Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Ignore and shut off Windows 8.1 updates...

  1. #11


    Posts : 17
    Windows 8.1

    Ignore and shut off Windows 8.1 updates...


    Your PC will not crash, or slow, or act weird...it will remain as fast and track tasks only as fast as the desingers of 8.1 intended.......It's always helpful to have anti-virus...but look and see that 8.1 comes with REAL-TIME anti-virus...look in your 'control panel' far right side....there it is...and it works..........

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 17
    Windows 8.1

    Thanks..it's all an experience to learn...


    What will OS 10 have better for all? ...Ease of use, ease of self correction (some control) would be interactive, as was XP for me and other...but 8.1 seems redundant...so simple it's too stupid...at least for me...Most of us aren't stupid and learning up in 8.1 has been cancelled....so only numb can operate...but it is so numb that even numb dumb get lost!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    If you turn off Windows update you'll not get the updates for the built in anti-virus so it will cease being useful.

    You will not get security updates for other Windows components either of course.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    St. Augustine
    Posts : 388
    windows 8.1 64, LT -Windows 10 Home 64


    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglesailor View Post
    Ignore and shut off Windows 8.1 updates
    I think that is absolutely terrible advice.

    From a security standpoint alone updates are essential and many updates address performance issues and/or bugs.

    I recommend setting updates on Notify When Updates Are Available then let the user decide when and what updates to install.

    I would not recommend having Updates set on Auto Install
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Greece
    Posts : 341
    Win8.1 64bit, Windows 10 TP on VMWare Player


    Ignore and shut off Windows Updates if you want - it's your choice.

    As noted above you won't get updates for Windows Defender, so over time it will be less effective.

    And (referencing your other post on this same topic) do you know that Windows are no longer issuing Service Packs? It's all being done through Windows Update. You kept XP up to date with its SPs, but now you're choosing not to do this with 8.1. Your choice.

    Your other post mentioned you had to do a Reset or two. Does this mean you've also decided not to do any sort of backing up of your system either? Making System Images and regularly saving your files can help when things go wrong. But again, it's your choice how you use your computer.

    Maybe you will enjoy lots of trouble-free operation. I hope so. Or maybe you will be back here looking for advice on a problem that occurred because you chose not to update something. Only time will tell.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    @Eaglesailor
    I just hope you don't do ANY financial transactions with your computer or keep any personal information stored on it. Not updating is just begging cyber criminals to steal your information and identity for nefarious uses. Updates usually include web certificate updates, fixes for SSL bugs(FREAK & HEARTBLEED to name a couple).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    @Eaglesailor
    I just hope you don't do ANY financial transactions with your computer or keep any personal information stored on it. Not updating is just begging cyber criminals to steal your information and identity for nefarious uses. Updates usually include web certificate updates, fixes for SSL bugs(FREAK & HEARTBLEED to name a couple).
    It not much of a risk if you remove your wifi card and fill your usb and ethernet ports with glue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Greece
    Posts : 341
    Win8.1 64bit, Windows 10 TP on VMWare Player


    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    @Eaglesailor
    I just hope you don't do ANY financial transactions with your computer or keep any personal information stored on it. Not updating is just begging cyber criminals to steal your information and identity for nefarious uses. Updates usually include web certificate updates, fixes for SSL bugs(FREAK & HEARTBLEED to name a couple).
    It not much of a risk if you remove your wifi card and fill your usb and ethernet ports with glue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19



    Trying to Sith things out
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by SaggyMaggyPoo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    @Eaglesailor
    I just hope you don't do ANY financial transactions with your computer or keep any personal information stored on it. Not updating is just begging cyber criminals to steal your information and identity for nefarious uses. Updates usually include web certificate updates, fixes for SSL bugs(FREAK & HEARTBLEED to name a couple).
    It not much of a risk if you remove your wifi card and fill your usb and ethernet ports with glue.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 17
    Windows 8.1

    Thank You for all your advise...people here responding....


    Back-up for photos I have always done...I am not a game player, I do not store vital info. Having to wipe the drive clean I can do without concirn.......Today, I only use my pc for news, casual browsing, car repair forums, GoogleEarth, weather, and streaming online radio...plus the local fire-police scanner stuff. However, I do monitor and interact with my bank, my car insurance...But that has nothing to do with my pc's security or performance.........
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Ignore and shut off Windows 8.1 updates...
Related Threads
Earlier today I made the mistake of accidentally turning off my computer while it was updating. I tried to restart it afterwards and it won't do anything. I can hear the computer running and the light is on but nothing will appear on the monitor and the keyboard is not lit up. It won't even show...
I set up windows to automatically install updates, and I don't want to change that. When I'm in a hurry to restart or shutdown my PC and I only see "Shut down installing updates" and "Restart installing updates", is there some way to do it bypassing the update? I've tried command line:...
Force SuperFetch to NOT ignore SSD. in Performance & Maintenance
Is there anyway to force SuperFetch in Windows 8.1 to not ignore SSD's? I like the way SuperFetch ran in Windows 7 on my SSD boot drive, it did not ignore the SSD and was more aggressive which made loading programs smoother if the program being loaded was already cached. Maybe through regedit...
It seems that Windows 8 will only install some updates after a restart. No surprises here. However, since the Windows 8 "user" shutdown is not a real shutdown, but a hibernation (hence it will not be followed by a restart, and will not install updates), Windows 8 forces us to an extra...
Stalling on Windows Updates and Driver Updates in Windows Updates & Activation
My updates and driver installs never finish because they always stop at a certain percentage and I have to eventually force shutdown the PC.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook