Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

New Windows Updates

  1. #11


    Posts : 562
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86


    After a couple of restarts I ran the disk clean + clean system files. Horrific as always. 35 mins to run and it reclaimed just a 100mb or so. These updates have eaten around 1gb of space but what I find strange (based on past experience) is that having run the disk clean, the space will over a few days will come back.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Canada
    Posts : 1,950
    windows 8.1 Update 1 Pro 64bit


    Got lucky, 15 updates (155 MB) downloaded and installed and rebooted within 9 minutes. No problems so far. Still have 2 optional remaining but will not install until I know what they are.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Nuccii View Post
    Got lucky, 15 updates (155 MB) downloaded and installed and rebooted within 9 minutes. No problems so far. Still have 2 optional remaining but will not install until I know what they are.
    same with me, went fast about same time frame, but had 30 updates, more related to office 2013
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Finished after 2 hours.

    They broke Silverlight & had to reinstall it.

    Will make a Macrium image now.

    Man !! What's your download speeds ? Feel for you, but it's over and done, you made it !
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 562
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86


    Quote Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
    After a couple of restarts I ran the disk clean + clean system files. Horrific as always. 35 mins to run and it reclaimed just a 100mb or so. These updates have eaten around 1gb of space but what I find strange (based on past experience) is that having run the disk clean, the space will over a few days will come back.
    And as if by magic, today shows nearly the full 1gb space taken by these updates has returned. I have never figured out whether this is some peculiarity of the way Windows reports free space or whether the updates really do take so much space initially and Windows then claws it back slowly following a full disk clean.

    All seems well though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuccii View Post
    Got lucky, 15 updates (155 MB) downloaded and installed and rebooted within 9 minutes. No problems so far. Still have 2 optional remaining but will not install until I know what they are.
    same with me, went fast about same time frame, but had 30 updates, more related to office 2013
    Now this prompts the question ... I do not use MS Office at all (I use Libre Office), so could I ignore those Office 2013-related updates?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    N.Y.
    Posts : 2,214
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Atomcrusher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuccii View Post
    Got lucky, 15 updates (155 MB) downloaded and installed and rebooted within 9 minutes. No problems so far. Still have 2 optional remaining but will not install until I know what they are.
    same with me, went fast about same time frame, but had 30 updates, more related to office 2013
    Now this prompts the question ... I do not use MS Office at all (I use Libre Office), so could I ignore those Office 2013-related updates?
    I would think so as i see it has nothing to do with Microsoft, may want asked others too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by Atomcrusher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jds63 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuccii View Post
    Got lucky, 15 updates (155 MB) downloaded and installed and rebooted within 9 minutes. No problems so far. Still have 2 optional remaining but will not install until I know what they are.
    same with me, went fast about same time frame, but had 30 updates, more related to office 2013
    Now this prompts the question ... I do not use MS Office at all (I use Libre Office), so could I ignore those Office 2013-related updates?
    If you don't have MS Office installed I don't think they would be offered at all. My other computer does not have MS Office and there's never updates for it. I set my WU like this:
    Click image for larger version

    So I decide what and when is installed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
New Windows Updates
Related Threads
Solved Windows 8 updates in Windows Updates & Activation
I operate Windows 8 and recently I keep getting the message 'failure configering windows updates reverting changes. I then get the same message again and then after about 5 minutes I can get on. Everyting ok for about 2 days then same again. Has anybody any ideas? mikeb
Why am I not getting any Windows updates? in Windows Updates & Activation
Hi there, I bought a 2nd hand (mint) Surface Pro 1 in on May 15th. The guy didn't use it much because he got an iPad instead, so I got a good deal on it. Anyways, after formatting a few times and getting the hand of this new OS, I updated it to Windows 8.1 on Saturday May 17th. Since then , I...
Quickly sift updates without Check For Updates? in Windows Updates & Activation
Is there a good way to sift through updates without going the "check for updates" route? I'm hoping for a method to find updates that actually effect system performance or robustness, rather than security updates. I mean, other than reading the descriptions manually. It would be nice if there...
Windows 8 Updates in Windows Updates & Activation
Sorry if this is the wrong section before i even ask I have downloaded over 70 Windows 8 updates from the Windows catalogue as i am wanting to do a clean install, the thing is, when downloaded from Windows update running the OS it installs in order. How do i install the manual updates in order...
Solved Run AS and windows updates in Windows Updates & Activation
background: domain user with NO admin permissions, windows updates done locally (not via wsus) using accoun with local admin priviledges. I have a requirement to run windows updates using the run as command. i have found out you can run as other applications, but not those in control panel. i...
Solved Windows Updates in Windows Updates & Activation
I've received 2 updates in the last two days for Defender. I have set updates to "notify me and I will install". However, I didn't receive notification for either update. Any ideas? ...
Stalling on Windows Updates and Driver Updates in Windows Updates & Activation
My updates and driver installs never finish because they always stop at a certain percentage and I have to eventually force shutdown the PC.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook