Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Win 8.1 - Update 2 (One download to update 2 x machines?

  1. #1

    Win 8.1 - Update 2 (One download to update 2 x machines?


    It's rumoured that Win 8.1 - Update 2, should be available sometime in August ...

    A question ...

    At home we have a Win 8.1 laptop (ASUS X54C), plus a Win 8.1 Desktop PC

    Both machines currently run 8.1 64-bit Pro, with their own Microsoft key (... they are both legitimate / legal & registered OS's)

    Here in South Africa, data is expensive, and slow .. (or at least it is in the small town I live in - my Max ADSL speed available is up to 4 Mbps). Our ADSL package from our monopolistic, Government-controlled, service provider is a capped service, and downloading the Windows 8.1. update 2, will put a serious dent in our monthly data allowance

    So, my question this:
    Is there a way I can download the upcoming update once only, say to a disc or USB, and then use it to update 2 different devices (i.e. the laptop, and the Desktop PC)?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Trnava
    Posts : 683
    Win 8.1.1 Pro x64


    Well Update 1 can be downloaded as a standalone update, so probably yes, but we will see.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by TairikuOkami View Post
    Well Update 1 can be downloaded as a standalone update, so probably yes, but we will see.
    Thank you for your input ...
    Anyone else that can confirm?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    You might be interested in this: Windows Updates Downloader (WUD) Program Files
    And if you have some type of download manager that can open multiple ports to speed up the download time such as: Free Download Manager | Download
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    You might be interested in this: Windows Updates Downloader (WUD) Program Files
    And if you have some type of download manager that can open multiple ports to speed up the download time such as: Free Download Manager | Download
    Thanks for your input. I do use Free Download Manager regularly. But it's not so much the speed of downloading that concerns me. It's the fact that I would need to download the coming Win8.1, update 1, twice - i.e. one download for each of the two devices (Desktop PC, and Laptop). This seriously depletes the monthly data cap I have on my ADSL account. South Africa is behind world data-norms when it comes to both connection speeds, and data aloowances
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    The separately downloadable update (KBxxxxx) can used on multiple machines. If it's unusually large, I just download it at work and bring it home to install..

    If you need it pop around to my place.. just bring beer.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    The separately downloadable update (KBxxxxx) can used on multiple machines. If it's unusually large, I just download it at work and bring it home to install..

    If you need it pop around to my place.. just bring beer.
    Aaah ... I didn't even need to look at your profile to guess you are also from South Africa

    I also used to download large files at work, but I am retired now, and only have the Telkom 4Mbps (capped) connection that I can afford without a monthly salary coming in
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Thanks to eight forums.com for accepting me as a newbie.
    my son P has gifted me a HP Pavillion but with a windows 8.1
    but it is frustrating to learn about its setup n operations.
    windows 8.1 will be downfall for Microsoft.
    microsoft must make windows 8.1 more simpler n easy to understans
    so that teenage children can easily understand n recommend others to buy.
    i am a retiree from Australia.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Quote Originally Posted by jpsoni View Post
    Thanks to eight forums.com for accepting me as a newbie.
    my son P has gifted me a HP Pavillion but with a windows 8.1
    but it is frustrating to learn about its setup n operations.
    windows 8.1 will be downfall for Microsoft.
    microsoft must make windows 8.1 more simpler n easy to understans
    so that teenage children can easily understand n recommend others to buy.
    i am a retiree from Australia.
    @jpsoni ...
    Don't give up on Win8.1 just yet ... I am in my mid-60s and have mastered it pretty well, after using Win XP for years. To encourage you further, my Dad bought a new HP Laptop last year, and runs 8.1 on it ....

    He is 93 years old! He lives in UK, but I am on Skype with him from my home in South Africa a few times a week, and he is doing great with Win 8.1

    Thanks to Skype I am able to help him with the occasional problem he has ... for example, he was thrilled when I taught him about the "CTRL+" keyboard short-cut, which helps his 93 year-old eyes to see enlarged fonts on the screen
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Atomcrusher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    You might be interested in this: Windows Updates Downloader (WUD) Program Files
    And if you have some type of download manager that can open multiple ports to speed up the download time such as: Free Download Manager | Download
    Thanks for your input. I do use Free Download Manager regularly. But it's not so much the speed of downloading that concerns me. It's the fact that I would need to download the coming Win8.1, update 1, twice - i.e. one download for each of the two devices (Desktop PC, and Laptop). This seriously depletes the monthly data cap I have on my ADSL account. South Africa is behind world data-norms when it comes to both connection speeds, and data aloowances
    This is exactly what you asked for. You download the updates once then install in first PC, copy the updates to a USB stick then use it to update the 2nd PC.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Win 8.1 - Update 2 (One download to update 2 x machines?
Related Threads
If you have, say, two laptops both running Windows 8.1, and it gets to the monthly Microsoft update Tuesday it seems crazy to have both machines independently downloading the same set of updates totalling around 300MB as was the case yesterday. Does anyone know if it is possible for one machine to...
Windows 8 Update Download always 0% in Installation & Setup
Dear All, I did a refresh on my laptop, HP PRO BOOK 440 G0. It was running on windows 8.1, refreshed to windows 8, but now its not updating. :( Can someone please help me. ? I did download the and run WIndowsupdatediagnostic tool, its showing all errors fixed but still the...
Windows 8.1 Update -- Iso Download in Installation & Setup
I noticed there are links to download the Windows 8.1 update, but those are for technet subscribers. Are there any public links yet? Reason I ask, I want to download/burn the ISO, so when I format my system, I have a disc to reinstall windows. Can this 8.1 update be installed fresh? Or should I...
Both of my Windows 8.0 computers (desktop & laptop) have Windows 8 installed. And the Microsoft Store shows that the 8.1 update is available to me on both computers. But they won't download because I believe my ISP is blocking this update. I keep getting the error 0x80240031 when attempting to...
Windows Update problems on two machines in Windows Updates & Activation
Currently I have Win8 Pro in a VM on my main PC, and even though it is a brand-new install without any other apps (I actually haven't installed any other software on it), I've had several updates fail to install. I've noticed a fair few people here with consistent update problems so I'm wondering...
Can't Download or Update Apps in Software and Apps
Hey so I just got a brand new Lenovo Yoga and I love the laptop/hybrid feel. I downloaded one game and all worked well and now I can't download any apps or update any either. They all just stick at "pending" Any ideas as to what could be the problem? It's awfully early to be having problems!
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook