Another reason Microsoft should give windows 8 away for free...

If you are not familiar with pe, it is a mini version of windows - typically in a bootable .wim format.

When you boot it - it loads into ram and runs entirely from a virtual drive in memory.

If you look at this screenie of the one I built recently - you can tell it is pe because it is running in System account - and you can see the reference to minint

2012-06-08_155656.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
If you are not familiar with pe, it is a mini version of windows

Thanks for the clarification. Is it a hack? I see it has a start button?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Viliv S10 3G
    CPU
    Atom Z530 (1.6GHz)
    Memory
    1GB DDR2 SDRAM (533MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 500
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366/768
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk 64GB SSD
    Internet Speed
    6.41/5.47 MBPS
    Other Info
    WiFi 802.11 b/g
    Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Internal 3G (Huawei EM770W:
    HSPA/UMTS 850/900/1900/2100MHz,
    HSUPA: 5.76Mbps (UL) / HSDPA: 7.2Mbps (DL))
It's not a hack, it is an o/s

I built it from components off the install dvd and my own HD.

The start button is from a great 3rd party app Classic Shell.

Classic Shell works beautifully in regular windows 8 too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
It's not a hack, it is an o/s

I built it from components off the install dvd and my own HD.

The start button is from a great 3rd party app Classic Shell.

Classic Shell works beautifully in regular windows 8 too.

It looks awesome. Thanks for sharing. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Viliv S10 3G
    CPU
    Atom Z530 (1.6GHz)
    Memory
    1GB DDR2 SDRAM (533MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 500
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366/768
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk 64GB SSD
    Internet Speed
    6.41/5.47 MBPS
    Other Info
    WiFi 802.11 b/g
    Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Internal 3G (Huawei EM770W:
    HSPA/UMTS 850/900/1900/2100MHz,
    HSUPA: 5.76Mbps (UL) / HSDPA: 7.2Mbps (DL))
Jimbo,

You're talking about a limitation of the basic Microsoft financial app. There will be other apps with greater ability in them as time goes on. I'm also not in agreement with you about metro not having any business use. Lots of people use iPads and iPhones for business purposes, and this is really no different.

Hi there
the business uses of Iphones / Ipads are usually in surfing the net, Email, reading documents and taking notes. Possibly also displaying presentations. This is a fairly limited subset of "daily Business tasks"

Most of the documents in any case that the Ipad users are reading have probably been prepared with a traditional computer anyway.

Creating complex spread sheets with loads of complex macros and a lot of "What If" scenarios is I'd say almost humanely IMPOSSIBLE to do on a smart phone and although it COULD be done - with extreme difficulty - on an Ipad -- it would probably take me a WEEK to do instead of say a couple of hours !!.

What about document translation etc -- here you need to view the original and have your new one SIDE BY SIDE with another set of windows open at least for a Dictionary / theosaurus etc. On a smart phone -- No way Jose.

What about architectural design - or trying to use a complex CAD package --- again No way Jose.

Complex power point presentations --sometimes with Multi-Media incorporated --- again not a chance.

I suspect that some of the "business" users are just reading email / surfing the net, texting or using facebook or being the usual TWATS on TWITTER.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Jimbo,

You're talking about a limitation of the basic Microsoft financial app. There will be other apps with greater ability in them as time goes on. I'm also not in agreement with you about metro not having any business use. Lots of people use iPads and iPhones for business purposes, and this is really no different.

Hi there
the business uses of Iphones / Ipads are usually in surfing the net, Email, reading documents and taking notes. Possibly also displaying presentations. This is a fairly limited subset of "daily Business tasks"

Most of the documents in any case that the Ipad users are reading have probably been prepared with a traditional computer anyway.

Creating complex spread sheets with loads of complex macros and a lot of "What If" scenarios is I'd say almost humanely IMPOSSIBLE to do on a smart phone and although it COULD be done - with extreme difficulty - on an Ipad -- it would probably take me a WEEK to do instead of say a couple of hours !!.

What about document translation etc -- here you need to view the original and have your new one SIDE BY SIDE with another set of windows open at least for a Dictionary / theosaurus etc. On a smart phone -- No way Jose.

What about architectural design - or trying to use a complex CAD package --- again No way Jose.

Complex power point presentations --sometimes with Multi-Media incorporated --- again not a chance.

I suspect that some of the "business" users are just reading email / surfing the net, texting or using facebook or being the usual TWATS on TWITTER.

Cheers
jimbo

Question, what are some of the things you would need to do to input these macros normally?

See, at the moment, the metro apps are gearing towards content consumption with the Desktop as content creation. The Desktop at one time was used for both and still can be, but it's been split in two interfaces. There's a long haul approach here. Guarantee you by the next Office version after 2013, it will probably be a WinRT app. The move will come further when more software developers choose to move to that design. As time moves on, Windows' design will change to accommodate that. Windows 8 is just the hybrid transition.

As for now though, the solution still remains: if you have no need for apps, who's making you use them? Don't use them, set file associations to Desktop apps and not metro apps. What you're left with is a Start Screen dedicated for Desktop apps that you may or may not use often that are there for quick convenience and you move back on to the Desktop. Not that hard of a solution..........but I guess not...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Wait, so you're saying you want Windows 8 for free because some app, probably free, has adverting in it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Jimbo,

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

Question, what are some of the things you would need to do to input these macros normally?

See, at the moment, the metro apps are gearing towards content consumption with the Desktop as content creation. The Desktop at one time was used for both and still can be, but it's been split in two interfaces. There's a long haul approach here. Guarantee you by the next Office version after 2013, it will probably be a WinRT app. The move will come further when more software developers choose to move to that design. As time moves on, Windows' design will change to accommodate that. Windows 8 is just the hybrid transition.

As for now though, the solution still remains: if you have no need for apps, who's making you use them? Don't use them, set file associations to Desktop apps and not metro apps. What you're left with is a Start Screen dedicated for Desktop apps that you may or may not use often that are there for quick convenience and you move back on to the Desktop. Not that hard of a solution..........but I guess not...

Hi there
example one for example

Stock market quotes -- you have a stock say MSFT -- and you want the option chain

well the format from the CBOE ( CBOE | Chicago Board Options Exchange ) is totally different from say the same data in yahoo Yahoo! Finance - Business Finance, Stock Market, Quotes, News

or even now I think Google finance can do options chains for a stock --haven't tested it yet however.

So the macros you need to write depends entirely where you are getting your data from because what you get back from the web site is obviously different.

Even me as an Engineer can understand enough Visual Basic to understand that the data you get back from either site is different and hence the record structure must be different too. I

If I.T people can't understand this then obviously outages like the 6 DAY (and continuing saga) at Nat.West Bank etc where people can't get their money or pay their bills will become more common place.

Slightly O.T but don't people have "Roll Back" mechanisms if stuff like this doesn't work -- or is this again a point of trying to be too cheap and using Off shore facilities without adequate control. Standard users can understand "Backup" even for a single laptop so a Bank that's being paid a shedload of money must surely also understand you don't rush stuff into production "willy-nilly".
BTW here's my screen shots from YAHOO and the CBOE.

(Note I DO understand this stuff !!!).

cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• cboe.png
    cboe.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 114
  • yahoo.png
    yahoo.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

Hi there
example one for example

Stock market quotes -- you have a stock say MSFT -- and you want the option chain

well the format from the CBOE ( CBOE | Chicago Board Options Exchange ) is totally different from say the same data in yahoo Yahoo! Finance - Business Finance, Stock Market, Quotes, News

or even now I think Google finance can do options chains for a stock --haven't tested it yet however.

So the macros you need to write depends entirely where you are getting your data from because what you get back from the web site is obviously different.

Even me as an Engineer can understand enough Visual Basic to understand that the data you get back from either site is different and hence the record structure must be different too. I

If I.T people can't understand this then obviously outages like the 6 DAY (and continuing saga) at Nat.West Bank etc where people can't get their money or pay their bills will become more common place.

Slightly O.T but don't people have "Roll Back" mechanisms if stuff like this doesn't work -- or is this again a point of trying to be too cheap and using Off shore facilities without adequate control. Standard users can understand "Backup" even for a single laptop so a Bank that's being paid a shedload of money must surely also understand you don't rush stuff into production "willy-nilly".
BTW here's my screen shots from YAHOO and the CBOE.

(Note I DO understand this stuff !!!).

cheers
jimbo

Interesting. Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back