Are you a tablet skeptic?

It feels like modern tablets have been around a lot longer, but three years is still nothing to sneeze at. Reflecting upon the last three years of tablet mania, the Ars staff and contributors began to share stories about how our iPads or other tablets have changed how we interact with our devices and the Internet. Most of us were heavy tablet skeptics when the iPad was first announced, and some of us still are. So in honor of the three-year anniversary of the iPad, we decided to share some of our experiences with you on how our lives have changed—or how they haven't, depending the case.

Not everyone on staff feels like the iPad—or one of its competing Android or Windows equivalents—has made a dent in their lives. Here are the stories from those staffers who think the modern tablet has a way to go before it earns a permanent spot in their bags.

Read more at source:
"I was an iPad skeptic" | Ars Technica

While you can generally connect most Windows based tablets to a larger screen, keyboard, mouse etc, it really isn't an ideal solution. Anyone who uses large/multiple screens on a regular basis would really want a dedicated workstation setup. And given that one would already have the main components in place, having a workstation is hardly an added impost and you get something far more powerful and capable. Tablets are not designed to replace a workstation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I was originally skeptical of them, as I had an early smart-phone (LG) and a 15.6" laptop which was, for its
time, quite a good performer. It has all the connectivity one could desire and at 250GB, plenty of storage.

At the time, I remember thinking what a royal PITA it would be, carrying a 10" tab around, especially one
as limited as the iPad. I basically filed tabs under 'Nah, not interested' in my mental directory.

Moving along a few years, and the LG is long gone (always wondered what LG stood for), it drowned in a
toilet (???). And the 15.6" laptop's battery, never that great, has deteriorated to the point that about forty
minutes is about all you'll get out of it.

One year ago, I purchased my current laptop initially as a replacement for both the 15.6" laptop and my
aging (but considerably hotted-up) Pentium 4 desktop. As it turned out, they were not replaced but merely
assigned to other duties, but that's another story.

Anyway, the upshot was that I had nothing that was readily portable (this laptop certainly isn't, see my
System Specifications). My Android smart-phone is great, but at only 4" is a bit cramped for some tasks.

My original aversion to 10"+ tabs remained (and still does), and I won't buy fruit at gunpoint, so I began
looking at various 7" Android tabs. I wasn't looking to spend bags of money in case I found no real need
for a tab. Anyway, I bought a cheap Chinese Android 7" with Ice-Cream Sandwich installed. It's not a fire-
breathing dual or quad-core with 64GB of storage, it's a 1Ghz single-core with only 4GB internal storage.
However, at only A$129, with a USB wireless modem thrown in, I wasn't expecting i7 quad-core specs or
performance. It's more than adequate for my needs, though.

Storage wasn't a problem as I installed a 16GB microSD in the slot provided, and so far it's proved to be
more than adequate. MicroSD cards are super-cheap, so having two or more extra isn't exactly the end
of the world. The tab has not had a major impact on my usage of the 'big' computers, and has not come
close to superseding them for most of my computing tasks.

It gets used mainly as an e-book reader, and for casual browsing/entertainment when I'm NOT around my
primary machine. I can (and do) use it for basic computing tasks, but it is definitely an ADJUNCT to my
'big' machines, NOT a replacement. I'm not disappointed with it, and would certainly miss it if I lost it or if
it died. And it's WAY more portable/convenient than a 10" tab.

But it wasn't, and isn't, a must-have. Far from it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
I actually like my 10" Windows 7 tablet and it's basically my travel PC, plus desktop backup. In no way could it supplant my desktop, nor could any other tablet out there at the moment; I can't see any tablet running two 24" screens at the same time. Sometimes I use the tablet to watch TV, while I'm doing other things on the desktop.

My real problem is, if this tablet ever bit the dust, there is no other tablet with the features that it has, on the market, at the current time. It's physically no bigger than the Surface Pro, yet is as versatile as a desktop PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I have a...
desktop
laptop
tablet
smartphone

I very rarely use the tablet, although I can absolutely see a place for them. Occasionally I might bring the tablet with me to show a new batch of photos. Any other mobile need I fill with either the phone, or the laptop.

That's just me though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
@ Wenda LG = Lucky Goldstar ;)

My tablet, (a 7" Google Nexus 32GB), was quite reasonable at £199, and of course it's not a replacement for my desktop but is always on and within arms reach, and is an important part of my workflow.

I will often have it next to my Main system, displaying a live feed of the posts on this forum, so it acts as a third monitor, my HTC Desire S is connected to the main workstation via USB and a copy of MyPhoneExplorer, which allows me to receive and reply to phone calls and text messages via the PC. When I'm not at home a similar link between phone and Tablet allows similar functionality.

When I'm out in the wilds, photographing wildlife, my tablet becomes a useful backup Image store and more importantly a reasonably sized screen for checking image suitability.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Real World Computing
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    32GB [4x8GB] DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus nVidia GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 (2GB DDR5)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xoner DG + SPDIF to 5.1 System + HDMI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G276HL 27", (DVi) + Samsung 39" HDTV (HDMI)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 @60Hz + 1920 x 1080 @60Hz
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial 256GB SSD,
    WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 3TB,
    Toshiba HDWD130 3TB
    Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1 2TB,

External (USB3)
    Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk 8TB
    2.5/3.5 Hot Swap Cradle, USB3 + eSata (client HDDs)

NAS
    Seagate ST4000DM000
    PSU
    Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+ Silver
    Case
    AeroCool X-Warrior Devil Red Tower
    Cooling
    Stock CPU, Rear 120mm, Front 2x120mm, Side 2x120mm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K710 & K270
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless M710 M185 & M570 Trackball
    Internet Speed
    37Mb/s Down - 9.5Mb/s Up
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender Total Security 2017
    Other Info
    Also run...

Desktop - 6Core 8GB - Windows 10 Enterprise x64,
    Laptop - Quad 8GB - Windows 10 Pro x64
    Netbook - Ubuntu
    2 x Nexus 7 Android tablets
    Samsung 10.2" tablet
    Sony Z3 Android Smartphone
    HTC One Android Smartphone
While you can generally connect most Windows based tablets to a larger screen, keyboard, mouse etc, it really isn't an ideal solution. Anyone who uses large/multiple screens on a regular basis would really want a dedicated workstation setup. And given that one would already have the main components in place, having a workstation is hardly an added impost and you get something far more powerful and capable. Tablets are not designed to replace a workstation.

Obviously.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I literally can't even fathom why people legitimately spend 500+ dollars on something that literally, an ipod touch does but just four times bigger....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I literally can't even fathom why people legitimately spend 500+ dollars on something that literally, an ipod touch does but just four times bigger....
Because it's 4x bigger, easier to type on, easier to see and read. You aren't an Apple user and an Apple fan and fail to see any appeal. But millions upon millions of sold devices should clearly indicate to you that there certainly is appeal.

The iPad's are trendy and there are a lot of add-ons for them (cases, covers, keyboards, etc). There is a lot of good app support from the iTunes store. It's a consistent experience with the cell phones that many of them already use (you have to see the appeal in this, as Microsoft is trying to create the exact same thing). It's the device of choice in my creative arts areas (like video, music, etc). While you can run things like Pro Tools on a PC, very few actually do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I use my iPad when I want to futz. I use my laptop when real work needs to be done. But hey, that's just me. I'm more skeptical of an OS with a user interface that wants to make my laptop pretend its a tablet. ;)

-jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint and Windows 8 Pro
    Asus G75VW
    CPU
    i7
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16G
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17"
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 5400 rpm 1T and Seagate 7200 rpm 500G.
    Internet Speed
    30M down, 5M up
    Other Info
    Oracle Virtual Box
    Ubuntu 64 bit
Because it's 4x bigger, easier to type on, easier to see and read. You aren't an Apple user and an Apple fan and fail to see any appeal. But millions upon millions of sold devices should clearly indicate to you that there certainly is appeal.

The iPad's are trendy and there are a lot of add-ons for them (cases, covers, keyboards, etc). There is a lot of good app support from the iTunes store. It's a consistent experience with the cell phones that many of them already use (you have to see the appeal in this, as Microsoft is trying to create the exact same thing). It's the device of choice in my creative arts areas (like video, music, etc). While you can run things like Pro Tools on a PC, very few actually do.

Easier to type on is debatable. But I used to own an ipod touch, first gen. I saw appeal to that with it being a touch ipod, which was pretty awesome actually when it got ios 2 (after a 10 dollar fee). I just don't get that appeal for the ipad, I've always figured it to be an old man's ipod touch: bigger and easier to read, easier to touch, and simple UI design that is skeuomorphic. I see more older people with an ipad than I do younger. Maybe that's my area that I live in though...

But the thing I can't get is why someone will legitimately spend over 1,000 dollars on an ipad and addons to get it to function halfway to a laptop or even tablet PC. Yet, when they do try to get it work like a PC, the simple fact there is no USB port means EVERYTHING has to be done and transferred over wifi or through cloud services. That's not always possible however.

That's the other thing I don't like about how apple used ios on the ipad, things are constricted to what the iphone can do. If that were a Windows 8 tablet PC, such things wouldn't exist. What do can do on Windows 8 can't be done on Windows Phone 8 simply because Windows 8 supports an ideal form factor to do so, like running iTunes to resync an iphone. Also, the UIs of Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 aren't the same, they adapt to the form factor they're used on. An example is how on Windows Phone, Start Screen scrolling is up and down, with All Apps being a side swipe. On Windows 8, that's side to side with All Apps soon to be bottom to top swipe. It's similar, but not exact. THAT is the somewhat key difference. Convergence over cloning.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Apple are hardware manufacturers and self appointed Lifestyle Gurus, who dabble, (or should that be dapple), with operating systems, it's not surprising that the operating systems from Microsoft are more usable, as they have always been primaraly a software house ;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Real World Computing
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    32GB [4x8GB] DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus nVidia GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 (2GB DDR5)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xoner DG + SPDIF to 5.1 System + HDMI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G276HL 27", (DVi) + Samsung 39" HDTV (HDMI)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 @60Hz + 1920 x 1080 @60Hz
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial 256GB SSD,
    WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 3TB,
    Toshiba HDWD130 3TB
    Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1 2TB,

External (USB3)
    Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk 8TB
    2.5/3.5 Hot Swap Cradle, USB3 + eSata (client HDDs)

NAS
    Seagate ST4000DM000
    PSU
    Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+ Silver
    Case
    AeroCool X-Warrior Devil Red Tower
    Cooling
    Stock CPU, Rear 120mm, Front 2x120mm, Side 2x120mm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K710 & K270
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless M710 M185 & M570 Trackball
    Internet Speed
    37Mb/s Down - 9.5Mb/s Up
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender Total Security 2017
    Other Info
    Also run...

Desktop - 6Core 8GB - Windows 10 Enterprise x64,
    Laptop - Quad 8GB - Windows 10 Pro x64
    Netbook - Ubuntu
    2 x Nexus 7 Android tablets
    Samsung 10.2" tablet
    Sony Z3 Android Smartphone
    HTC One Android Smartphone

This exactly right, it's precisely what Microsoft is trying to emulate. Whoever thinks that 100,000,000 iPad users and rapidly the same number of Android users don't have a clue, need to return to their alternate reality world.

Yes, there may be over a billion Windows PC users, but they also own Apple and Android devices, and many of those PCs (including laptops) are in the corporate environment. Two entirely different, situations.

My Computer

System One

• OS
There are also a number of the over a billion Windows PC users that won't buy an android or ipad tablet simply because of the lack of features per dollar versus a PC....

Mustn't forget that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Yes, and those vast numbers who won't buy and Android or iPad, can be pretty much counted on this forum.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Yes, and those vast numbers who won't buy and Android or iPad, can be pretty much counted on this forum.
Nah, it's more like those with an ounce of logic.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Nah, it's more like those with an ounce of logic.

So everyone who buys an iPad or an Android tablet is dumb?
Personally, that depends. If someone spent over 1,000 dollars to attempt to replace the use of a laptop, then yeah, I consider them to be an iDiot because that 1,000 can be WELL better spent on a touch enabled PC especially nowadays. Even a mac....

But if the tablet was for simple web feasting, meh. That's basically what a smartphone does, except the ipad and android tablets are blown up smartphones minus the phone. So that's what the ipad and android tablets are used for, within their respective software/hardware limitations.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
What Android or Apple tablet costs over $1000? Which Apple/Android buyers look to replace their PC with an Apple/Android tablet? What tablet costs over $1000? Surface Pro and other Windows 8 tablets.

There are nearly 200,000,000 and growing reasons why Apple/Android tablets are doing well. Microsoft wants to be part of that growing reason, but has it made the right move?

mobtrend.JPG

My Computer

System One

• OS
I offered to buy my kids tablets last christmas. They said to me "What on earth for?"

My sons are 16, 17 and 21. They said "Our PCs do everything we need and more when we are at home. When we are out, everything we want or need is available on our smartphones". "Why would we want another oversized portable device that is at high risk of being lost, stolen or damaged, doesn't fit in our pockets, and is totally useless when we are at home, are insanely expensive to repair if they break, and doesn't offer us anything new?"

These teens are into facebook, skype, full time students, have jobs, are heavily into sport (playing and spectating), and socialise almost entirely using technology, and they see tablets as irrelevant.

When asked what else they would want from a technology perspective they said "Not windows 8, that's for sure". The only thing they wanted was a stable internet connection. They tell me that their attitudes are commonplace amongst their other Gen-Y peers.

Who am I to argue!? Saves me money on higher insurance policies.

:shock:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64
    Home Made
    CPU
    Intel I7-3770K running @ OC 4.6ghz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Extreme6 Z77
    Memory
    32GB G-Skill CL10Q @ 2400
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX670 SC 4gb
    Sound Card
    Creative XFI Fataility Platinum
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27" x 2 E2742-BV
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (OS) SATA 3
    1TB WD1000EARX SATA 3 Data
    WD15EADS 1.5TB
    PSU
    Corsair HX650 Silver Professional Series
    Case
    HAF 932 ADV
    Cooling
    Corair H100 liquid cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech G110 Gamer keyboard
    Mouse
    Razor Mamba
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 2+ 20.0mbps
    Other Info
    Gigabit infrastructure; Cabling, switches; DSL2750B Modem/Router All PCs connect to Windows 2008 R2 server for website, coldfusion, SQL, Firebird and media sharing & WSUS
I offered to buy my kids tablets last christmas. They said to me "What on earth for?"

My sons are 16, 17 and 21. They said "Our PCs do everything we need and more when we are at home. When we are out, everything we want or need is available on our smartphones". "Why would we want another oversized portable device that is at high risk of being lost, stolen or damaged, doesn't fit in our pockets, and is totally useless when we are at home, are insanely expensive to repair if they break, and doesn't offer us anything new?"

These teens are into facebook, skype, full time students, have jobs, are heavily into sport (playing and spectating), and socialise almost entirely using technology, and they see tablets as irrelevant.

When asked what else they would want from a technology perspective they said "Not windows 8, that's for sure". The only thing they wanted was a stable internet connection. They tell me that their attitudes are commonplace amongst their other Gen-Y peers.

Who am I to argue!? Saves me money on higher insurance policies.

:shock:

That pretty much summarises what I've observed. All the young ones that I know (way more than I realised), live by their iPhones for just about everything when out and about. The ones who use tablets (iPads or Android) are all of an older generation.

When you think about it, the younger generation can live with a small screen device because they usually have good eyesight; whereas, the older generation doesn't, but also doesn't want to lug around a heavy device. So the tablet is the tool of the older generation. That makes tablets way uncool, it's what your mother, father, grandmother, grandfather uses. :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back