Solved Audio Over HDMI Cable Not Working - HDMI Cable Not Plugged

Thanks so much for helping me. I see exactly what you've done but I can't locate the DisplayAudio folder on my system. Where exactly is it on yours? Thanks again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C855
    CPU
    Intel Pentium CPU B980 @2.4GHz
    Memory
    6.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Processor Graphics 2000
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in, external Samsung 19" Syncmaster, Coby 23" HDTV
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K250
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless Trackball M570
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    WIndows Defender
Thanks so much for helping me. I see exactly what you've done but I can't locate the DisplayAudio folder on my system. Where exactly is it on yours? Thanks again.

In my case, I downloaded the latest driver for my display adapter (Intel Iris 5100) as a ZIP file. After unpacking the ZIP, there was a folder called DisplayAudio that contained the HD audio driver. As I mentioned, the main Display driver was installed by a Setup.exe, but the HD Audio driver had to be installed separately (manually) from the DisplayAudio folder.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
Thanks for your help - I'm having problems doing the same at the Intel site. There's a Java problem but I have it installed. I'm getting a new flatscreen in a few days - I connect my laptop to an ancient Samsung syncmaster that refuses to die and a crap flatscreen (Coby) in order to stream. I'll replace the Coby and perhaps the problem will be solved. I also have an external speaker. Thanks so much for all your help. I'm going to mark this solved as I think you have provided the correct answer and the problem lies in my flawed implementation - lol!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C855
    CPU
    Intel Pentium CPU B980 @2.4GHz
    Memory
    6.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Processor Graphics 2000
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in, external Samsung 19" Syncmaster, Coby 23" HDTV
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K250
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless Trackball M570
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    WIndows Defender
Thanks to BoulderJ

Thank you BoulderJ! I just completed my HTPC build and was getting no audio over HDMI. Spent days looking for the problem. Your clear description of the problem and solution were exactly what I needed.

There are similar threads on the Intel Community forums, in particular for HD Graphics 4400 and 4600, where many others are baffled by this issue. I took the liberty of referring them to your post.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3270
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 6
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Mcafee
Have got to say thank you for posting was having issues with my Zbox with a Intel HD 3000 graphics behaving really strange. My Zotac Zbox ID82U was running Intel HD 3000 then through a VSX-1023 to a LG 60PB5600 and had video but no audio. Followed your directions and saved me endless time/effort. Was just about to package the LG up and send it back but this saved me having to do that. Thank you Thank You.

Hope this helps many other people with the same issue.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I've seen several of these posts about HDMI audio not passing to an external monitor (e.g. TV). I had this problem and found the solution, so I thought I'd pass it on. My PC is an Asus notebook running Win 8.1 with an Intel Iris 5100 Graphics adapter and Realtek HD Audio. While what I found may not apply to your system, I'm guessing it does to many.

The problem was recognizing that for HDMI output with audio, there are three (3) drivers involved:

1. The Display driver (e.g. Intel Iris Graphics 5100)
2. The Audio driver (e.g. Realtek HD Audio)
3. The Display Audio driver ("Display Audio" part of the Display driver)

After installing the latest drivers for 1 & 2, I then:

- Rebooted the PC
- Plugged in the HDMI cable to my TV
- Switched the PC display to Duplicate on the external monitor (TV)

At that point my Device Manager looked like this:

View attachment 35250

and my "Playback devices" in Sound looked like this:

View attachment 35251

I then installed a new driver for the "Display Audio" device. The new driver was part of my (Intel Iris 5100) Display driver files and located in a folder called "DisplayAudio". There was no Setup.exe for this driver, so it had to be installed manually - in other words, right-clicking on the Display Audio device in Device Manager and selecting "Update Driver software" then "Browse my computer for driver software".

After installing this driver, I did the reboot, plug-in in HDMI cable and set Duplicate display again (you have to do all three steps after each new driver install).

At that point my Device Manager looked like this:

View attachment 35253

and my "Playback devices" in Sound looked like this:

View attachment 35254

HDMI with audio is now working properly for me.

If you find a similar situation on your system, this should work. Good luck.

This worked for both of my Asus laptops. I actually had to download the Windows 8.1 version of the Intel Driver for both Windows 7 and 8.1. I googled "Intel Display Audio" and it takes you to "Other downloads for Intel HD Graphics". Then just as BoulderJ says, you update your High Definition Audio Driver and select the zip folder you just extracted (DisplayAudio).

Thanks BoulderJ!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
Back