Any working (and free) AntiVirus for W8 CP?

jimbo45;70490 ?????? What a Load of the proverbial. Why on EARTH should a company like MS release a product which it KNOWS is instrumental to its continuing survival that isn't fit for purpose. MSE works just fine. And just pray just where do these 3rd party company AV software firms get their access to the W8 kernel from currently -- I'm sure MS isn't giving away the source code just yet. Most of the 3rd party AV stuff is actually based on W7 --which although similar IS NOT THE SAME AS W8. If it isn't then they are just being guilty of Hacking a proprietary product and use of their software should be considered ILLEGAL. Cheers jimbo[/QUOTE said:
Load of Proverbial? Well, I do my best. as you can see from electric's post - far from it. Not quite clear of the connection between the remainder of your proverbial and the quote of my post?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
I'm repeating this from another thread. I installed the 8 Preview on a VM and added the free Avast AV. Defender shut down automatically. I later installed Win 8 Preview on a partition and left Defender alone., Both AVs are working fine.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I just found on the MS website that if you install another AV, Defender will automatically turn itself off. As Jimbo points out, we're not sure if third-party AVs have access to the 8 kernel, and they might simply be Win 7 AVs. I would stick with Defender.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hi there

Update

MSE DID install originally -- that was when I (and I think a lot of others) were much more inexperienced with W8 than we are now.

MSE not only is NOT needed any more it won't even install after you've applied the latest Windows updates -- I haven't a clue what will happen IF you've ALREADY installed MSE and then try for the Windows Updates. Windows defender is meant to do it all seamlessly.

I've since re-installed W8 from scratch and this time haven't installed MSE.

As far as the AV program not having a GUI etc --why should it if it's working in real time etc.

You shouldn't need to run any scans etc and it should update its virus definitions any time it needs to when you are on the internet.

Windows defender is reasonably smart -- sometimes however it gives a bit of false information --I am using logitech squeezebox server now known as logitech media server which I use for audio streaming to my Squeezebox system and Logitech Internet Radio -- and Windows defender came up with a red symbol saying this is not a commonly downloaded program and might cause problems.

It did give me the choice of whether to install the program or "kill it". As it's from a trusted source I installed -- but it shows the AV system is functioning.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
makes sense why wouldn't Microsoft just built in mse. I mean come on it is there product and was free in the first place. see it as a good thing

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Prenium 64bit sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    me
    CPU
    AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz (OC) @ 3.6GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2
    Memory
    4096MB RAM DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    Sound Card
    (VIA High Definition Audio)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22 HD LED TV Polaroid and 17 LED Monitor Dual screen
    Screen Resolution
    Led tv(main) 1920x1080 60Hz /Monitor 1280x1024 60Hz
    Hard Drives
    500Gb western digital
    PSU
    CORSAIR CX600 600w
    Case
    AZZA gaming case with red led fans
    Cooling
    4fans and cool master hyper TX3 cpu cooler
    Keyboard
    Microsoft USB Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 (IntelliType Pro)
    Mouse
    G400 Logitech
    Internet Speed
    5.5mb
    Browser
    IE 10/Firefox
    Antivirus
    Comodo Internet Secuirty
Does anybody remember MSAV? Microsoft Anti-Virus was installed with early versions of Windows. It scanned your files (but could not run the background) and if a file had suddenly gotten larger without you doing anything, it deleted the file and replaced it with the original file. The bad guys figured out how to have the virus tell MSAV that the size of the file hadn't changed, and MS then gave up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Back