Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

GWX Icon Disappeared

  1. #1

    GWX Icon Disappeared


    I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit and the GWX icon was in Taskbar Notification area, but disappeared recently. Has anyone else experienced this and or know what is going on? Even a computer restart did not restore the "Get Windows 10" icon... Thoughts appreciated

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 9
    Windows 8.1 64-bit


    I was doing a system restore because my printer driver caused some issues on my computer. When it was finished, the GWX icon disappeared too.

    I don't know if system restore has to do anything with this because I did a couple system restores in the past and the GWX icon was still in the taskbar tray.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet1983 View Post
    I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit and the GWX icon was in Taskbar Notification area, but disappeared recently. Has anyone else experienced this and or know what is going on? Even a computer restart did not restore the "Get Windows 10" icon... Thoughts appreciated
    Mine disappeared this morning, I have no idea why, it does still show reserved in windows update.

    I'm not too worried about it, there's quite a bit happening on their servers right now.

    You can download W10 with the media creation tool,

    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    And do the upgrade yourself if you don't feel like waiting.

    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet1983 View Post
    I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit and the GWX icon was in Taskbar Notification area, but disappeared recently. Has anyone else experienced this and or know what is going on? Even a computer restart did not restore the "Get Windows 10" icon... Thoughts appreciated
    Mine disappeared this morning, I have no idea why, it does still show reserved in windows update.

    I'm not too worried about it, there's quite a bit happening on their servers right now.

    You can download W10 with the media creation tool,

    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    And do the upgrade yourself if you don't feel like waiting.

    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums
    Re: the bolded text .. mine also vanished a day or so ago.

    I am a little peeved that my 95 year-old father, who lives in the UK, has already received the update to Win 10.

    His laptop was running 8.1 and now Win 10. He had no problems, and all seemed to go smoothly.

    I spend hours on Skype with him, several times a week, trying to explain how to do simple things like creating a folder, or attaching a file to an email.

    And here he is now, with an upgraded OS, with me stuck on Win 8.1.

    I reserved the Win8 update, but so far no sign of it being downloaded. I am wondering if US & European countries get it first, with my home country, South Africa, getting it much later?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by derekimo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet1983 View Post
    I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit and the GWX icon was in Taskbar Notification area, but disappeared recently. Has anyone else experienced this and or know what is going on? Even a computer restart did not restore the "Get Windows 10" icon... Thoughts appreciated
    Mine disappeared this morning, I have no idea why, it does still show reserved in windows update.

    I'm not too worried about it, there's quite a bit happening on their servers right now.

    You can download W10 with the media creation tool,

    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    And do the upgrade yourself if you don't feel like waiting.

    Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums
    If I use the Media Creation Tool for W10, where/how do I get the Product Key? Also, which W10 Version should I select?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet1983 View Post
    If I use the Media Creation Tool for W10, where/how do I get the Product Key? Also, which W10 Version should I select?
    You don't get a new product key -- it reuses the existing one for the upgrade.

    If you use the Media Creation tool to do an upgrade, it's supposed to automatically figure out the right version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Mine just showed up again, they must be catching up on some things...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2015-07-30_22h28_04.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

GWX Icon Disappeared
Related Threads
I Used Foobar2000 v 1.3.8 I Think I Like It But I Dont Like Icon. How Can I Change ?
Strange question but i need it to try it out... How to replace Windows 8 Ethernet icon to the Wireless icon without using Wireless. In other words, im using a ethernet but i want the wireless icon to show up 63454
Please can anybody help? For no apparent reason hard drive icon has been changed/disappeared. I have tried to change/restore the icon/in the icon properties to no avail.Please see attachment Thanks
Somehow, the Folders icon disappeared from my Start screen, without which Windows 8.1 is almost unusable. Now I can't locate any folders and can't see anywhere else to access them. Terrible design!
This is not a major problem but I would like to resolve it if I can. The Ebay icon on my desktop keeps randomly changing to a dark green globe of the world icon. Why has it started doing this and how can I stop it. I would also like to know where icons (.ico) files are stored in Windows 8....
I have created a shortcut icon which takes me directly to my Online Banking Login page. I would like to place this icon (an image of a padlock taken from windows icon cache) on the taskbar. My problem is, when I drag the icon to the taskbar a popup asks me if I want to 'Pin to Internet...
Hello, I really try to find a way to get the following issue on MS developers radar. If there is any reliable way to contact them I would be very thankful for a short note. I tried it in the Resources and Tools for IT Professionals | TechNet forum but I got only one response and no one from...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook