Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Steve Ballmer Suggests Microsoft Has No Backup Plan if Windows 8 Fails

  1. #21


    Quote Originally Posted by kizo2703 View Post
    In comparison, Windows 7 had the official Beta and RC version and immediately it was announced that all the testers who sign up will get a free copy at the end.
    And it was announced all over internet, on many sites and forums.

    In Windows 8, we had only previews, which anyone could download and try.
    There was a Windows 7 Technical Beta - it was by invitation and not open to the general public. There was no "free copy (at the end) for anyone who signs up." In fact, until the very end there was no statement made or implied that technical beta testers would get ANYTHING beyond a thank-you (if even that).

    I think Microsoft did make the RC available publicly, but the "free copy" was available to techincal beta testers who met Microsoft's crteria for "active beta testers" (though they never specified what that meant). The free copy was in the form of a download and license key, or installation media (shipped later) - but not both. Once you opted for one you could not change your mind.

    To my knowledge there was never a "technical beta" for Windows 8. Having been through several of them in the past, though, I can imagine why:

    FAQ #1 in the newsgroups: "when will we get another build to test?" (sometimes MS offered "interim builds" between milestones - they were usually "buggy" so when an interim build proved less than ideal the next question was essentially "can we have another one that's better?")

    FAQ #2: "Will we get a free copy?"

    I imagine that because of that sort of thing and the constant leaks, MS probably discontinued technical beta testing.
    Last edited by TerryE; 18 Sep 2012 at 11:36. Reason: clarification

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 106
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro WMC, OS X Mavericks


    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    There was a Windows 7 Technical Beta - it was by invitation and not open to the general public.
    Yes, and that's why i didn't mentioned it.

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    There was no "free copy (at the end) for anyone who signs up." In fact, until the very end there was no statement made or implied that technical beta testers would get ANYTHING beyond a thank-you (if even that).
    At the beginning, there was not, only rumors, but in May 2009., when the test was at the end, they have begun to mention the rewards for ''hard work'' and, (unofficially) that it would be a copy of Windows.

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
    FAQ #2: "Will we get a free copy?"

    I imagine that because of that sort of thing and the constant leaks, MS probably discontinnued technical beta testing.
    Probably.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Redmond
    Posts : 651
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Microsoft already has TAP programs to do technical testing in a production environment, and I'm not sure why they bothered with the Windows 7 technical beta program. Not surprised it didn't happen for Windows 8, as it was replicating pre-existing programs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    There's ALWAYS an uproar with UI changes. Xp had it's bleh Luna interface that included an awful Start menu fly out that literally ended up covering up half the Desktop and the obnoxious pixel missing that closed it all. Then there was vista's UI changes. I've literally read complaints of that saying the menu was too small and they'll never be able to find anything with such a small compacted menu. Now we've come full circle.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Windows dominates the PC market and that's not going to change anytime soon, until or unless a truly viable alternative comes along. The percentage of PC users who actually have technical skills is small, so they'll have little option but to adapt to the changes if they want to continue using a PC.
    Yes, but it shouldn't be like that.

    We need viable alternatives.

    The barriers to entry are so enormous MS has free rein.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Redmond
    Posts : 651
    Windows 8.1 x64


    What viable alternative is there? Windows has a gigantic (and relatively easy to use) API set, good developer tools, and very (very) good and extensive enterprise support and services. There's a reason they're the 800lb gorilla, and it isn't because they ship on most every OEM device. It's the same thing that keeps other vendors out of the tablet market against the iPad, in reality - inertia, but also a good development and sales environment for other companies to leverage that to make their revenue.

    Until another company really treats customers the way Microsoft treats their customers (and that includes seeing "developers" as your customers, too), there won't be a change.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    That is exactly the point.

    For historic reasons, MS has control. Even Apple were stuck sub 5ish% for an age. It is only because they created an entirely different market they were able to get somewhere.

    Of course if there is only one supplier - everyone has to do things the way that supplier dictates - uniformity as you call it.

    That is not a good thing.

    Ironically - now a huge opprtunity has opened for alternatives.

    MS massive 1.3 - 1.5 bn existing desktop users are up for grabs.

    Some will just want a tablet anyway as their next purchase ( not necessarily a Windows tablet ).

    Some will have to buy a new machine if theirs breaks - it will have win8 on it - they will have to like it lump it - Unless thay have the $1200 entry price for a macbook - they have no choice.

    That leaves a vast number stuck - sitting on win 7 or XP - they will have to move eventually - but what to?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Because the barriers to entry are so vast - I can only think of a couple of possibilities.


    1. Apple can release a $600 macbook.

    Even the most ardent win8 lovers will know that would take a massive number away from windows - probably forever.

    2. Google can pull their finger out and build a truly usable viable Linux desktop based o/s ( it will have access to the Google proprietary cloud content of course ).

    Google can hand it out free to the oem's. The oem's would love it - they don't want to be reliant on MS.

    At last the public would have a genuine alternative - available everywhere on all types of oem machines.

    That is also the end for MS dominanace.

    Will either of them do it ?

    I don't know - but I am certain they are thinking about it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Redmond
    Posts : 651
    Windows 8.1 x64


    Thinking about it and being able to execute it - and well, because you don't get second chances at that level - are two different things. One thing I think Apple learned back in their previous days is that you can't totally ignore the enterprise if you want to toe the waters there, which may be part of the reason they don't really try very hard to push into that market. They've got token support, sure, but nothing of any scale or value. No enterprise is going to go with a vendor's "cloud", or with a vendor's product, that provides exactly 0 enterprise-grade support. This is one of the main reasons why WTG and Win8 tablets/ultrabooks in the enterprise are something IT departments are salivating over, especially ones that exert a high level of control over devices (or want to). As someone who works in these levels with different fortune 500 and 100 companies on a weekly basis, this is not something to scoff at - if Win8 devices provide the control they want at price points that are comparable, this will take off. If not, then iDevices will continue to be the go-to place for phones and tablets for a long time. However, the story here for Win8 devices is pretty good, and time will tell if Microsoft tells it well or not.

    To another important point, though: the reason Microsoft makes most of it's cash on enterprise sales and services isn't because they're preloaded on OEM machines. It's because their products are very good, are manageable, and they provide quality service and support both before and after the sale. Right now, no one else does that to that scale, period. As to the home market, I think people mistake iPad and iPhone sales, and usage of Google docs as somehow a way into that market. Apple makes money on hardware, so selling a device cheaply doesn't make them money - hence why they've not done it, and aren't likely to do so for the forseeable future. As to Google OS, it might take off, but again, Google's apps and cloud aren't the vast majority of what people actually do with PCs, although someone technical would have no problem with that. However, someone technical probably already knows how to use Linux and other *nix variants, has a handle on how the Mac OS works (and might have a device or two), and can easily administrate a Windows network and devices as well. The average person isn't likely to be able to handle that yet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Quote Originally Posted by TheGrantFitz View Post
    Windows 8 cannot fail. Everyone who doesn't read all that negative press should actually try and use it, not just the god-awful look. The "SkyDrive" and metro explorer may suck, but please, let's just try it.
    So what would you say to those of us who aren't particular excited or interested in this new UI, but have used Windows 8 extensively through all of the releases?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Steve Ballmer Suggests Microsoft Has No Backup Plan if Windows 8 Fails
Related Threads
Steve Ballmer to Stay with Microsoft After Resignation
Steve Ballmer half-heartedly confesses Microsoft built too many Surface tablets | Computerworld Blogs
Steve Ballmer: Windows 8.1 Is Proof That We Listened and We Learned LOL
It might explain a few things: Steve Ballmer 'not the right leader' for Microsoft: ex-Microsoft executive and book author
Source A Guy
Read more.. The three phases of Steve Ballmer's tenure at Microsoft | Microsoft - CNET News
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook