Apple drinks the Microsoft Kool Aid, bases iOS 7 on Window

Oh that Ralph Nader kaboom car! Did you have a tendency to look into the rear view mirror a lot? :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
This works great on my Android as well. Sure the hell beats typing on the small on-screen keyboard. Our modern technology is something to behold.

I'm old enough to remember seeing the premiere of 2001: A Space Odyssey in the summer of 69......"Sorry, Dave, I can't do that". I was 18. I thought I'd never see the day to speak to a computer let alone a cell phone! There were no desktop PCs nor cell phones.
Man you're old :p

I'm just old enough to remember when gas was below a buck. By the time I got my license when I was 16, gas prices had already gone up above 2 bucks. Nowadays, it's doubled that.

Anyway, that makes me just old enough to remember when you still had to launch windows from dos.

Yeah getting up there! About to retire. Sounds like I have about 20 years on you. I'll be 62 in June.
Um... you actually have 30-some years on me... and 40 years on my boyfriend. Base on this rate, I want to see robots cleaning my toilets before I'm 60.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

I'm just old enough to remember when gas was below a buck. By the time I got my license when I was 16, gas prices had already gone up above 2 bucks. Nowadays, it's doubled that.

Anyway, that makes me just old enough to remember when you still had to launch windows from dos.

I can remember buying gas for my first car for $0.22 and what is Windows.

I think you're about my age. I worked a gas station in the summer of 67. I was a sophomore. We had is special > 10 gallons for two bucks. That give some idea of inflation. Damn OPEC! You probably remember the gas lines in 72. They were fun weren't they?! :(

Lol! Windows are what we looked out of. :D

I will be 69 in May. Have been semi retired for about 18 years. PCs were not even a dream in 67.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Well, they got them little robots that sweep your kitchen, hopefully well see a fully working Mr Data soon. But then he'll sue us for exploitation! hahaha

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.

Yeah getting up there! About to retire. Sounds like I have about 20 years on you. I'll be 62 in June.
Um... you actually have 30-some years on me... and 40 years on my boyfriend. Base on this rate, I want to see robots cleaning my toilets before I'm 60.

Me bad! I should have phrased it quite differently. I forgot you are female. I know all too well not to offend a woman in regards to age!

You revealed quite a lot there, goodintentions. Not only your age, but you're a "cradle robber" as we say here. Good for you, though! My girlfriend is 18 years my younger. She did have a problem with it at first, but has accepted "the odds". :)

Until the robots get here, I suggest you have your boyfriend clean the toilets. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
And when it is released, MS will sue Apple for copying their design. :busted:

Jim :p
Actually, they legally could as Microsoft has patented the Windows Phone UI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I know all the iPhone users in my household are jealous of my Nokia 920.
Now they make ME take all the pictures. ha! And you should see the envy when I just lay it on the charger to recharge....

Envy? You might as well lug around a spare phone given the size of the charger. Wireless charging has been around for a while, it's not really picking up steam. You still have the cord, the wall charger and then you add the additional hardware of the charging platform. This doesn't trump the charger to USB cable that is the current standard.

It's a cute little gimmick but plugging in a cable really isn't a problem that needed a solution. Are your iPhone friends really envious of a wireless charger?
apple fanboys...

It's fun to see them react to simple things that android and Windows Phone have that the iphone doesn't...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Personally I think this a big mistake on Apple's mistake. There is nothing wrong with the current graphical environment in the i0S. It works and it's familiar why do they want to go down a flat button/Microsoft route for? I would think for Io7 they could open it up so that themes can be applied and reset the screen so that widgets can be added.

All of those things require filesystem access, they will never agree to it unless they put the themes in themselves and put in a control that allows you to select from a pre installed theme.

Apples motivation for releasing new IOS's is not what it looks like, but does it BLOCK Jailbreaking. The mistake Apple made was removing Personal Choice from the decision of which iOS you can use, our only choice is to NOT update to their latest iOS.

You'll notice there were 6 rapid iOS updates in a row when iOS 6.0 to 6.1.2 were jailbroken - the they gave bogus reasons for these hurried updates. The reason why they released 6.1.3 was BOGUS, it was released to break eVasi0n, not to fix the lock screen bug, because that bug was proved to not be fixed at all in 6.1.3.

So, if they do decide to make iOS look as flat and lame as Windows 8 tiles, I'll stick with iOS 6.1.2 and lock it down so it cannot be updated.

It's my personal choice to run Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8, and I'm glad Microsoft does not force ut to use Windows 8.
The bogus reasons for the 6.xx updates for ios was actually due to a security issue that cropped not once, but TWICE. If you had a passcode on your iphone, the first time you could do a series of steps to bypass it. An update came by to fix that, and I think with a Microsoft Exchange issue as well. Then it was found after the update that you could once again, bypass the passcode by taking out the SIM card I believe and doing something else. Basically, it was easier the second time to do that than the first, then an update came and fixed that.

Personally, I don't like apple partly because of iTunes. A friend of mine who is iffy now about their iphone 4s HATES iTunes 11, I mean, wow. I don't blame her as it is an AWFUL Zune ripoff, my GOD! You think Windows 8 is hard to use, use iTunes 11. But anyways, there currently isn't really a way to sync a newer iphone without iTunes, every ios update also makes it much more difficult to crack that.

If apple were a government system, it would be soviet communism.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
This works great on my Android as well. Sure the hell beats typing on the small on-screen keyboard. Our modern technology is something to behold.

I'm old enough to remember seeing the premiere of 2001: A Space Odyssey in the summer of 69......"Sorry, Dave, I can't do that". I was 18. I thought I'd never see the day to speak to a computer let alone a cell phone! There were no desktop PCs nor cell phones.

One thing that is Superior with the galaxy IIIS versus the iPhone 4S and 5 is the voice recognition. I had taken ill on Christmas last year and my friends daughter took me home, she had a brand new Galaxy and was tweeking with it all during dinner -When she got in the car she continued to tweek with it, opening apps by voice, getting directions to my house, and at the same time holding a text conversation with someone else by Voice.

I had to install all kinds of extra addons to get similar functionality out of Siri, Assistant Love, SiriToggles, Hands Free. It worked great for a month, then I installed something that deleted my name from Siri, and suddenly I could no longer open apps, it would just say I don't have any apps installed.
I'll have to try the GS III's voice recognition, as pretty much all android handsets kind of suck with that compared to Windows Phone 7 and 8. iphone's isn't that great.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I shall have the last laugh when this happens!

This is funny to me because of people who say Windows Phone sucks and whatnot who are iphone users especially, they'll be basically using an OS that is designed more like Windows Phone. I want to go to an apple store when ios 7 comes out and be like, "Whoa, is this the new Windows Phone?!"

But in all seriousness, this won't look good for apple at all. When a company that has gone from leading the way of design for everyone else to knock off and claim they are the best, to a company that is slowly and slowly and subtly knocking off others' designs and still claim they are the best; that's when they officially on their way for a fall. Microsoft should REALLY promote the Windows Phone UI pretty hard in the coming months on TV so when the next iphone and ios update comes out, people will question them and think apple is actually stealing Microsoft's design. Not only that, but the critics I bet will TEAR into apple for doing so.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Do you really think a product with a giant share will be copying from one with a teeny share?

They may well change the look. ( I have been expecting that ).

It may indeed be a little less detailed and somewhat flat.

That doesn't mean they are copying.

The design will be about simplicity. That is what Apple are good at.

8 design lacks visual detail and relief to the point of blandness - lack of detail is not the same as simplicity.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Do you really think a product with a giant share will be copying from one with a teeny share?

Yes, because the new ios development head is the same person that designed the minimally modern designed apple hardware. And yes, because tim cook is apple's Steve Ballmer and doesn't really give a flying pack of crap about details of the product, versus the overall sales of the product. He isn't a tech man, not a details man. He is a position holder that won't get involved with ios or mac os development or design.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
If Johnny is doing it - then it will be about simplicity. Very different from 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If Johnny is doing it - then it will be about simplicity. Very different from 8.

ios design is ALREADY simplicity. The MAIN thing that has been known to have been a conflict with steve jobs and John Ives was job's persistence and demands to have the UI be the way it was, with a reel to reel tape player for the podcasts, a yellow legal pad for notes, and leather stitching in the calendar app on mac os. Ives doesn't like that obviously as it conflicts with his modernist design of hardware. Windows 8 seriously looks better on a mac book than mac os does.

It's known that Ives is wanting to change the "look and feel" of ios 7, maybe to like Windows Phone 7? Whatever it is, he has no challenges from steve jobs anymore....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
That makes no sense.

If he has been wanting to do it for years - then how can you claim he is copying from 8 which is very recent.

He has been wanting to do it for years - back when Mike (Mace ) was head of platform marketing they were talking about it at Apple.

Now is the best time for them to do it for a number of reasons, not least of which is that they have been selling the same couple of products for a long time.

If they make them look different - they can sell them again to the same people who will think it is brand new product. In reality it is the same thing, a few incremental improvements perhaps, and a lick of paint.

Johnny will of course not just do a slap up paint job for the sake of making it different. He is all about simplicity. That is not the same as removing detail and relief and making everything look bland. Simplicity is describing the article and what it is for. That makes it simple/obvious for the user.

It is difficult to do it right.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
That makes no sense.

If he has been wanting to do it for years - then how can you claim he is copying from 8 which is very recent.

He has been wanting to do it for years - back when Mike (Mace ) was head of platform marketing they were talking about it .

Now is the best time for them to do it for a number of reasons, not least of which is that they have been selling the same couple of products for a long time.

If they make them look different - they can sell them again to the same people who will think it is brand new product. In reality it is the same thing, a few incremental improvements perhaps, and a lick of paint.

Ummm, because it's been kind of known through internal sources at apple that were made into internet published articles on sites such as the verge that claim that the late steve jobs and John Ives clashed on ios and mac os design and that other UI designers at apple cringed at things like the leather stitching and the faux skeuomorphic design steve jobs pushed and demanded.

steve jobs is dead if you haven't noticed, and John Ives just recently became head of ios design after being the top hardware designer at apple. There is no conflict between him and jobs anymore about design. What HE wants to see is what will result, instead of what steve jobs wants.

My guess however at ios 7's design will be more like Office 2013. It's based off the previous version's UI design, but flattened among other things.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

I can guarantee you it is nothing to do with copying from anybody.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

I can guarantee you it is nothing to do with copying from anybody.
You would know since you're an apple employee.... :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back