Jimbo. I mean, typo error, I am typing on iPad and it changed the I to a u

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
LOL, Robin! That may be fitting when looking at his avatar pic. I'm assuming it's a pic of him. He looks to be a rather fit and large man. Although I don't think he's a violent person, I wouldn't want to mess with him in a pub. :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Another one...

February 28, Softpedia – (International) Fake Adobe Flash Player Web sites distribute Ransomlock Ransomware. Experts discovered two vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player that prompts users to pay a fine in order to have their computer screens unlocked. Users are guided through a malicious domain to download one of two corrupted files that when installed, infect the computer with malicious elements. Source: Fake Adobe Flash Player Websites Distribute Ransomlock Ransomware - Softpedia

Thanks for all the reports, Art. :thumb: I know you do quite a bit of research on software intrusion at work.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
What on EARTH are you doing (or the clients) to get infected.

I've been using Windows since Windows/286 (anybody remember that far back) and in my whole time I have NEVER had a computer virus -- and in my "shadier past" I have been known to have used some torrent sites.
I think people can get caught out on any website these days, even "reputable" ones.

NBC website hacked and distributes malware – here’s what happened | Naked Security

(Admittedly that's a post on an AV Developer's site ;) but I've no reason to doubt it.)

With the advent of a decent built in protection in Windows 8 (FOR HOME COMPUTERS -- Corporates are another issue entirely)
I think this is a big step forward in W8; I don't think Microsoft get enough credit for it. It helps everybody because, for instance, fewer computers are in botnets sending out dodgy emails.

Personally I use Firefox with NoScript for browsing. It's a bit of a pain to enable scripting on each website you want to see, but it's a good way to catch new exploits that the AV doesn't pick up. I've an idea that latest versions of Firefox have a similar capability built-in.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
Someone bought up cnet, I had been using cnet for years to get software and I had installed Windows 7 on a PC a few months before Windows 8 came out and I used cnet to install the ie spell checker tool. Upon download it installed some damn helper tool that tried to get me to install all these crappy extensions for IE 9. I won't even touch cnet now.

I also don't think Microsoft gets enough credit for what they have done with the security features of Windows, there has been some nice leap and bounds since Vista. I do love though when me and the wife are walking around best buy and we walk by the apple table and there computer guy ask if we are interested, I will usually ask him why I should make the switch and when he crosses the topic of security features it becomes a fun conversation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Sager NP2740
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4702HQ 2.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    W740SU
    Memory
    8 GB 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Iris Pro 5200
    Sound Card
    High Defenition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    IPS Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250 GB mSATA
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps cable, NETGEAR Night Hawk AC1900
    Browser
    Firefox 38.0.5
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender & Malwarebytes Pro
LOL, Robin! That may be fitting when looking at his avatar pic. I'm assuming it's a pic of him. He looks to be a rather fit and large man. Although I don't think he's a violent person, I wouldn't want to mess with him in a pub. :p

Hi there
I travel on the Eurostar train a lot (Between Brussels / Paris and London) usually in Business Class -- and if I get an annoying "Seat mate" starting to speak loudly in those "Consultant-ese suited" business voices on their mobile phone -- I "Smile" at them baring my teeth looking as if I'm going to Rape them --especially if (as it usually is) a Male person on the phone. -- Amazing how quickly they say excuse me and move to continue their conversation in the corridor or say Sorry and put the phone away --so I then can nod off to sleep again.

(Although this tactic does very seldomly have a drawback -- I did get a "proposition" once from a French guy to meet in a very well known central London Gay pub after the trip -- so beware !!! if you take this kind of action).

I rarely get involved in "Fisticuffs" -- if things get that far we've already failed.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
What on EARTH are you doing (or the clients) to get infected.

I've been using Windows since Windows/286 (anybody remember that far back) and in my whole time I have NEVER had a computer virus -- and in my "shadier past" I have been known to have used some torrent sites.
I think people can get caught out on any website these days, even "reputable" ones.

NBC website hacked and distributes malware – here’s what happened | Naked Security

(Admittedly that's a post on an AV Developer's site ;) but I've no reason to doubt it.)

With the advent of a decent built in protection in Windows 8 (FOR HOME COMPUTERS -- Corporates are another issue entirely)
I think this is a big step forward in W8; I don't think Microsoft get enough credit for it. It helps everybody because, for instance, fewer computers are in botnets sending out dodgy emails.

Personally I use Firefox with NoScript for browsing. It's a bit of a pain to enable scripting on each website you want to see, but it's a good way to catch new exploits that the AV doesn't pick up. I've an idea that latest versions of Firefox have a similar capability built-in.

Hi there
This can happen - but Ms I'm sure is on the case and the malware should be picked up by the security system.
The great advantage in having it in the kernel is that even if the browser misses malware the kernel *should* catch it.

No security system is ever 100% foolproof which is why you should take regular backups and still run POST event (or daily batch security scans).

If you find anything just restore to the previous uninfected version -- simple --- I don't trust ANY cleansing software to be as good as restoring an uninfected system -- If the OS itself is broken why on earth would you trust running a program on it to fix it.

If a part of your car is broken -- you usually get the garage replace the part (or if you are a cheapskate like me try and get another good part from a scrap dealer or breakers yard).

It really does take minutes these days to backup / restore OS images - especially if you've installed on SSD's -- and ALWAYS have your OS on a different drive or partition to your data etc.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Was looking for some advice and found some good ones here..will get Malwarebytes to go along with WD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Professional x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 7650
    Screen Resolution
    1600*1900
    Hard Drives
    640gb
    Internet Speed
    100/10
    Browser
    Chrome Beta (Daily)
    Antivirus
    WD & Malwarebytes
I've just seen a few new "ransomware" forms of malware that AV hasn't been able to detect and they are pretty bad. I will not download anything from CNET until they take steps to eliminate the crapware from their downloads. even "legitimate" websites are hosting malware, many times without their knowledge or consent. Browser "helpers", search engine redirectors, etc... are driving me crazy right now...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports
I Recommend Malware-Bytes PRO And Avast! Free Antivirus

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 (Always upgrading to Better)
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Compaq Presario CQ57 301-SA
    CPU
    AMD E-300
    Motherboard
    Hewlett-Packard 3577 (Socket F1)
    Memory
    2,00GB DDR3 @ 532Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz) 384MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics (HP)
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor 1366x768
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    298GB Hitachi HTS543232A7A384 SATA Disk Device (SATA)
    Case
    Compaq Presario CQ57 Basic Case
    Cooling
    Compaq Presario CQ57 301SA Basic Cooling
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech Wirless (Red)
    Internet Speed
    2 Stars (Speedtest.net)
    Browser
    Mozilla Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast! Free Antivirus
I Recommend Malware-Bytes PRO And Avast! Free Antivirus

Hi there
With Windows 8 NONE of these do anything extra whatsoever -- why bother with this stuff.

Please tell me what Malwarebytes has found that the built in Windows defender hasn't. As for AVAST (free) totally a waste of time these days.

Windows 8 has implemented security TOTALLY DIFFERENTLY to previous OS'es. Most of the security concerns I read on this section are 100% perfectly valid for WINDOWS 7 and previous OS'es and yes install all this stuff if you like - but even for Windows 7 Ms's own MSE is probably just as good (or bad) as all the rest of them.

Windows 8 is a TOTALLY new animal when it comes to security -- using a lot of these products is like applying a 20th century solution to a 21st century problem. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

Unless you are defending Corporate networks ALL 3rd party A/V software for Windows 8 is a WASTE of money if paid for these days --save your money and put it towards buying an SSD -- a much more useful purchase.

Incidentally ignore also any old comparative reports of effectiveness of A/V software -- these reports are always OUT OF DATE by the time you read them -- a new threat could potentially appear AT ANY TIME so analysis of last months (or usually longer ago than that) is about as useful as last months HORSE RACING results when thinking about what horse to choose for the 14.00 Exeter meet (or wherever).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
I get email from them and they run great specials over the weekend so I thought I would pass it along

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
If anyone is interested. Today only newegg.com is offering avg antivirus for 7.99

Newegg.com - Shell Shocker Deal. Exclusive Jaw Dropping Savings on PC Components and Electronics.

Hi there
Did you actually read my post on the NEED for extra A/V stuff on W8.
Just SAVE the 8 bucks pounds/ roubles/Euros or whatever and put it toward something else. -- The fact that this stuff has come down a lot in price shows they just want to make some money on it before people realize it's totally REDUNDANT on W8 now.

Even on W7 the use of this stuff is questionable --MSE does the job fine -- but that's your choice. On W8 the security is BUILT IN to the OS -- this extra layer is TOTALLY REDUNDANT.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
About third party AV stuff on Win8:
Jimbo, you should make a signature and add that (resumed) in a line or two... because it's something that needs to be repeated too much. :)

Anyway, I agree about this point but it seems not everyone trusts Windows Defender on his own but there are some who do.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
I use the built-in Microsoft security until I find that it isn't doing the job... and that hasn't happened yet on Win8. On Win7, it has, though...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports
If anyone is interested. Today only newegg.com is offering avg antivirus for 7.99

Newegg.com - Shell Shocker Deal. Exclusive Jaw Dropping Savings on PC Components and Electronics.

Hi there
Just SAVE the 8 bucks pounds/ roubles/Euros or whatever and put it toward something else. -- The fact that this stuff has come down a lot in price shows they just want to make some money on it before people realize it's totally REDUNDANT on W8 now.

Even on W7 the use of this stuff is questionable --MSE does the job fine -- but that's your choice. On W8 the security is BUILT IN to the OS -- this extra layer is TOTALLY REDUNDANT.

Cheers
jimbo
Yea I did and I only use WD for 8 but that was for anyone else here that uses Avg because I remember seeing posts of those that do and 7.99 is a good price

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo
Yea I did and I only use WD for 8 but that was for anyone else here that uses Avg because I remember seeing posts of those that do and 7.99 is a good price

That's a good point.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard