Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
Sorry about necroing this thread, but it's the top hit on Google for "asus 7790 freeze".

Anyway - the card has serious issues with its RAM voltage and frequency control. I don't know if it has mismatched lookup tables or whatever, but for certain RAM frequencies, it supplies too low of a voltage, and then the OS freezes.

Since it's a custom card BIOS, nothing can be done about it in hardware.

But something can be done in software. Not all of it, mind you (custom BIOS... won't honor 2D/3D/idle settings), but the solution - if anyone is still having problems - is to pin the RAM frequency to maximum at all time, effectively disabling power saving for RAM. It's not going to amount to much energy lost, but it's going to fix the freezing. You can do that with various GPU utils, or even through XML editing for AMD driver profiles.

The GPU can happily scale voltage and frequency, so leave that alone. It's just the RAM that's causing issues.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Graphics Card(s)
Sorry about necroing this thread, but it's the top hit on Google for "asus 7790 freeze".

Anyway - the card has serious issues with its RAM voltage and frequency control. I don't know if it has mismatched lookup tables or whatever, but for certain RAM frequencies, it supplies too low of a voltage, and then the OS freezes.

Since it's a custom card BIOS, nothing can be done about it in hardware.

But something can be done in software. Not all of it, mind you (custom BIOS... won't honor 2D/3D/idle settings), but the solution - if anyone is still having problems - is to pin the RAM frequency to maximum at all time, effectively disabling power saving for RAM. It's not going to amount to much energy lost, but it's going to fix the freezing. You can do that with various GPU utils, or even through XML editing for AMD driver profiles.

The GPU can happily scale voltage and frequency, so leave that alone. It's just the RAM that's causing issues.

Thats very interesting! I will try it(probably in a few weeks) and will report back.
Thanks.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Eh, I just realized that fixing the memory clock at 1600 just won't work under Windows 8.1 for some reason. I upgraded from 8.0 to 8.1 today, and I got freezing.

Tried something called Bonaire Power Management Tweaker: ASUS R7 260X DC2-OC-2GD5 - Power Management Tweaker - Guru3D.com Forums

Maybe that will work. If it doesn't, I'm taking a hammer and smashing this stupid card to pieces. None of the BIOS editors won't even read its BIOS, so I can't even try that route.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Graphics Card(s)
Hey Matija,

thanks for your reply anyways. Maybe it is of some help to those poor fellows suffering from the same issue.

For me, I must say, I was not able to solve the problem (on software site). So finally I RMAd the card and what I got back stopped the freezing - though the fan is much louder now. Unfortunately, I do not know what they did to get the card kind of "back to life" (except for somehow increasing the cooling power/maybe changing the fan?). And it still is a miracle to me, that the card ran fine using Win7 but stopped doing so under Win8.1 - and again, what those guys from the shop did (except for messing with the cards fan), that it does not cause freezes now?!

(Or maybe they did send me a different card and I just did not notice it, cause I expected it to be the same ;p)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-made
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-4570
    Motherboard
    ASRock Fatal1ty H87 Performance
    Memory
    2x 4GB DDR3-1600 Kingston ValueRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 DirectCU II OC, 2GB
    Sound Card
    OnBoard
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro Series
    Seagate ST2000
    PSU
    Enermax Liberty ELT500AWT
Check GPU/mem frequencies with GPU-Z or something similar. I've read somewhere that 260X cards (the rebranded 7790) mostly got new BIOS versions which disables a lot of power saving, and in some cases pins both the frequencies to max in 2D. If your fan sounds louder, maybe it's the same thing.

The main problem with these cards seems to be with Hynix RAM - all of it, or certain batches. GDDR5 is pushed to as low as 150 MHz, which it doesn't like, at least not with the voltages the card gives it. Different driver versions may have done different things to idle frequencies and low power states. Things differ even in the underlying OS - like I said, 8.0 let me pin 2D mem to 1600 MHz, 8.1 with the same drivers won't... "Want_0" in driver profile XML does absolutely nothing in 8.1.

Since running that tweaker I linked yesterday, and setting the minimum clock to 300 MHz through a checkbox, I haven't had any freezes. I can't say if the problem is fixed; last year I've had periods where everything was fine for over a week, and then the computer froze five times in a single day.

My last resort, if this won't help, is to use MSI Afterburner. It has an "unofficial" overclocking mode which bypasses the AMD drivers and actually lets you set MHz for 2D and 3D. No power saving and dynamic frequencies, but if it's a solution, it's not that bad.

I'll keep you posted!

In the meantime, if anyone is still on 7 or 8.0, XML editing should do the trick.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Graphics Card(s)
So there is this huge thread Does anyone still get the AMD 7xxx bug where your monitor doesn't wake up from sleep? - Page 12 - AnandTech Forums with people having similar issues. The latest posts suggest that the latest "Omega drivers" fixed it.
The official release lists this issue as fixed. Worth trying I guess.

Capture3.PNG.png

I RMAd twice btw, no luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
That's a different issue, and Omega doesn't fix our freezing problem.

No freezes on my PC since the tweaker. If nothing happens until 2015 :D , I'll proclaim it a fix.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Graphics Card(s)
Back