Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Dear readers: How would you change or improve Windows 8?

  1. #81


    USA/Tenn/Oak Ridge
    Posts : 245
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Right click anywhere on an empty space in the Start Screen. All apps bar/button appears, although it would be nice to have it on a tile I think would be a good idea.

    That's a great idea. It would make usage a bit easier.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #82


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    As far as the endless Linux flavors not all things run on all flavors of that OS. Debian and ubuntu are not compatible with each other as Mephis would be something else. Mandrake formerly Mandriva is another Red Hat not compatible with others. The list there goes on and on.
    Indeed.
    I read an article a couple of days ago by a former Linux evangelist who was complaining about that very thing (not everything runs on all distros, without tinkering).
    I thought that the most interesting thing about the article was that despite his statements that he now uses Macs, a lot of the comments accused him of being a MS shill.

    That said, I suspect that it is much easier to make Linux programs work on other Linux distros, than to get make Mac programs run natively on Windows (or vice versa).

    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    There are a ridiculous number of Linux distros available.
    That kind of fragmentation is the reason why it's failing to or never will become a general user OS. Your average user will get confused by it and companies like Adobe will never support that many flavors of an OS.
    Agreed.
    I have stated that very thing on other forums.

    Linux greatest strength is also its greatest weakness (i.e. too many options).

    The guy I mentioned above made that same point.
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 05 Sep 2012 at 21:30.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #83


    Quote Originally Posted by R0bR View Post
    That kind of fragmentation is the reason why it's failing to or never will become a general user OS. Your average user will get confused by it and companies like Adobe will never support that many flavors of an OS.
    This same fragmentation is exactly the reason that it's ideal, in some cases, for the person who elects to use it. I do agree, it's never going to become a general purpose everyday OS for most people...and even as a Linux user I don't really care about that. To standardize on 1 distro and way of doing something, completely goes against the principal of Linux in the first place. Linux for our shop works great for where we use it, in the server room. It's the right tool in this place and has the right cost for us.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #84


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    What Killed the Linux Desktop


    Here's the link to the article I mentioned in my last post:
    What Killed the Linux Desktop - Miguel de Icaza
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #85


    Posts : 738
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional


    The Linux desktop and Mac while having things like Wine are still glued to heavily to the old UNIX platform. Despite the workarounds to get things going on the different bases for the open source side of Linux a new flavor monthly mainly suits the temp needs. On the server side rather then desktop you wouldn't be dealing with software costs since it is open source unlike the upgrades for each server version of Windows being a commercially marketed OS.

    The Fruit company has their own form of that with Solaris while you also find an Open Solaris still not desktop however. With MS on the other hand the idea of bringing in a touchscreen interface would be the eventual progress in the Windows line-up. The problems with 8 however is just how they are bringing that in.

    And you wonder why the price went down? When bringing in the new they also started stripping out the familiar! WMP losing dvd and video support? Media Center now will be a separate "paid for" item along with the other Metro or should I say "Modern" apps as MS dumped the Metro name. Then you add the one thing most are ticked off about namely the Start menu/Programs with only a hidden apps bar most won't even know about.

    Putting it bluntly MS didn't bother to think things through as to how all these changes would be received being too busy trying to focus on the competitive edge over the Fruit company as well as the "Google-lation" of mobile OSs! The best move MS could have made would have been to have two set up options for standard or Modern seen with the 8 installer. That would allow retaining some Windows desktop identity rather then stripping it out completely for those using "point and click".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #86


    @ Night Hawk. I'd quote you, but with my post it would be quite lengthy as you will see. Good post BTW.

    First off, thanks for answering me on the "Microsoft’s biggest ever flop" thread.

    Wasn’t certain media programs left out because of copyright and/or the licensing issues? Digital rights management comes into mind for some reason. I’m not sure on the subject.

    I subscribe to this thread and see you members posting about Linux and Mac OSs, of which I don't know anything about other than they exist. You Pros and even long time power users probably know more about technicalities of computing than I probably ever will. Most of you have degrees, of which I do not.

    However, I do know some things about business, for I’ve owned a building business for quite some time. I do not have a business degree either, but am self-taught and through experience of hard knocks. I was doing OK until the housing crash. Still make a decent living at it, though.

    My father owned his own business for forty some odd years until he retired. He and I were not close, but I admired him for his entrepreneurial attitude, efforts, and risk. He actually started his own brand of water softeners back in the early 60’s when water softening wasn’t cool. He got his foot in the door early so far as that industry goes. He was supporting twelve of us kids at that time. That’s quite a risk to take, wouldn’t you say? He did ok monetarily to the point where he learned to fly and had his own plane for quite a few years. But, one thing I think he didn’t do was to think outside the box he placed himself in. Believe me, I would be typing this as a multimillionaire if he had thought bigger. He could have been the “Culligan” of water softeners. His business became stagnant. That is to say it grew to a certain point then stopped growing. I guess he was satisfied with that income level, which was fairly good. That, more or less, left us twelve children out of the picture. But, as the French say “C'est la vie!”

    Please don’t take this personally. I’m not at all accusing you of doing this, but I think that sometimes we all do from time to time. Let’s think outside the box for a moment, most importantly, from a business point of view. What I read in posts and for the most part Pros and PUs here think that they are being left out of MS’s decision making. I feel it’s quite the contrary. I think they know very well that Enterprise, colleges/schools, IT personnel, PUs, and the like are and have been the backbone of their empire. You are what made them what they are and you all continue to be their biggest market. Home computing, phones, etc. added, but for the bigger part you were/are.

    I realize this post getting lengthy, but please bear with me.

    As you probably know, a business plan is one of the essentials of any business. If one does not consider a path to take, one gets lost. I think MS is caught between a rock and a hard place here, especially in a market timing aspect. On one hand they have all you and enterprise to consider. On the other is a market that smart phone companies with their OSs, iMe Fruit Company, and others started with the backing of a general public market purchasing it called -> “touch”.

    What would any of us do when faced with that predicament? Would we continue as we always did or do we chase new markets and expand? Remember my father and not desiring to expand. Any business that does not expand becomes stagnant. Just like sitting water, it begins to stink. Believe you me, there were many a discussion and hard feelings amongst us siblings trying to convince him otherwise. Therefore, a business needs to expand.

    I believe MS knows very well about your desire of choice of UI, but they can’t allow that. I think they want to introduce 8 and teach the general public on how to use it. If they left a choice for the general public, most would probably remain to do things the old way, therefore no progression. Call it “forcing” or anything you will, but it can’t and won’t be there from a business point of view. Is it morally or ethically correct for them to excercise this? I'm not qualified to answer that.

    They kept the desktop for all to use legacy software during this transition of change. I hear every one of you Pros and PUs. It surely sounds like this doesn’t pacify your needs and rightfully so. Perhaps MS knows this. I’m quite sure they have you in mind. 7 will be around for quite some time and probably a 9 will suffice your needs.

    Now for the MS Store, the Cloud, and the like. These are also controversial subjects on this forum. So far as the MS Store is concerned; If I owned an OS company and people have used my OS products for decades to use legacy software on, I too would probably wake up and smell the coffee. I too would get into the app business to get a piece of the pie. It’s another way to expand my business. After all iMe, Google, legacy program companies, and others do. Also, we don’t complain about Office, do we? That alone put some companies out of business or shrunk some. How about Windows Server?

    So far as the “Cloud” is concerned; These are not “dark clouds”, as long as one has a choice whether or not to store files there. I personally store files there, but not sensitive personal files. I think we all need to exercise common sense in this area. If anything, I’m forced to back up my smart phone contacts on a cloud, unless I’m ignorant to know some other means without rooting it. Perhaps someone could fill me in.

    In conclusion, expansion into other markets for growth and profit is what capitalism is all about. I can’t blame MS or anyone for exercising that, especially in this worldwide economical climate.
    Last edited by HippsieGypsie; 06 Sep 2012 at 09:56.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #87


    ^ @ HippsieGypsie
    . I wish that I could rep that post above, it's very well stated and was enjoyable to read. Thanks for the perspective.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #88


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    especially @ HippsieGypsie.
    In general a very well written and thought out post -- but I sometimes have the reputation of being "The 5th player in a String quartet" on these forums so I'll continue in that vein and refute some of what you are saying..

    We all have problems with W8 as PREVIOUS users of windows -- but what about the NEW lot who've never used Windows before and don't have any previous experience to go by.

    Most of the people I've shown W8 to who have had NO PREVIOUS experience of Windows (and that's the crunch line) actually quite like it.

    We all know installing standard apps like adobe CS6 (the whole package) creates zillions of useless tiles - and I think we've all agreed on these forums that installing "Classical Windows apps" on W8 needs a whole radical re-think by MS -- but all I can say -- much to my own surprise as I really struggled with W8 at the start -- is how easily people who have never used Windows before don't have a problem with W8.

    Guys who run everything from a command line or who are real Windows Gurus experienced with previous versions of windows may well have a problem -- as well as casual office users weaned on "XP". -- That's a whole different issue and I'd hate to be in an I.T dept. training a load of staff how to use W8 compared with the XP system they are used to (or even W7).

    Transition is often hard when you leave "Old friends" behind - but actually the methodology of W8 makes a lot of sense -- it's just the implementation so far hasn't been the greatest thing ever to have come from Redmond.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #89


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    We all know installing standard apps like adobe CS6 (the whole package) creates zillions of useless tiles - and I think we've all agreed on these forums that installing "Classical Windows apps" on W8 needs a whole radical re-think by MS -- but all I can say -- much to my own surprise as I really struggled with W8 at the start -- is how easily people who have never used Windows before don't have a problem with W8.
    Righto, because they don't use Windows and don't load lots of stuff, they don't even realize this would be a pain in the arse to have to deal with.

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Guys who run everything from a command line or who are real Windows Gurus experienced with previous versions of windows may well have a problem -- as well as casual office users weaned on "XP". -- That's a whole different issue and I'd hate to be in an I.T dept. training a load of staff how to use W8 compared with the XP system they are used to (or even W7).
    I don't think many businesses are planning to switch over. I know that we aren't even thinking about it at this point. We still have a good # of computers on Vista as we haven't had the need to move them to 7. We really don't have a need to move them to 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #90


    @ pparks1 and jimbo 45

    Thank you both sincerely for the compliment and your honesty in critique.

    It will be the consciousness of the whole that will determine what the reality is or isn't.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Dear readers: How would you change or improve Windows 8?
Related Threads
Can I change hardware and improve font rendering in Windows 8? Text on Windows 8 looks pretty awful on my hardware. I'm using an Nvidia 550ti card and a Dell U2410 monitor. Text, in browsers and in the Windows GUI, is spindly, pixellated, and headache-inducing. Evidence? Look at msn.com in IE10...
Dear Microsoft... in Chillout Room
19305 A Guy ;)
Oh dear.... in Chillout Room
Well, something that EVERY single tech head fears more than death, hard drive failure. Today, my 500 gig hard drive has expired, it is a former hard drive, it is gone to be with other dead hard drives, this hard drive is not a hard drive anymore!! :huh: :( :cry: :mad: :cry: Worst part about...
Dear Microsoft, in General Support
I am a Windows user and Windows 8 is awesome! :thumb: Regards, A Windows User
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook