Are SSDs the new RAM for boosting system performance?

RAM was once the king of the system performance boost. Now, there's a new kid in town that's usurping the throne: SSDs.

SSDs are the new performance panacea. But, when SSDs first hit the scene a few years ago, we hated them. They were small--too small to be useful and too slow for anything but Netbooks. Technology took hold and now SSDs are our new heroes. They are the new RAM. Still a little pricey for widespread consumer use; servers, high-end laptops and ultrabooks come equipped with them. And, they're fast. They're cool. Sure, they're cool in the vernacular sense of the word but they're also cool in the Fahrenheit/Celsius sense too. No moving parts means cooler temps and cooler laps under them. My favorite thing to say about SSDs is that, "They toil not and neither do they spin."

Read more at source:
Are SSDs the new RAM for boosting system performance? | ZDNet

It is funny when people think that an SSD only enhances boot times. I wish more people realized boot time was such an individual and personalized beast. It will vary from board to board and it will vary further depending on what hardware is paired with each board and it goes on further up through the entire configuration. There is no way to actually improve boot times as a whole in the same sense that increasing performance in other areas can be handled.

So far we have built dozens of machines and upgraded dozens more with 128gb SSDs as the primary drive some with 1 or 2tb legacy drives for storage and some with 300gb raptors in the more aggressive systems. ALL of the SSDs have increased performance dramatically and ALL of those are still running reliably. Not all of the 1 and 2tb legacy drives have survived to the point and not all of the raptor drives made it either.

We paid less for the SSD drives than the raptors though just recently the raptors dropped in price a whole lot. We paid about the same price for the 2tb drives as we did the SSDs as well.

Conclusion? The price to buy a new SSD in the 128gb range is equivalent to the price for legacy drives in either performance or raw size category. The performance is much better than a legacy drive by a lot though making them equals depending on what exactly it is you want. You should have 2 drives installed these days one for the OS one for storage either internally or externally. As a primary drive the SSD is not only big enough but also perfectly affordable as an option at this point in time. The performance and reliability far beyond that of any legacy drive.

This is what I have seen first hand building systems on a regular basis.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build (What Else Would It Be?)
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
    Memory
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX HD-697A-CNDC Radeon HD6970 2GB 256-bit
    Sound Card
    Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Edition
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 25 Inch Hanns-G HZ251
    Screen Resolution
    3840x1080 (1920x1080 x2)
    PSU
    Corsair 850W Single Rail
    Case
    Thermaltake V9 BlacX w/ Dual HDD Docking Station
    Cooling
    Air/Copper
    Keyboard
    Kensington (Low-Profile)
    Mouse
    Creative Fatal1ty
    Internet Speed
    Cable 15Gbit (15 Down 5 Up)
    Other Info
    XIGMATEK HDT-S1284F 120mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler, LG Blu-Ray Burner.
I put a 128GB SSD in my desktop and a 64GB in my laptop. I seen a big difference in both systems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
and just picked up an ocz vertex 4:) to replace a 64gb ssd i already had which has found a new home in my netbook...though doesn't really change it's performance sadly.
Of course it doesn't improve performance. the "real" benefit of an SSD is the ultra low random access times. This hasn't improved between new and old models of SSD. In benchmarks your overall throughput speed should increase a lot, but that doesn't usually amount to much from a tangible performance standpoint.

the performance i was talking about was on the netbook it had a spinner, not my main pc where i put the vertex 4.

the netbook does run better just not by much due to other hardware limitations.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
I like the fact that the SSD's are silent and don't generate any heat! I upgraded from a 150GB WD Raptor 10k boot drive that sounded like a plane taking off!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports
Back