<

Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 boot from usb

  1. #1


    Posts : 3
    windows 8 consumer preview

    Windows 8 boot from usb


    hi
    i'm running currently on windows 8 consumer preview
    i want to select boot devices (usb) to boot at startup
    but there is no such option in settings

    this is what i did:

    settings
    general
    advance startup

    choose options: continue,troubleshoot, turn off pc

    i couldn't find select boot devices there.

    is there any way i can do this?!
    help!!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    BELGIUM
    Posts : 503
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64


    hi,

    I don't think you can boot from any USB drive.

    You can via the bios to install Windows 8, but that is not what you want.

    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 3
    windows 8 consumer preview


    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrys View Post
    hi,

    I don't think you can boot from any USB drive.

    You can via the bios to install Windows 8, but that is not what you want.

    Jeff
    Click image for larger version
    i don't have all these options on my laptop. all i have is continue, troubleshoot and turn off.
    i want the other option "use a device".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. #4


    Posts : 10
    Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows 8 Dual-Boot (Ubuntu, Fedora, Windows XP,Windows 7 Home Premium on VM)


    Quote Originally Posted by vardhan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrys View Post
    hi,

    I don't think you can boot from any USB drive.

    You can via the bios to install Windows 8, but that is not what you want.

    Jeff
    Click image for larger version
    i don't have all these options on my laptop. all i have is continue, troubleshoot and turn off.
    i want the other option "use a device".
    Shortly :
    Your current OS is Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Now you want to boot from USB device.

    To do this can use Use a Device but as I understand you dont have this option.
    To do it without this :
    1. Restart computer
    2. Enter BIOS (to enter this you need to press key , you will see which key you need to press to enter BIOS).
    3. Find Boot options and Boot Order.
    4. Set Removable Device (or USB device or anyother like this) for first device. For this you can use +/- or what that say.
    5. Attach that device.
    6. Save & Reset.

    Baltic Trinty.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 3
    windows 8 consumer preview


    Quote Originally Posted by BalticTrinty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vardhan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrys View Post
    hi,

    I don't think you can boot from any USB drive.

    You can via the bios to install Windows 8, but that is not what you want.

    Jeff
    Click image for larger version
    i don't have all these options on my laptop. all i have is continue, troubleshoot and turn off.
    i want the other option "use a device".
    Shortly :
    Your current OS is Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Now you want to boot from USB device.

    To do this can use Use a Device but as I understand you dont have this option.
    To do it without this :
    1. Restart computer
    2. Enter BIOS (to enter this you need to press key , you will see which key you need to press to enter BIOS).
    3. Find Boot options and Boot Order.
    4. Set Removable Device (or USB device or anyother like this) for first device. For this you can use +/- or what that say.
    5. Attach that device.
    6. Save & Reset.

    Baltic Trinty.
    thanks for the replyi
    tried that way by pressing all the keys (F2, F12, F1 and del)
    but my system is little too fast for my response.
    i even had my friends try to enter the bios but not possible.
    is there any other way to boot from usb like using command prompt or enabling it in advance startup settings??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Hafnarfjrur IS
    Posts : 4,379
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrys View Post
    hi,

    I don't think you can boot from any USB drive.

    You can via the bios to install Windows 8, but that is not what you want.

    Jeff

    Hi there

    YOU most CERTAINLY can boot from USB stick. In fact I can even boot from a micro SD card installed in a smartphone. !!

    Just go to the Windows to Go tutorial to set this up.

    Note that this Windows is a REAL RUNNING windows system -- not just an "Install disk". Your USB stick / ext disk is the "C" drive.

    You get access to all your local (and network) drives too.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    BELGIUM
    Posts : 503
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64


    Well Jimbo, my bad, I was unter the impression that Vardhan wanted to install and run Win on a USB stick/drive, which is impossible.

    I always install via a USB-drive/stick, do not have a DVD in my computer. I removed this long ago, have no use for it.

    So I misunderstood.

    Sorry


    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrys View Post
    install and run Win on a USB stick/drive, which is impossible.
    Windows To Go is a new feature for Windows 8 that allows this now and officially supported. But you're right, in previous Windows you couldn't do it (without hacks etc...)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Has anybody asked OP what he is trying to do in simple terms????
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 167
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by vardhan View Post
    tried that way by pressing all the keys (F2, F12, F1 and del)
    For entering the "boot device selection screen" on some PCs also F8 or F11 works.
    For entering BIOS in most cases "del" of F2 should work.

    Give us the name of your PC - perhaps we find the correct key in the internet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Windows 8 boot from usb

Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Dual Boot Linux preventing Windows boot
Hi I recently felt the urge to experiment with Linux and installed Ubuntu Mint and tried to set up dual booting. However I seem to have only suceeded in preventing Windows booting at all. I cannot get into the recovery drive to undo my wrong doing. How can I reset the windows boot manager...
General Support
Deleted Uefi boot option (Windows Boot Manager) by mistake
Hallo, After creating a UEFI bootable USB thumb drive with Rufus (using Windows 8.1 Enterprise ISO x64), for a Dell Optiplex 3010 (configured as UEFI only, no CSM, latest firmware version, Windows 8 installed), I didn't see a USB boot option, so I tried to add one manually. Unfortunately I...
Installation & Setup
BSOD at boot error 0x0000012a -cant boot into Windows 8.1
First post on this issue. Client computer that shows black screen with text at boot up. Cannot boot into Windows 8 (8.1?) This is what is on the black screen; Your PC needs to restat. Please hold down your power button. Error Code 0x0000012a Parameters: 0x0000000000000001
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Can't get into Windows Boot Manager to change boot order.
My Dell Inspiron 660 is 2 months old. It came with Windows 8 preinstalled. My problem: I am trying to change the boot order so I can boot from CD ROM as a first option. I have tried using the "F" keys on boot, but it just ignores me and goes on to boot up. I have also tried the "Advanced Options >...
General Support
Help! error 'windows boot manager, boot failed!
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, so I apologize if I'm not. But I have a HUGE problem. I have a Gateway laptop that's only about 5 months old. It has Windows 8 on it, and when I started it up this morning, I saw the Gateway logo, and then I kept getting an error message that...
Drivers & Hardware
Dual-Boot setup -> Single Boot: How do I fix Windows 8?
This happened about two days ago. By going in chronological order: I used to have a dual-boot setup, a Windows 7 and Windows 8 on two different IDE 80GB hard drives, named Drive A and Drive B, respectively. Both of these hard drives are quite old, and I'm worried that it may be near the end of...
Installation & Setup
Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!
Hey guys, I am having an issue when installing the consumer preview. So, I downloaded the W8 iso, off of Microsoft's site. I burned it to a DVD with 4.7 GB free of storage. I even bought a new set of DVDs. Anyways, I downloaded the iso, I downloaded the USB/DVD download tool, there I burned my iso...
Installation & Setup

Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook