Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums

How to find old product key

  1. #1


    Posts : 2
    windows 8

    How to find old product key


    I have Win8 Pro.After adding Windows Media Centre using Add Feature,my Win8 product key changed.I need the old key to reinstall win8.How can i get that?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    If you run the upgrade advisor setup thing from your desktop - the key will probably pop up.

    If you haven't still got it - just d/l the setup thing again from here :

    Download Upgrade Assistant
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 2
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    If you run the upgrade advisor setup thing from your desktop - the key will probably pop up.

    If you haven't still got it - just d/l the setup thing again from here :

    Download Upgrade Assistant
    I tried it,but it didnt show the product key.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Harrisonburg, Va.
    Posts : 10,488
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 11
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    If your computer came with Win 8 preinstalled you don't need the key. It is inserted during install from the BIOS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    uffbros is spot on. It's hard coded right into your BIOS, when you install the OS, it won't even ask you for the key, it will simply find it and use it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 165
    Windows 8


    This vbs-script reads the product key from it's original position
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
    but is changed when WMC key is installed:
    Code:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Key = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\"
    DigitalID = WshShell.RegRead(key & "DigitalProductId")
    
    ProductName = "Product Name: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductName") & vbNewLine
    ProductID = "Product ID: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductID") & vbNewLine
    ProductKey = "Installed Key: " & ConvertToKey(DigitalID)
    ProductID = ProductName & ProductID & ProductKey
    
    If vbYes = MsgBox(ProductId & vblf & vblf & "Save to a file?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Windows Key Information") then
       Save ProductID
    End if
    
    Function ConvertToKey(Key)
        Const KeyOffset = 52
        isWin8 = (Key(66) \ 6) And 1
        Key(66) = (Key(66) And &HF7) Or ((isWin8 And 2) * 4)
        i = 24
        Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
        Do
            Cur = 0
            X = 14
            Do
                Cur = Cur * 256
                Cur = Key(X + KeyOffset) + Cur
                Key(X + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24)
                Cur = Cur Mod 24
                X = X -1
            Loop While X >= 0
            i = i -1
            KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
            Last = Cur
        Loop While i >= 0
        If (isWin8 = 1) Then
            keypart1 = Mid(KeyOutput, 2, Last)
            insert = "N"
            KeyOutput = Replace(KeyOutput, keypart1, keypart1 & insert, 2, 1, 0)
            If Last = 0 Then KeyOutput = insert & KeyOutput
        End If
        a = Mid(KeyOutput, 1, 5)
        b = Mid(KeyOutput, 6, 5)
        c = Mid(KeyOutput, 11, 5)
        d = Mid(KeyOutput, 16, 5)
        e = Mid(KeyOutput, 21, 5)
        ConvertToKey = a & "-" & b & "-" & c & "-" & d & "-" & e
    End Function
    
    Function Save(Data)
        Const ForWRITING = 2
        Const asASCII = 0
        Dim fso, f, fName, ts
        fName = "Windows Key.txt"
        Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        fso.CreateTextFile fName
        Set f = fso.GetFile(fName)
        Set f = f.OpenAsTextStream(ForWRITING, asASCII)
        f.Writeline Data
        f.Close
    End Function
    This vbs-script reads the product key from a backup position
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DefaultProductKey\DigitalProductId
    when WMC key is installed:
    Code:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Key = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DefaultProductKey\"
    DigitalID = WshShell.RegRead(key & "DigitalProductId")
    
    
    ProductID = "Product ID: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductID") & vbNewLine
    ProductKey = "Installed Key: " & ConvertToKey(DigitalID)
    ProductID = ProductName & ProductID & ProductKey
    
    If vbYes = MsgBox(ProductId & vblf & vblf & "Save to a file?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Windows Key Information") then
       Save ProductID
    End if
    
    Function ConvertToKey(Key)
        Const KeyOffset = 52
        isWin8 = (Key(66) \ 6) And 1
        Key(66) = (Key(66) And &HF7) Or ((isWin8 And 2) * 4)
        i = 24
        Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
        Do
            Cur = 0
            X = 14
            Do
                Cur = Cur * 256
                Cur = Key(X + KeyOffset) + Cur
                Key(X + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24)
                Cur = Cur Mod 24
                X = X -1
            Loop While X >= 0
            i = i -1
            KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
            Last = Cur
        Loop While i >= 0
        If (isWin8 = 1) Then
            keypart1 = Mid(KeyOutput, 2, Last)
            insert = "N"
            KeyOutput = Replace(KeyOutput, keypart1, keypart1 & insert, 2, 1, 0)
            If Last = 0 Then KeyOutput = insert & KeyOutput
        End If
        a = Mid(KeyOutput, 1, 5)
        b = Mid(KeyOutput, 6, 5)
        c = Mid(KeyOutput, 11, 5)
        d = Mid(KeyOutput, 16, 5)
        e = Mid(KeyOutput, 21, 5)
        ConvertToKey = a & "-" & b & "-" & c & "-" & d & "-" & e
    End Function
    
    Function Save(Data)
        Const ForWRITING = 2
        Const asASCII = 0
        Dim fso, f, fName, ts
        fName = "Windows Key.txt"
        Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        fso.CreateTextFile fName
        Set f = fso.GetFile(fName)
        Set f = f.OpenAsTextStream(ForWRITING, asASCII)
        f.Writeline Data
        f.Close
    End Function
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by NiFu View Post
    This vbs-script reads the product key from it's original position
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId
    but is changed when WMC key is installed:
    Code:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Key = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\"
    DigitalID = WshShell.RegRead(key & "DigitalProductId")
    
    ProductName = "Product Name: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductName") & vbNewLine
    ProductID = "Product ID: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductID") & vbNewLine
    ProductKey = "Installed Key: " & ConvertToKey(DigitalID)
    ProductID = ProductName & ProductID & ProductKey
    
    If vbYes = MsgBox(ProductId & vblf & vblf & "Save to a file?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Windows Key Information") then
       Save ProductID
    End if
    
    Function ConvertToKey(Key)
        Const KeyOffset = 52
        isWin8 = (Key(66) \ 6) And 1
        Key(66) = (Key(66) And &HF7) Or ((isWin8 And 2) * 4)
        i = 24
        Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
        Do
            Cur = 0
            X = 14
            Do
                Cur = Cur * 256
                Cur = Key(X + KeyOffset) + Cur
                Key(X + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24)
                Cur = Cur Mod 24
                X = X -1
            Loop While X >= 0
            i = i -1
            KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
            Last = Cur
        Loop While i >= 0
        If (isWin8 = 1) Then
            keypart1 = Mid(KeyOutput, 2, Last)
            insert = "N"
            KeyOutput = Replace(KeyOutput, keypart1, keypart1 & insert, 2, 1, 0)
            If Last = 0 Then KeyOutput = insert & KeyOutput
        End If
        a = Mid(KeyOutput, 1, 5)
        b = Mid(KeyOutput, 6, 5)
        c = Mid(KeyOutput, 11, 5)
        d = Mid(KeyOutput, 16, 5)
        e = Mid(KeyOutput, 21, 5)
        ConvertToKey = a & "-" & b & "-" & c & "-" & d & "-" & e
    End Function
    
    Function Save(Data)
        Const ForWRITING = 2
        Const asASCII = 0
        Dim fso, f, fName, ts
        fName = "Windows Key.txt"
        Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        fso.CreateTextFile fName
        Set f = fso.GetFile(fName)
        Set f = f.OpenAsTextStream(ForWRITING, asASCII)
        f.Writeline Data
        f.Close
    End Function
    This vbs-script reads the product key from a backup position
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DefaultProductKey\DigitalProductId
    when WMC key is installed:
    Code:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Key = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DefaultProductKey\"
    DigitalID = WshShell.RegRead(key & "DigitalProductId")
    
    
    ProductID = "Product ID: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductID") & vbNewLine
    ProductKey = "Installed Key: " & ConvertToKey(DigitalID)
    ProductID = ProductName & ProductID & ProductKey
    
    If vbYes = MsgBox(ProductId & vblf & vblf & "Save to a file?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Windows Key Information") then
       Save ProductID
    End if
    
    Function ConvertToKey(Key)
        Const KeyOffset = 52
        isWin8 = (Key(66) \ 6) And 1
        Key(66) = (Key(66) And &HF7) Or ((isWin8 And 2) * 4)
        i = 24
        Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
        Do
            Cur = 0
            X = 14
            Do
                Cur = Cur * 256
                Cur = Key(X + KeyOffset) + Cur
                Key(X + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24)
                Cur = Cur Mod 24
                X = X -1
            Loop While X >= 0
            i = i -1
            KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
            Last = Cur
        Loop While i >= 0
        If (isWin8 = 1) Then
            keypart1 = Mid(KeyOutput, 2, Last)
            insert = "N"
            KeyOutput = Replace(KeyOutput, keypart1, keypart1 & insert, 2, 1, 0)
            If Last = 0 Then KeyOutput = insert & KeyOutput
        End If
        a = Mid(KeyOutput, 1, 5)
        b = Mid(KeyOutput, 6, 5)
        c = Mid(KeyOutput, 11, 5)
        d = Mid(KeyOutput, 16, 5)
        e = Mid(KeyOutput, 21, 5)
        ConvertToKey = a & "-" & b & "-" & c & "-" & d & "-" & e
    End Function
    
    Function Save(Data)
        Const ForWRITING = 2
        Const asASCII = 0
        Dim fso, f, fName, ts
        fName = "Windows Key.txt"
        Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        fso.CreateTextFile fName
        Set f = fso.GetFile(fName)
        Set f = f.OpenAsTextStream(ForWRITING, asASCII)
        f.Writeline Data
        f.Close
    End Function
    Thanks for these! However, when testing them out I noticed when I run the one that reads from the backup position it gives me a key that doesn't appear to even work for a Windows 8 reinstall and it's not the original Windows 8 key that I used before WMC changed the key. It wouldn't be the Windows 7 key that I upgraded to Windows 8 from would it?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 165
    Windows 8


    Could be that there is a second backup key:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DefaultProductKey2\DigitalProductId
    Code:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Key = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DefaultProductKey2\"
    DigitalID = WshShell.RegRead(key & "DigitalProductId")
    
    
    ProductID = "Product ID: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductID") & vbNewLine
    ProductKey = "Installed Key: " & ConvertToKey(DigitalID)
    ProductID = ProductName & ProductID & ProductKey
    
    If vbYes = MsgBox(ProductId & vblf & vblf & "Save to a file?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Windows Key Information") then
       Save ProductID
    End if
    
    Function ConvertToKey(Key)
        Const KeyOffset = 52
        isWin8 = (Key(66) \ 6) And 1
        Key(66) = (Key(66) And &HF7) Or ((isWin8 And 2) * 4)
        i = 24
        Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
        Do
            Cur = 0
            X = 14
            Do
                Cur = Cur * 256
                Cur = Key(X + KeyOffset) + Cur
                Key(X + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24)
                Cur = Cur Mod 24
                X = X -1
            Loop While X >= 0
            i = i -1
            KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
            Last = Cur
        Loop While i >= 0
        If (isWin8 = 1) Then
            keypart1 = Mid(KeyOutput, 2, Last)
            insert = "N"
            KeyOutput = Replace(KeyOutput, keypart1, keypart1 & insert, 2, 1, 0)
            If Last = 0 Then KeyOutput = insert & KeyOutput
        End If
        a = Mid(KeyOutput, 1, 5)
        b = Mid(KeyOutput, 6, 5)
        c = Mid(KeyOutput, 11, 5)
        d = Mid(KeyOutput, 16, 5)
        e = Mid(KeyOutput, 21, 5)
        ConvertToKey = a & "-" & b & "-" & c & "-" & d & "-" & e
    End Function
    
    Function Save(Data)
        Const ForWRITING = 2
        Const asASCII = 0
        Dim fso, f, fName, ts
        fName = "Windows Key.txt"
        Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        fso.CreateTextFile fName
        Set f = fso.GetFile(fName)
        Set f = f.OpenAsTextStream(ForWRITING, asASCII)
        f.Writeline Data
        f.Close
    End Function
    Otherwise check the key with "The Ultimate PID Checker"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 3
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by NiFu View Post
    Could be that there is a second backup key:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DefaultProductKey2\DigitalProductId
    Code:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Key = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DefaultProductKey2\"
    DigitalID = WshShell.RegRead(key & "DigitalProductId")
    
    
    ProductID = "Product ID: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductID") & vbNewLine
    ProductKey = "Installed Key: " & ConvertToKey(DigitalID)
    ProductID = ProductName & ProductID & ProductKey
    
    If vbYes = MsgBox(ProductId & vblf & vblf & "Save to a file?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Windows Key Information") then
       Save ProductID
    End if
    
    Function ConvertToKey(Key)
        Const KeyOffset = 52
        isWin8 = (Key(66) \ 6) And 1
        Key(66) = (Key(66) And &HF7) Or ((isWin8 And 2) * 4)
        i = 24
        Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
        Do
            Cur = 0
            X = 14
            Do
                Cur = Cur * 256
                Cur = Key(X + KeyOffset) + Cur
                Key(X + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24)
                Cur = Cur Mod 24
                X = X -1
            Loop While X >= 0
            i = i -1
            KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
            Last = Cur
        Loop While i >= 0
        If (isWin8 = 1) Then
            keypart1 = Mid(KeyOutput, 2, Last)
            insert = "N"
            KeyOutput = Replace(KeyOutput, keypart1, keypart1 & insert, 2, 1, 0)
            If Last = 0 Then KeyOutput = insert & KeyOutput
        End If
        a = Mid(KeyOutput, 1, 5)
        b = Mid(KeyOutput, 6, 5)
        c = Mid(KeyOutput, 11, 5)
        d = Mid(KeyOutput, 16, 5)
        e = Mid(KeyOutput, 21, 5)
        ConvertToKey = a & "-" & b & "-" & c & "-" & d & "-" & e
    End Function
    
    Function Save(Data)
        Const ForWRITING = 2
        Const asASCII = 0
        Dim fso, f, fName, ts
        fName = "Windows Key.txt"
        Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
        fso.CreateTextFile fName
        Set f = fso.GetFile(fName)
        Set f = f.OpenAsTextStream(ForWRITING, asASCII)
        f.Writeline Data
        f.Close
    End Function
    Otherwise check the key with "The Ultimate PID Checker"
    Well, sure enough there was another one there but it looks like that is also another unique Windows 8 Pro with Media Center Key...not the original Windows 8 Pro Key...how strange.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How to find old product key
Related Threads
Solved How do I find my Product Key? in Installation & Setup
I activated Windows 8 via phone. I gave them the 9 groups of digits and activated successfully. How do I find out my product key? I'm trying to "Add features to Windows 8"
How to Find Your Windows 8 and 8.1 Product Key Number The Windows 8 product key is a sequence of 25 letters and numbers divided into 5 groups of 5 characters each (ex: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX) that is used to activate either the 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 8 edition that you purchased and...
I am trying to download the Windows 8.1 ISO image so I can repair my current windows configuration. However, it is asking me for the product key. I purchased Windows 8 from the Windows store. Any assistance is appreciated.
Hi, My company gave me a Windows 8 Enterprise product key, which I'm trying to use to upgrade a version of Windows I'm running. I visited this link -- Upgrade Windows with only a product key - Microsoft Windows Help , clicked the "Install Windows 8" button, ran the setup file that downloaded,...
hi guys i need your help, i already installed Office 2013 on my PC, i lost the key,. so i like to know "How to find Office 2013 Key" by using a little software which can stay in USB then on one click i have to find out my key. I don't want to install any software to find out this key, but i want...
How to find the Windows Medicenter product key in Windows Updates & Activation
i have 4 licenses for windows 8 and 4 keys for media center. all purchased during the offer period. i have got an email from microsoft reminding me to activate before the 31st Jan 2013. with past versions of windows a significant hardware change would require you to ring ms to activate, i have only...
How to find product key? in General Support
Purchased a new HP notebook yesterday and to my surprise there's no product key on the unit. Called HP and according to them, that's the new way of doin' biz..no longer placing product key on chassis. Anyone know how to find the product key?
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook