Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Did MS just kill the Windows oem market ?

  1. #41


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    --go into a pub and drink some proper Beer.
    Cheers! I think people who don't like beer just haven't drunk enough of it. I mean, I didn't like it when I was eleven, but by the time I was 21, I knew it was the right stuff! Besides, it's better for you than the "bog standard" in most of the places I've traveled

    I don't think it'll be so easy to get rid of the OEMs, and I expect that MS wouldn't want to. Anyway, I'm not sure that's really going down the right path to just assume that whatever hardware Microsoft makes will necessarily be better than what the OEMs are making. That argument seems a little fuzzy to me, but you folks might be able to enlighten me if I'm mistaken.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Not much on learning from your mistakes, are you?
    This is funny. See, here I am doing exactly what you requested we all do for you - respond directly to what you wrote. And it doesn't matter to you. You don't reciprocate, just blow it all off (again.) It's not hard to do. Wanna see how easy it is? I quote something you say - like I did above - and specifically address it. What's the point of quoting everything I just typed to you if you ignore it? You just show me what I wrote (gee, I remember doing that because I wrote it) and say I'm not learning from my mistakes, whatever the hell that means. Does that mean the same thing as "fanboy"? Because you back it up with just as much, and by "much" I mean "nothing." It's easy for me to say I like clarity because I actually believe it, and if I'm not clear I own up to the mistake of not being clear. As for other possible mistakes, I don't know what the hell you're talking about because you're as clear as mud. It's not just with me, it's with other people. Sometimes you thump down several comments in one giant brick of a quote that nobody reads because we all read it the first time it was written, in order to "prove" your point, which you don't prove because all you're doing is insulting people. Not all the time. But sometimes.

    Practice what you preach. <-------------Read this. I know you said you aren't gonna read stuff, and there's a 95% chance that you skipped the big huge paragraph above this one and thrown it out the window, so you may not know entirely what I'm referring to in this sentence, which is the context problem you ran into with the New Coke reference, but behind that arrow I made at the beginning of this paragraph are only four words, I think you can handle four words if you've made it this far, although I seriously wonder if you have.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Not much on learning from your mistakes, are you?
    This is funny. See, here I am doing exactly what you requested we all do for you - respond directly to what you wrote. And it doesn't matter to you. You don't reciprocate, just blow it all off (again.)
    All you do is respond with endless guff. I gave you some good advice a couple of messages ago. Either you'll take it and apply it or you won't.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Guff? The only thing you do is this:

    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    Not much on learning from your mistakes, are you?
    This is funny. See, here I am doing exactly what you requested we all do for you - respond directly to what you wrote. And it doesn't matter to you. You don't reciprocate, just blow it all off (again.)
    All you do is respond with endless guff. I gave you some good advice a couple of messages ago. Either you'll take it and apply it or you won't.
    And then you finish it off with a statement that has zero to do with what you quoted. Correction - this isn't exactly what you do, because I'm actually making a point here. And that point is showing what you do, which is not making a point except that you can apparently find the Quote button with your eyes closed.

    You don't properly read and you don't properly respond. You're not anywhere close to the standard you set for everyone else. I keep hammering your "fanboy" response to Bill because you didn't respond to what Bill had just said. You responded to a bunch of stuff before that and then lumped his new criticisms (which you blew off) with his previous ones.

    Who wrote this:
    I've responded directly to things that have been said in this thread, things that stand on their own. Will you try to do the same when you reply to me?
    That was you - after not responding directly to Bill and in the middle of not responding directly to anything I wrote to you.

    You want another specific, concrete example from this thread that backs up what I saying about you? I could pick out a ton but I'm gonna stick to just one.

    You wrote there is no "oncoming rush of people eager to dump their iPads and buy something from Microsoft." Where did you get this "fact"? Show me proof of this, other than you pulled it out of your sweet pattootie? You may be right. I really don't know. You backed up that statement with no concrete evidence. This is how you back up something like that:

    Microsoft's Surface tablet no threat to Apple's iPad

    But even a link like that isn't truly concrete evidence - it's concrete supposition. That's all you're doing, except you're using no one else's say-so except your own. Sometimes you go into detail with your answers. But not once in this thread do you use any source other than your own tap-tap-tapping at your keyboard to back up anything you say. The only time you inserted a link was to something that you wrote in this forum three weeks ago! And because you don't read, you couldn't even give proper criticism to me like FSeal did. He read the ZDNet story therefore he said - I think he was referring to Metro. And then I responded to him, and there were no insults and that was the end of it. You, on the other hand and for some bizarre reason, keep typing nonsense, while accusing me of the one peddling nonsense, except I'm the one explaining to you - using the very non-nonsensical formula you support - how nonsensical you're being. Unfreakingbelievable. I've been pointing out specifically how you don't follow your own rules and you apparently don't even know it, and I find that comical.

    If you want to respond to this, fine. But I dare you to not quote the entire thing in one big chunk.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Clicks thread tools and selects "unsubscribe from this thread".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    You quoted that comment and replied to me to defend the poster who said those ridiculous things, and you rather strongly implied I had compared the Surface to New Coke or was supporting that argument, which is completely false and a strange thing to say.
    crawfish - when I wrote "you" in that response, I was referring to "you" in the general sense, not you, crawfish. If you (crawfish) had read the link, which is the reason this thread exists, then you (crawfish) might have figured it out because it's obvious you (crawfish) weren't talking about New Coke or anything else I brought up in that comment.

    Nonetheless, I obviously wasn't following my own rule about clarity. But if you (specifically and generally) want to be on the same page when talking about stuff, can you put some effort on your end, too, and actually read the links people put here? They put them in for a reason.

    Even though Bill and I disagree about Metro, I respect Bill's opinion because he's got a lot of computer knowledge. He said he can't find but 100 good apps out of 500,000 for his iPad, and that it crashes and for that you call him a fanboy? That doesn't make any sense. His good app ratio, by the way, is higher than the ratio for me and Android. I use about 40, and of those 40 I use maybe 10 daily. The other 499,960 are garbage to me. Mine also locks up. I've got the same freaking complaints - so if MS (or anyone else) can build a better tablet I'm very interested.

    Thanks for trying to help Colonel, just one word of advice, it's no good keeping on hitting your head against a brick wall. Better off just stating your case and leaving it at that. Like I've said before I've got no special interest in Microsoft apart from the fact that I like using their OS. There are things I don't like about Windows 8, but I understand that MS has been pushed into a corner and needs to reinvent themselves.

    Saying stupid things like MS is just doing this to upset people is beyond ridiculous. One thing I've learnt over the years is that the biggest danger to Microsoft is Microsoft users, not Apple users, not Linux users, but MS users. Change one little thing and they're up in arms.

    I used ME for years and found it much better than Windows 98 on several computers, not just one, no crashes no freezing, nothing. Same with Vista on a capable computer, not a 10 year old one. Yet all we hear is Windows users complaining, and of course all this complaining spills over onto the net where I spend a lot of time. Apple fanboys pick up on this complaining and spread it around and throw it back in our faces in a never ending circle, go and have a look at a few forums on the net and you'll see what I mean.
    I said a couple of days ago that Tech bloggers would start ripping Surface apart, it's happening already, same with the Windows 8 phone.

    What makes it even worse, you come to a Windows website and you hear all the same rubbish, so I'm going to have another break for a couple of weeks, the negativity is disheartening.
    Thanks again Colonel, take it easy and like I said, don't keep knocking yourself out.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Posts : 454
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    The founder of Acer seems to think it's all some sort of elaborate hoax:

    Microsoft Surface just a ploy to sell Windows 8, says Acer founder
    Shih told DigiTimes he believes Microsoft is unlikely to take a real stab at competing with Android and the iPad because the costs related to hardware manufacture yield far less profit than the company's tried-and-true software licensing business model.
    ...
    Shih said that vendors should take a positive view of Microsoft's plan as it can be seen as essentially free advertising.


    So, don't worry, be happy, I guess? Microsoft has got the OEMs' back. If Shih is not just a retired, foolish old man and is on to something, and Microsoft produces these things in a half-hearted way, well, that would just be further evidence of its corporate dementia.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Thanks - interesting read.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 740
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by crawfish View Post
    The founder of Acer seems to think it's all some sort of elaborate hoax:

    Microsoft Surface just a ploy to sell Windows 8, says Acer founder
    Shih told DigiTimes he believes Microsoft is unlikely to take a real stab at competing with Android and the iPad because the costs related to hardware manufacture yield far less profit than the company's tried-and-true software licensing business model.
    ...
    Shih said that vendors should take a positive view of Microsoft's plan as it can be seen as essentially free advertising.


    So, don't worry, be happy, I guess? Microsoft has got the OEMs' back. If Shih is not just a retired, foolish old man and is on to something, and Microsoft produces these things in a half-hearted way, well, that would just be further evidence of its corporate dementia.
    That does make sense. Microsoft has not indicated that the Surface will get exclusive features, and it's unlikely that Microsoft could push unrealistic prices. All OEM tablets should be identical, if not better or cheaper (but hopefully not crappier).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Acer founder Stan Shih on Wednesday referred to Microsoft's recently-announced Surface tablet as merely a tool to boost adoption of Windows 8, saying that the Redmond-based company has no real intention to enter the hardware game.
    If this is true, then you can bet Microsoft won't be putting a lot of cash into a dedicated Surface support environment. ...no Microsoft Surface help desk next door to your apple store.

    I had my doubts about ongoing support for the Surfance anyhow, and that's reason enough for me to stay loyal to a reputable OEM.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Did MS just kill the Windows oem market ?
Related Threads
Will the lack of good Windows 8 apps kill Windows tablets? | Computerworld Blogs
Windows 9 Could Kill Metro Completely, Unify Tablet, Mobile OSes ? Report
http://i39.tinypic.com/2lsfntt.png Source A Guy
How to market Windows 8 in Windows 8 News
Microsoft Releases a New Round of Cringe Worthy Ads | Maximum PC
Windows 8 Will Have a "Kill Switch" - The Vigilant Citizen Not confirmed....just saying :think: CREDITS: The Vigilant Citizen
We all know of it, we all hardly use it in deference to itunes, VLC, and the sorts. But should it remain with us? I was thinking about this feature that is just sucky. I never use it other than to play media files, and I never use the navigation of it because it's just terrible. It also looks...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook