Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Can Microsoft Fail?

  1. #11


    Posts : 636
    Windows 7/8


    I dunno, this is orders of magnitude worse. They basically changed the entire OS interface (as far as it looks on the surface). If Microsoft had licensed Mac OS and called it Windows 8 it would have been less of a jarring experience. The changes and problems with ME and Vista pale in comparison. Vista was really only slightly problematic, it got 10x the bad press that it deserved, that's how things go these days. What if we have a release that truly deserves that amount of bad press? It'll get 10x the bad press and bad user response that Vista did, that's what! How much is too much?

    MS managed to push though the Vista press, it had decent enough sales though unspectacular.... How Windows 8 does is anyones guess, but now serving up a REAL excuse to be put off by a Windows upgrade... that's relatively new. Not since Windows 3.1->95, but in that case virtually everything about 95 was demonstrably better, even if "different". Metro is far from that case

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    I dunno, this is orders of magnitude worse. They basically changed the entire OS interface (as far as it looks on the surface). If Microsoft had licensed Mac OS and called it Windows 8 it would have been less of a jarring experience.
    I don't know if I would go that far. They radically changed the start interface and the start screen. The regular desktop looks like normal (of course, with the exception of the start button).


    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal View Post
    It'll get 10x the bad press and bad user response that Vista did, that's what! How much is too much?
    I don't know, Vista came out of the gate pretty badly and ran very poorly. This OS runs good, it just looks strange and the UI on the start screen is likely going to be a make it or break it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    The failure at Redmond is that they don't seem to understand that it's not the poeple that should adapt to Microsoft but Microsoft that should adapt to the poeple. Microsoft has proven in the last months when W8 was previewed, that they are unable to listen to criticism, unable to fix what everybody says it doesn't work, unable to show flexibility, unable to act according to responses on their blog. Even worse: They take a radical policy, refusing totaly to question certain things.
    It reminds me of the "RTFM" attitude displayed on some Linux forums.

    MS, "We're not wrong. It's the World that's wrong."

    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I don't think it matters. They had people who were mad with ME, they had people who were mad with Vista. So, for those who were irritated with Vista, they just stayed on XP. Some jumped to 7 when 7 came out. Very few people left MS altogether because of it. Didn't happen then, won't happen now.
    Still, people refusing to buy the new OS means that MS loses money.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Not really.

    MS have decided they must get some percentage of the mobile market - and they must do it now.

    That is the priority.

    If they get a few per cent of tablet market, they will be Happy.

    They know many desktop users will stick with xp or seven and give this one a miss.

    To try and get some of them on board and for initial momentum in the sales figures, MS are doing the give away $40 deal.

    That is the plan.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Bay Area
    Posts : 21,841
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64


    MS has the perfect opportunity. Once you understand 8 is made for tablets, and Windows 7 is still going strong, it is the perfect time to get it out there. Actually, it is far past time, but they are smart to get in late, rather then never. If they had just said "we are coming out with a new mobile OS", there wouldn't be all the hoopla. They have 7 for the long term, and now they have a mobile OS. If perople want it on their desktops and laptops, that is a bonus. I think we've all seen this, and the underlying improvements bodes well for 9...assuming they don't plan on keeping up with the GUI path set out with 8. A Guy
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by A Guy View Post
    MS has the perfect opportunity. Once you understand 8 is made for tablets, and Windows 7 is still going strong, it is the perfect time to get it out there. Actually, it is far past time, but they are smart to get in late, rather then never. If they had just said "we are coming out with a new mobile OS", there wouldn't be all the hoopla. They have 7 for the long term, and now they have a mobile OS. If perople want it on their desktops and laptops, that is a bonus. I think we've all seen this, and the underlying improvements bodes well for 9...assuming they don't plan on keeping up with the GUI path set out with 8. A Guy
    That's exactly right and it's clearly the strategy Microsoft has presented. Yet we have tech bloggers and power users that are turning this around saying how it will fail for desktop and enterprise meanwhile they've never been the target.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    8 runs great...it feels faster than 7... it boots incredibly faster. no delays or anything... 7 booted in 52 secs on my laptop... this one boots in 21s. That is really fast and I like it.

    There are many things for the geeks (anyone seen the task manager?) and as simple as a mobile OS. Most people will not get out of the start screen and I believe its a good HOME/Lockscreen. You have pretty much all your info at a glance.

    Look at how Apple is adding a LOT of their mobile stuff to Mountain Lion and I don't see but praises to them. MS does it fully and get bad press for a UI Change? There are many things better than 7 and I am NOT going back. I do have a few quirks and the main one is that it's hard to find the desktop programs once they are installed as there is no start menu to look for them and forces you to use the file manager to find them. Although is not that bad since most of them will add a quicklaunch button and I added that as I always have.

    In the end they have NOT removed any functionality from the OS, they just added a simple layer of "webapps" or widgets that have their own layer and are NOT in the way or inaccessible in a cumbersome way. The start button can/is serving as a switcher between the start screen and the desktop and things are overlayed quite nice instead of the nagging pop ups. Honestly... The good outweighs the bad, but since people dislike change and learning a few things new, well... They will complain.

    If people give it an honest try and a try to try to learn it, and learn it well they will end up liking it. They will give an honest feedback that will drive the product better than what it is.

    For instance. it is the first time in a long time that I have been using IE in a long time, specially when I am in metro-mode and since it displays the webpage in full screen from the start with a flowing interface I find myself using it a lot more than what I have ever used internet explorer since version 5 at the U. That is a good sign for MS/IE and many others.

    Hopefully with each update it will get better and maybe SP1 will bring big enhancements like xp did with sp2 etc etc etc.

    People are not seeing it, but for me, Metro is a Media Center approach to the start menu.... Metro is just now a full screen start menu with lots of functionality.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks
    They had people who were mad with ME, they had people who were mad with Vista. So, for those who were irritated with Vista, they just stayed on XP. Some jumped to 7 when 7 came out. Very few people left MS altogether because of it. Didn't happen then, won't happen now.
    No the probloem with come with new computer preinstalled with W8. In these cases poeple don't hae the choice of staying with W7. But some will come back to the store and ask for a refund.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSeal
    The changes and problems with ME and Vista pale in comparison
    Totaly different issues in fact. ME and Vista had technical problems while W8 has a UI concept problem (a phylosophic one I daresay!)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBR
    Quote Originally Posted by A Guy
    MS has the perfect opportunity. Once you understand 8 is made for tablets, and Windows 7 is still going strong, it is the perfect time to get it out there. Actually, it is far past time, but they are smart to get in late, rather then never. If they had just said "we are coming out with a new mobile OS", there wouldn't be all the hoopla. They have 7 for the long term, and now they have a mobile OS. If perople want it on their desktops and laptops, that is a bonus. I think we've all seen this, and the underlying improvements bodes well for 9...assuming they don't plan on keeping up with the GUI path set out with 8. A Guy
    That's exactly right and it's clearly the strategy Microsoft has presented. Yet we have tech bloggers and power users that are turning this around saying how it will fail for desktop and enterprise meanwhile they've never been the target.
    No I disagree! MS always made abundantly clear that they wanted all desktops displays to look like your cellphone display, and that it is the revolution of the century. They do target all PC's. The fact is not that you install w8 as an otpion to enjoy Metro. The fact is that you have no option to turn Metro off if your PC comes preinstalled with W8. How that will improve their market shares for tablets, I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander
    For instance. it is the first time in a long time that I have been using IE in a long time, specially when I am in metro-mode and since it displays the webpage in full screen from the start with a flowing interface I find myself using it a lot more than what I have ever used internet explorer since version 5 at the U. That is a good sign for MS/IE and many others.
    Yeah it's a good sign that MS made IE non resizable and not minimizable. Something that you can get in every FULL SCREEN browsers since IE 4 by pressing the F11 key. LOL. :barf:
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 534
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP


    Quote Originally Posted by Fredledingue View Post
    Yeah it's a good sign that MS made IE non resizable and not minimizable. Something that you can get in every FULL SCREEN browsers since IE 4 by pressing the F11 key. LOL. :barf:
    IE10 on the desktop is still resizable and minimizable, if your preference is not Metro IE then don't use it. You complain that you have no options in Windows 8 but then when there are you still complain.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    No I don't complain about IE10. I complain that some poeple present the full screen display in IE10 as something kind of new and one reason to like Metro. I do appreciate full screen browsers but don't tell me it's a new feature. Press F11 if don't know what I mean! Regards.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Can Microsoft Fail?
Related Threads
This is my LAN @ home. I set up all the PCs. The workgroup is the same. I know all the passwords and logins. 7 is wired to a switch that is connected to a router. 8.1 is connected to the router via wifi. I am trying to connect to a 8.1 PC from a 7 Ultimate pc. 7 sees 8.1 in explorer and...
Windows 8.1 upgrade fail in Installation & Setup
Anyone point me in the right direction. I think I have the windows media package. Any tips would help, as there are some apps on the windows store I would like to download and I can't =(
TuneIn Radio fail in Software and Apps
I'm a new window 8.1 user and I was stunned that the TuneIn radio App is so unreliable on PC. It doesn't start streaming the station most of the time and when it does it cuts off after a few minutes. I've read the reviews in the Store and problems seem to have started for most users after a...
Solved Fail to update to windows 8.1 in Installation & Setup
Hi there, I'm trying to update my windows 8 to windows 8.1 on a HP Pavilion g7-2261sb. However, after numerous trials, every time, the installation stops and says "failed to install. error code 0xc0000374". EDIT: I checked again and it comes after the "collecting data" part. I've ran...
Read more: Why Windows RT tablets are set to fail | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook