Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


KB2976978... again, and again !

  1. #31



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn View Post
    Thanks for replying.

    What happens to the hidden updates when I upgrade to Windows 10, will they disappear?
    I meant how Windows update will work in Windows 10, we will not be able to hide, they will be "forced" on the user of Home version(or OEM if you will) version) and Pro will be able only to temporarily defer, Enterprise can defer indefinitely.
    This is no big deal for me(only for me) as I have never had problems with updates, like Mooly does, but thee updates will be much better tested before they are released in 10.

    If the hidden ones you have are not drivers and you can install without any negative effects, I would recommend to go ahead and install. But if you had to hide them because they caused problems, leave them hidden.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #32


    Posts : 562
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86


    What brings doubt to me over all this is the inconsistent behaviour of it all. If the update was required and was put on Windows Update on a given date, then why does it seemingly vanish from WU and then suddenly put in a new appearance a day or two later ?

    The real answer has to be that we just don't know for sure. Another case in point is KB3035583, the 'GWX or Get Windows 10' update that puts the W10 icon on the system tray. I removed the icon via Shawns added registry key (works great) and yet KB3035583 (which is already installed) is now being offered again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #33


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    If you look at the KB articles it shows that KB2976978 was revised on 7/7 and is now Rev 11.
    KB305035583 was revised on 7/9 and is Rev 4.

    If you look at the files involved they have new dates so were revised since the last time they were installed.

    After looking at them I went ahead and installed them.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #34



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    You could have just left the icon(it's not hurting anything)and either not reserve or if you reserved just cancel.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #35


    Posts : 562
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    If you look at the KB articles it shows that KB2976978 was revised on 7/7 and is now Rev 11.
    KB305035583 was revised on 7/9 and is Rev 4.

    If you look at the files involved they have new dates so were revised since the last time they were installed.

    After looking at them I went ahead and installed them.

    Jim
    Thanks Jim, that's useful to know. I'll consider installing them again perhaps, although what set me off on all this was it installing and then 15 minutes later appearing again as a 25kb update.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    You could have just left the icon(it's not hurting anything)and either not reserve or if you reserved just cancel.
    I knoooow I suppose I just wanted to exert my authority over it and make it go away.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #36



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    Na ya, that's how I learn things to(of course a system image 1st). There is one in Ten Forums trying to rip Cortana out, and just use the Rundll32 version of search(like Win7), just to see if he can do it and "exert my his authority over it and make it go away."
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #37


    Posts : 562
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    (of course a system image 1st)
    Absolutely. I'm never more than 24 hours from a backup point, incremental (or full if its something important and I know I'll need it).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #38


    Posts : 562
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86


    OK, bit the bullet and tried again. Both installed OK and as yet, no further prompts to install again. You see that's what is weird, a few days ago it kept reappearing after initially installing (just as I have done now), yet today it does not. If the update were identical to the one that started me off on this thread, then surely it would be behaving the same, and yet so far its not.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #39



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
    OK, bit the bullet and tried again. Both installed OK and as yet, no further prompts to install again. You see that's what is weird, a few days ago it kept reappearing after initially installing (just as I have done now), yet today it does not. If the update were identical to the one that started me off on this thread, then surely it would be behaving the same, and yet so far its not.
    I would guess tomorrow(Patch Tuesday), there will be another one, because of the changes to the system.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #40


    Posts : 562
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86


    We shall see !

    The way my update checks work it will be Wednesday am before I see them, its just to distressing to end the day on potential problems by forcing an update check tomorrow evening
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
KB2976978... again, and again !
Related Threads
Do I really need KB2976978 and KB3068708 in Windows Updates & Activation
From what I've read I don't really need these two, unless someone can explain why I do.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook