Solved Are these updates required to update to 8.1 ?

I haven't seen anything to say you have to by Jan. 2016.
---------------------------
ohhhhh that's great - o.k. so i can do both closer to July, '16.... i know i have to update to 8.1 but feel tenuous about it ...but i have to bite the bullet eventually ... i know one doesn't hear the 'success' stories - only those writing in for 'help' after attempting the update. LOL ... thanks again .. edythe

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (plain '8')
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Lenovo
    Browser
    CHROME & /OR AOL
    Antivirus
    McAfee ISS
    Other Info
    SuperAntiSpyWare/MalewareBytes
Only if you didn't want to. :)
--------------------
But 'why' wouldn't anyone want to reserve a 'free' copy of '10 ? what am i missing here ? thanks

What you are 'missing' is that for some folk it just doesn't seem to work. I'm no stranger to installing Windows and occasionally having to jump through a few hoops to get a driver etc for some device or other that is a problem but here, W10 itself won't install correctly, before you even move on to do anything else. My 9yr old Acer on the other hand has run W10 very well once a couple of driver issues were sorted.

Shawn may remember my tale of woe with W10. I have a Dell Vostro laptop and it will not (for whatever reasons) successfully clean install W10 or do an upgrade install of W10. The in place upgrade is unusable with every mouse click taking 10' of seconds to action. The clean install blue screens at the final stages and crashes out.

My master plan was to have put the original Dell OEM W7 version back on the Vostro and updated to W10. I would have then used the W8.1 full license on the Acer and bring that up to W10. But it wasn't to be. And what is more, I really like W8.1 :)

OK, so all that was some weeks ago now, and perhaps the W10 file is updated to include fixes for whatever was stopping it installing. On the other hand, even the Dell website specifically says the Vostro 3750 does not support W10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Vostro 3750/Acer 9301
    CPU
    Intel i5/AMD Turion 64
    Memory
    4Gb/2Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel i5 internal/NVidia GEFORCE GO 6100
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Hard Drives
    250Gb SSD and 120Gb
    Mouse
    HP Z4000
    Internet Speed
    76 down, 20 up
    Browser
    MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender
thanks for your reply - i guess i phrased my question incorrectly - i didn't mean i'd install '10 until I'd know kinks were worked-out - i meant just ''reserve' it while it's 'free' and have it sitting 'uninstalled' ...Sorry for the confusion - reading your post i can see why people don't want it thanks again !

Only if you didn't want to. :)
--------------------
But 'why' wouldn't anyone want to reserve a 'free' copy of '10 ? what am i missing here ? thanks

What you are 'missing' is that for some folk it just doesn't seem to work. I'm no stranger to installing Windows and occasionally having to jump through a few hoops to get a driver etc for some device or other that is a problem but here, W10 itself won't install correctly, before you even move on to do anything else. My 9yr old Acer on the other hand has run W10 very well once a couple of driver issues were sorted.

Shawn may remember my tale of woe with W10. I have a Dell Vostro laptop and it will not (for whatever reasons) successfully clean install W10 or do an upgrade install of W10. The in place upgrade is unusable with every mouse click taking 10' of seconds to action. The clean install blue screens at the final stages and crashes out.

My master plan was to have put the original Dell OEM W7 version back on the Vostro and updated to W10. I would have then used the W8.1 full license on the Acer and bring that up to W10. But it wasn't to be. And what is more, I really like W8.1 :)

OK, so all that was some weeks ago now, and perhaps the W10 file is updated to include fixes for whatever was stopping it installing. On the other hand, even the Dell website specifically says the Vostro 3750 does not support W10.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 (plain '8')
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo
    Browser
    CHROME & /OR AOL
    Antivirus
    McAfee ISS