Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Will Windows 8 Work Out For The Average PC User?

  1. #1

    Will Windows 8 Work Out For The Average PC User?


    With Windows 8 set for launch later this year, the debate is still raging on about the relatively radical design changes implemented by Microsoft in the OS. Now, before I go on, I want to note that Iím not the type thatís resistant to change. Improvement and progress is welcome, and I really donít mind adjusting to changes of any sort. But, the issue isnít with people like me; itís with users that struggled to understand Windows as it was before these radical changes.

    Will Windows 8 Work Out For The Average PC User? | Redmond Pie

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    They should bring out two versions of Windows 8, one with training wheels and one for people open to change. I was going to word this differently but I didn't want to start world war 3.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    I think it will be a big success especially with the smart phone and tablet crowd as the PC has a similar interface and access to Metro Apps that will also be on the phones and tablets.

    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    I think it will be a big success especially with the smart phone and tablet crowd as the PC has a similar interface and access to Metro Apps that will also be on the phones and tablets.

    Jim
    I agree, but I think we're in the minority.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    For me, the reason to get a Windows based tablet PC is to get away from the restrictive interfaces and apps provided by iDroid devices. I was thinking about getting a Windows tablet so that I could have all the functionality of my desktop PC. I'm a little worried about being locked into "Metro" so I may end up with a Windows 7 tablet a bit sooner than I anticipated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
    For me, the reason to get a Windows based tablet PC is to get away from the restrictive interfaces and apps provided by iDroid devices. I was thinking about getting a Windows tablet so that I could have all the functionality of my desktop PC. I'm a little worried about being locked into "Metro" so I may end up with a Windows 7 tablet a bit sooner than I anticipated.
    Its entirely up to you what you do but as far as I'm aware as long as you buy an Intel based tablet with Windows 8, you wont be locked into Metro. Dont forget Windows 8 is optomised for tablets and also the new Intel chips are as well. You're experience on a Windows 8 tablet should be a lot better than on a Windows 7 tablet.
    My personal opinion is that you will be much better off with a Windows 8 tablet, but I could be totally wrong. The only problem you could have is if you bought an ARM based tablet.
    Also battery life will be much better and any heat problems should be less.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Well, I've always thought that Windows 8 will be better suited in the younger generations. Yes, there are the older folks out there that do keep with technology, but to me, the younger crowd will adopt it better. It might not necessary be due to being used to "smart"phone UIs, since they would need to be using Windows Phones to truly say they are adapted to Windows 8. It would be more due to the fact that it's greatly different, it's not the Windows their parents used. I think that would be the major attraction point.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Its entirely up to you what you do but as far as I'm aware as long as you buy an Intel based tablet with Windows 8, you wont be locked into Metro.
    I don't like Metro as an interface. I know an x86 tablet will be able to run all the conventional x86 apps, but I just don't like the start menu replacement.

    I can see a lot of people being confused with Metro. People who have been using computers since 95/98/XP shouldn't have to change the way they use the computer. Sure, things got moved around a bit in Vista/7, but Metro is like a whole 'nother OS.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Its entirely up to you what you do but as far as I'm aware as long as you buy an Intel based tablet with Windows 8, you wont be locked into Metro.
    I don't like Metro as an interface. I know an x86 tablet will be able to run all the conventional x86 apps, but I just don't like the start menu replacement.

    I can see a lot of people being confused with Metro. People who have been using computers since 95/98/XP shouldn't have to change the way they use the computer. Sure, things got moved around a bit in Vista/7, but Metro is like a whole 'nother OS.
    People since 95 etc, I've been using computers since the Commodore 64 and Amiga, Amstrad and Atari, I dont find Windows 8 that confusing. Probably what MS should have done is put a little video at the start and also a PDF, and maybe they will in June, I certainly hope so for their sake.
    I havent used Windows 7 on a tablet, but to be honest, I think it would be horrible, where Windows 8 will be very easy, maybe even easier than IOS.
    But I suppose if you hate it that much stick with what you know.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    It's not about hating it. They've reinvented a perfectly good wheel.

    IMO, the only thing Win7 lacks natively is a decent on screen keyboard, but any tablet manufacturer has that covered. Tap to click, right click - it all works just fine. I was playing around with the Acer Win7 tablet and was quite happy with the usability.

    It would have been fine if they took Win7 and gave it a tablet interface - just like Media Center gave Win7 a HTPC interface.

    My experience with various tablets is that the user is locked into a very specific interface. They're good for a select few things, but at the end of the day the PC is easier to use. I feel that all Metro does is force the user into a specific interface. It's almost as if a fully functional PC is being "locked down" to be used as a kiosk terminal or something.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Will Windows 8 Work Out For The Average PC User?
Related Threads
I get this issue starting at boot, and then lasting for about 30 minutes: 51234 It's highly annoying. Is there any way to fix this problem without having to buy a new HDD?
I have checked everywhere online, and I haven't found a single explanation for this. I have 3 user accounts. 1. Administrator 2. initial user 3. new user So the initial user is the one you are forced to create when first setting up Windows 8.1. It's a local user meaning that I set it up...
I have had windows 8.1 for quite some time now and never had any issues with my OS. Until recently, my OS disc use now shows 100% with writing speeds going up to 100mb/sec and average response times of my HD from 4000 to 8000ms... Nothing has changed on my side and I have it at a repair...
I need to add another standard user. I have one admin account and one standard user. After adding the second standard account name and password on Control Panel I get the confirmation that the new user can now sign in. However,I get this famous message that the profile service cannot open. ...
Alright guys, Windows update has been really messing with my pc lately. I ran update and when it installed the updates my integrated mouse ended up not working. I rolled back update and installed the updates one by one and the one I ended up not installing was the camera codec pack. Now the problem...
I performed an experiment with my wife last night, who I would qualify as a slightly above average computer user. She hasn't yet looked at Windows 8, and she isn't out reading about it, nor trolling forums to see how it works. I brought home a work laptop with Windows 8 installed on it. I...
Hi guys!, I know its a bit early yet and I'll have to wait quite a while but, I wanted to know what would the average cost of a Windows 8 Laptop be? Or just the cost of upgrading from Windows 7 to 8. Anyone will do, Because it gives me time to save up :D. Regards, Cheater
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook