Automatic Repair loop on W8.1 with an SSD

It's fine I just want to get it working again.

So I just do a fresh install from my USB stick on the Ssd? If it ask to format the ssd I say yes?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Just to be safe I can chose from the following: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397675422.722323.jpg

Both drive 2 and drive 0 are my SSD they are the ones with 110gb and 100 mb respectively. Do I install it on the 110gb or delete the 100mb or format etc..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
I think your SSD is drive0. The 100MB partition on drive2 is a leftover from an older OS installation. That is useless.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Nevermind. I'm in windows. Thanks for all the help everyone I gotta get to installing programs now.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397677812.815814.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397677812.815814.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Good news.

There is no need to tamper with the tiny 100MB partition. It's not worth it. Reclaiming that itty bitty bit of space is not easy and has all kinds of perils if you don't do it right.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Now. Is it possible to save this SSD as an img to recover later in the future. Or is a simple Windows System Restore point? I remember that in the usb stick I had W8 on I was able to enter the Windows System Restore but idk if it lets me select a restore from another drive other than the usb.

Edit any reason why the windows 8.1 install is stuck at setting up 58%?

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Your best bet to backup the system is to make an image. I use free Macrium but any other good imaging program (not Windows imaging) will do.

I have seen installations being stuck several times. It was usually a bad installation file. But there could be other reasons.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
All is good now. So in summary:

I image the SSD and its 100mb partition to HDD 1 and then restore it on HDD 2 right?

Also, there was no possible way of recovering this SSD back to bootable state while keeping the data on it? It's done already, but just wanted to know for the future.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
If you install the system a second time on the PC, you need an extra product key. It will run for 30 days but then one of your systems will shut down.

Your SSD was all mucked up. Even Macrium could not deal with it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Hmm, so if I make the image it will ask for the key on the hard drive I recover the image to.. didn't except that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hmm, so if I make the image it will ask for the key on the hard drive I recover the image to.. didn't except that.
If you only keep 1 system, then no. That is considered a transfer. But if you want to permanently run 2 of the same system on the PC, then you need 2 keys.

It is the same if e.g. you want to run a second same system in virtual or from a USB stick. That is the disadvantage with Windows. With Linux you do not have that problem.

Why would you want this second system anyhow. It will only give you grief.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
No what I meant to do is save this IMg for the day my ssd fails and I can just recover it on my hdd and throw away the ssd. So it is just 1 system. Ocz ssds have a high failure rate. Heck, the company even filed for bankruptcy.

Anyways, thanks for everything to you both I'll mark this thread as solved when I get home.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
For your purpose you make images - and make those frequently that you are always up-to-date. A duplicte installation will not help you much in a year from now. This will be all old stuff.

Btw: I have 3 OCZs - the oldest from 2008, the youngest fro 2011 - and they are all still working.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back