ARGH!! (Venting Frustration, No Reply Needed)

This just happened to me too, I can't even turn my anti-viruses back on (AVG and Windows Defender).

I'm kind of disappointed that this thread turned into an AVG debate, I was hoping for probable solutions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1
I was hoping for probable solutions

I use Avast Internet Security.
Works good.
Only run 1 AV at a time.

Direct some specific questions at me & I'll try to provide good answers.
Vague questions are hard to deal with.
Use screenshots too.
I like pictures. :)

A picture---

screenshot_152.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
I'm kind of disappointed that this thread turned into an AVG debate
So am I, but I take comfort in knowing that at least two readers were helped by reading my misadventures.

Oh, and BTW, everybody, I tried switching to Windows Defender for a few weeks, but switched back to AVG when I realized I couldn't configure it to automatically download virus definition updates without allowing automatic, unattended installation of all Windows updates.

I was hoping for probable solutions.

I use [redacted].
Works good.
Telling people how terrific Brand X Antivirus is does nothing to provide a solution to the person whose system got hosed by Brand Y (even assuming the person knows unequivocally that Brand Y Antivirus is at fault, which in my case, I didn't). IMO, advice on how to avoid future messes, no matter how well-intentioned, should only be posted after one's current mess is resolved. For the record, the mess that caused me to start this thread is officially resolved, but the other people posting to this thread about similar messes - well, they came here for help, not for scolding about the decisions they made in the past that may have led them to need help, no matter how awful you may feel those decisions were.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Oh, and BTW, everybody, I tried switching to Windows Defender for a few weeks, but switched back to AVG when I realized I couldn't configure it to automatically download virus definition updates without allowing automatic, unattended installation of all Windows updates.

Actually you can.

Windows Defender can be updated via a very simple command-line utility included in Windows.
More info : Run (and Automate) Windows Defender from the Command Line

So running : "MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate" will update the definitions, bypassing the Windows Update service.
You can add a scheduled task with this command, it's relatively easy : http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2070-task-scheduler.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (x64)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Back