There it is!
There it is!
So far, I have tried searching the registry for Dell Inc. and can only find that name in BIOS file settings or in program installation files (like for Dell recovery and backup). I didn't see anything with computer name in it. I also looked in the registry subkeys and the computer name is set to the current name in all the registry files. Here is a picture of the properties for the device
Not sure where else to look. Could it be a BIOS setting?
Yah it could be pulling the name from the BIOS. Yep, It's like when I plug in my iPhone it always says it's an iPhone, so maybe this system of yours has an identifier hard coded into the BIOS.
I did read post #9. It is possible that it is hard-coded but that doesn't explain the changes to the other laptops with the exact same specs or any other computers that I have ever worked on. I will get a picture of one of the other machines tomorrow as they are work laptops and not my personal ones so that you can see how they changed compared to this one.
They all run from the same server the affected machine is on? Ok, post em when ya can
Ok, so I was able to do a few other tests on another computer that is the same make and model as the one that I am having problems with. I have always been able to change the computer name with this other computer, but when I tried changing it today it wouldn't acknowledge any changes. It was behaving the same way as the Dell laptop that is pictured above.
1. Original configuration
2. Tried to change the name to Dell with no success
3. Disconnected from the domain and rejoined the WORKGROUP. I then added a new user called Admin and tried to change the computer name to TEST with no success
Again, this computer had always allowed me to change the name as is evident with the name in the devices and printers window. The name of this laptop is already what I want it to be, but it is behaving the EXACT same way as the other one that I want to change from Dell Inc. to NLC-LPLT. Everything I have done to this point is from and administrative account.
I think when you joined the DOMAIN, it assigned the name in such a way it cannot be set back to the way it was originally. I don't know why it would do this, but now we see, anything on that domain gets assigned a name according to what it is. What if it's an HP machine, does it come up HP, Inc?
You MAY have to connect those computers into a network that is not at all related to what you're using.
Oh yah, I forgot to ask - Are you using asn MS account for these and if so, is it the SAME MS Account? It may be your MS account populating those systems with the names from the first computer you had installed Windows 8 on. Go INto PC settings and check to see if you have "Sync Your Settings" turned on. Try unsyncing the puters.
I don't think the domain is the issue here because I can change the names on the other computers in the office just fine. They are running Windows 7 Pro Service Pack 1. Plus, it has been like this before I even joined it to the domain. I am using a local account for all these machines. In the Dell forum, I had one responder say he had the same thing happen when he tried to change his computer name. He seems to think it is a Windows 8 issue. I have posted in the Microsoft forum and will see what they say.
Ok, yah, I've never had any issues with computer names in Windows 7 all the way down to 2000. I'm not having any now, but I've never changed the name after I set it.
I set the name during the original Windows 8 Install, where it asked me. I've never tried to change it. Perhaps, there is an issue in 8 which will accept a change but not propagate it through the network. That's kidn of what your "Devices" panel is, because it shows all network-connected devices and names.
How about this - Can the "Device" be disconnected from within "Devices and Printers"? I would do that for all instances on the network where it shows up as "Dell-Pc"
Hold On I found something., Ok check this out:
When I right-kliked on MY computer, it shows this:
Notice where it says "To Be Filled IN by OEM"? THAT is what is happening, it's reading it from the computer. So that name will supercede what you set.
I never had issues with Windows 7. Really didn't have issues with Windows 8 until recently. I did enter the name I wanted for the computer when I installed Windows 8 again, but the devices has always listed this computer with the Dell Inc. name in the devices. Here is a picture of another computer that is set with the proper name in both locations.
This seems to be the same as the computer that is giving me problems with one exception, the name at the top next to the icon.
As for post #18, I was able to get the other computer to change names successfully in the system properties and the devices by going to devices and printers and hitting F5 to refresh the screen. I will try the same thing on the other computer once I can get my hands on it.