Apple unveils new Cylindrical Macbook

Hi there
I'm not sure if the market will really take to a top of the range MacBook with yet even MORE processing power -- OK some people will buy it - like some people will always buy a Ferrari - but I can't see this as being any more than a niche product.

The machine though does look absolutely Stunning -- in my younger days I would have certainly opeted for one.

Can't give you any pics unfortunately but read the article. The reference to the PC is in the article.

Apple unveils music streaming service, revamps iOS - Yahoo! Finance

While this stuff is great I don't think it will save Apple's bacon though. Their radio service also seems a bit pointless -- there's zillions of free stations already -- just use things like Tunein --works on computers, phones, tablets etc and is 100% FREE.

Cheers
jimbo

^ Usable on all hardware would be awesome, but it would come at the cost of system instability. That's one thing Apple has always had going for it, very small # of hardware and drives to cater to.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
It's a PC guy that pokes at all things Apple that has said to me several times that Apple should get out of the hardware business and just make OS X and have it installable on all hardware.

Why they won't do it? It's because they want people to BUY the systems which RUN their OSs. I Wish they WOULD allow MACOS to be installed straight to PCs though - Ans d start selling it as an OS, MANY people would buy it, even me. If I could have a dual Boot MACOS/Windows 8 machine - On a PC! I would love that. But the only way I would be able to do it is on a Macbook Pro.

I've talked to people who work for Apple and brought this up, MANY times. Maybe one of these days they will release a universally-installable MACOS system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
^ Usable on all hardware would be awesome, but it would come at the cost of system instability. That's one thing Apple has always had going for it, very small # of hardware and drives to cater to.

AGREED. It is because their OS will work only with the products on the Apple Tree, that it can be installed on all of those products.

But Windows 8 can be installed and is stable on a wide variety of hardware scenarios - The Drivers for many OLD Hardware Products being carried inside of the default OS. ON my two PC's - Both ancient Asus MBs - All Display and Audio and Chipset hardware was identified and properly supported.

All Apple would have to do is build a Hardware Support Library to rival MS's - They cold make quite a bit of money if they did this, and the percentage of Windows to Apple systems would increase to 50-50- I'm SURE of it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
2006 OSX 5.39% marketshare
2012 OSX 7.13% marketshare
(these numbers are a from a few minutes of searching the intertubes. If you find them to be off, please post what you find.)

It's been known for a long time that the success of iOS has created more Mac adoption. The halo effect I think it is called.

Apparently not that much Mac adoption, looks like iOS adopters still prefer Windows. Had Apple not concentrated all their efforts on mobile they'd be non existent.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Apple tried the same Mac Pro concept before, it was called the G4 Cube that was also niche and died a quick death.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Its not gonna be like that Sony stupid box thing, that doesnt do what its supposed to do with dohickeys and extra megapixels is it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    AMD Turion RM-70 Dual Core 2.0 GHZ
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    MS Intellipoint 5 button (love it!)
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
    Avast Free & Malwarebytes
Hi there.

This type of gear is relatively INDEPENDENT of how useful it actually is -- as I said before a FERRARI isn't really of much use ferrying kids to school / vacation camps etc with all their clobber or going to the supermarket to buy a month's worth of groceries but people STILL buy Ferrari's (if you are lucky enough to have the money !!).

Apple products of this type no matter HOW expensive will always sell to devotees of the Apple marque - but the question here is will it sell enough to generate a decent income stream.

As for subscription music services - I really can't see the point in paying for Radio for example - there's literally millions of FREE services all over the web of every genre you could possibly want -- I'm currently listening to Classical New England (Boston MA) from several thousand KM away and at a decent quality as well (WGBH also broadcasts in HD sound too on the net).

As for music - I've ripped all my own CDs to FLAC a long time ago and I certainly am not interested in any DRM'd stuff that stops me using any device I want to play the music on. There's very little NEW stuff out there that I would actually want to buy anyway - but if you want specialized music it's all out there LEGAL and free --and usually commercial free too. I can't see Apple making a lot of dosh with their Radio service --too many FREE alternatives.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• cne.png
    cne.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 94

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop