Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Will Windows 8 Work Out For The Average PC User?

  1. #11


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    Oh dear here we go again !!!!

    I know the modern educational system in most countries appears to be regressing but people who buy and use computers aren't usually that ignorant in their basic use.

    Lets take 4 basic groups of people

    1) Youngsters / young teens .

    I think about 150% of this group all have at least ONE smart phone or access to one.

    If even 7 year olds can master the intricacies of an Iphone (or most other smart phones) without batting an eye lid W8 won't be a problem for them.

    2) First time users

    As this group hasn't previous experience with Windows it should be a relatively easy matter for them to use the new W8.
    This group hasn't got any previous experience - so nothing to "unlearn" and they won't be looking all over the place for stuff where they are used to finding it.

    3) The "Geeks". Now this is the group that seems to have the most difficulty using it themselves (and by inference they assume everybody else will have problems too). They are so used to doing everything with possibly loads of keyboard short cuts etc and other tricks that they will probably get frustrated and irritated rather than just sitting down for an hour or so and playing around with the system.

    4) "Average" Joe out there.

    Some will have problems some won't -- just like the current position. So long as a decent video is presented at initial install or first boot up time - remember those clips that you had with Windows XP and earlier --- "Explore Windows" or was it "Take a Windows Tour" people will soon get the hang of it.

    The key is in having a video AND MANUAL (video tutorials are fine but one often needs reference to a manual as well that you can peruse at your own pace -- You Tube users please note not everything works in "teaching mode" by making a You Tube video) .

    I really think the difficulty is grossly overblown -- people adapted to Windows 3.1 easily enough from DOS based systems and that was a MONUMENTAL difference in working.

    W8 will stand or fail on whether it's nice and fast on modern gear, can install even the most relcalcitrant of drivers easily and run as many as possible programs in compatability mode.

    These days people aren't going out to buy a new printer say just because a manufacturer can't be bothered to make sure their hardware still works with W8. Some will get round the problem by using Virtual Machines (the average joe out there actually knows more about these than one would suspect !!) while others will say well I'll just stick with W7 until I absolutely HAVE to upgrade.

    Incidentally there are still enough "Backports" for people still to load XP on to modern systems so W7 won't go away any time soon even if W8 comes pre-installed on newer gear.

    I think this product WILL be a success although we do need to stop the 35 km or so left scrolling to find an application.

    (And BTW t o Start menu lovers -- if you've got a lot of programs with a lot of sub menus and sub-sub menus and sub sub sub menus etc this gets impossibly unwieldy too and is HOPELESS on a computer with a small screen such as a 10 inch screen netbook).

    Cheers
    jimbo

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    [QUOTE=ssbtech;90499]It's not about hating it. They've reinvented a perfectly good wheel.


    It would have been fine if they took Win7 and gave it a tablet interface - just like Media Center gave Win7 a HTPC interface".

    You've just described Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    @jimbo, well said, I won't bother going over all your points, except to say that I think Windows 8 will be a success. Like you said, the people who are having the most trouble are the people ho have gotten themselves into a routine.

    I probably haven't had too much trouble because I have always used different OS's and PC's from the Commodore64,Amiga, Linux, DOS and Windows etc. Too be honest I'm getting bored with Windows 7, although its a very good OS. I'm really looking forward to see how Windows 8 will pan out and particularly the new Apps for Metro.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Pretty much can easily do anything I want on 8, but doesn't mean I like it. In fact, the opposite. The Start menu works ehh alright for me as an app launcher since I can use it quicker than 7, but anything else imho is nonsense. Apps in Metro, nonsense. Charms bar, waving magic wand nonsense...so on and so on. Charms bar pops up on my 100 times a day when I didn't want it nor need it. I play guitar and run sheet music apps...so sometimes I have to do things extremely quickly with Windows to keep up with the playing music...and instead Charms bar pops up to slow me down at the most inopportune times.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    You've just described Windows 8.
    Not really - they're forcing users into a full screen "start menu" which is more clutter than anything. They've made it so that the conventional "Explorer" shell is rarely used, and difficult to use when you get into it.

    As for Win7 on a tablet - I see absolutely nothing wrong with it if what you want is a slate PC with a full blown OS on it. If you want an iDroid like interface, then maybe Metro is your thing. If you want the full blown functionality of a Win7 PC, then it really isn't.

    Metro might be pretty if you want music, picture and fart apps tablets have become so useful for, but when you want to get some work done, Metro isn't your tool.

    My other fear is that when Win8 hits the shelves, there will be less incentive for OEMs to build tablets with active digitizers. I like the ASUS EP121 for the handwriting capabilities, but I don't really like the price.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by ssbtech View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    You've just described Windows 8.
    Not really - they're forcing users into a full screen "start menu" which is more clutter than anything. They've made it so that the conventional "Explorer" shell is rarely used, and difficult to use when you get into it.

    As for Win7 on a tablet - I see absolutely nothing wrong with it if what you want is a slate PC with a full blown OS on it. If you want an iDroid like interface, then maybe Metro is your thing. If you want the full blown functionality of a Win7 PC, then it really isn't.

    Metro might be pretty if you want music, picture and fart apps tablets have become so useful for, but when you want to get some work done, Metro isn't your tool.

    My other fear is that when Win8 hits the shelves, there will be less incentive for OEMs to build tablets with active digitizers. I like the ASUS EP121 for the handwriting capabilities, but I don't really like the price.
    I just had a look at that Asus its a pretty mean looking tablet, thats the beauty of Windows, the choice is mind boggling, where with Apple its my way or the highway. Unfortunalely something like that is really only suited to a limited number of people hence the high price.
    Hopefully Windows 8 and the new Intel chips will bring down prices as these machines become more popular and powerfull, unfortunately that wont be of any benefit to you if you dont like Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    It's really funny how guys that like W8 see it as their duty to defend W8.

    Defend away, what you just don't seem to grasp for some reason is that a huge bunch of people just don't like it. Not talking about functionality or anything like that. We just don't like it.

    Feel free to throw out the don't want to change foolishness, or whatever is the flavour this week.

    Outside of oem's using this on their systems I just see a massive flop for W8. I have always bought the new os as soon as it dropped. I have zero interest in this one, and quite frankly other than a few people on W8 forums I know NO ONE who likes it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by DooRules View Post
    It's really funny how guys that like W8 see it as their duty to defend W8.

    Defend away, what you just don't seem to grasp for some reason is that a huge bunch of people just don't like it. Not talking about functionality or anything like that. We just don't like it.

    Feel free to throw out the don't want to change foolishness, or whatever is the flavour this week.

    Outside of oem's using this on their systems I just see a massive flop for W8. I have always bought the new os as soon as it dropped. I have zero interest in this one, and quite frankly other than a few people on W8 forums I know NO ONE who likes it.
    I find it really funny how guys that dont like W8 assume that everyone else shouldnt like it either. Most of them use the same rhetoric as well, its just like Vista and ME, its going to be a massive flop, I'm pretty sure most of them wouldnt even know what Vista and ME are. As far as forums go, I go to quite a few independant forums and find that quite a few people really do like it.

    In my opinion its going to be a massive success, but people stuck in a routine are going to hold back, just like the people still on XP.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 207
    Windows 8.1 update 1 Pro X64 with WMC


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    Oh dear here we go again !!!!

    I know the modern educational system in most countries appears to be regressing but people who buy and use computers aren't usually that ignorant in their basic use.

    Lets take 4 basic groups of people

    1) Youngsters / young teens .

    I think about 150% of this group all have at least ONE smart phone or access to one.

    If even 7 year olds can master the intricacies of an Iphone (or most other smart phones) without batting an eye lid W8 won't be a problem for them.

    2) First time users

    As this group hasn't previous experience with Windows it should be a relatively easy matter for them to use the new W8.
    This group hasn't got any previous experience - so nothing to "unlearn" and they won't be looking all over the place for stuff where they are used to finding it.

    3) The "Geeks". Now this is the group that seems to have the most difficulty using it themselves (and by inference they assume everybody else will have problems too). They are so used to doing everything with possibly loads of keyboard short cuts etc and other tricks that they will probably get frustrated and irritated rather than just sitting down for an hour or so and playing around with the system.

    4) "Average" Joe out there.

    Some will have problems some won't -- just like the current position. So long as a decent video is presented at initial install or first boot up time - remember those clips that you had with Windows XP and earlier --- "Explore Windows" or was it "Take a Windows Tour" people will soon get the hang of it.

    The key is in having a video AND MANUAL (video tutorials are fine but one often needs reference to a manual as well that you can peruse at your own pace -- You Tube users please note not everything works in "teaching mode" by making a You Tube video) .

    I really think the difficulty is grossly overblown -- people adapted to Windows 3.1 easily enough from DOS based systems and that was a MONUMENTAL difference in working.

    W8 will stand or fail on whether it's nice and fast on modern gear, can install even the most relcalcitrant of drivers easily and run as many as possible programs in compatability mode.

    These days people aren't going out to buy a new printer say just because a manufacturer can't be bothered to make sure their hardware still works with W8. Some will get round the problem by using Virtual Machines (the average joe out there actually knows more about these than one would suspect !!) while others will say well I'll just stick with W7 until I absolutely HAVE to upgrade.

    Incidentally there are still enough "Backports" for people still to load XP on to modern systems so W7 won't go away any time soon even if W8 comes pre-installed on newer gear.

    I think this product WILL be a success although we do need to stop the 35 km or so left scrolling to find an application.

    (And BTW t o Start menu lovers -- if you've got a lot of programs with a lot of sub menus and sub-sub menus and sub sub sub menus etc this gets impossibly unwieldy too and is HOPELESS on a computer with a small screen such as a 10 inch screen netbook).

    Cheers
    jimbo
    well said Jimbo yes i think windows 8 will be a success
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DooRules View Post
    It's really funny how guys that like W8 see it as their duty to defend W8.

    Defend away, what you just don't seem to grasp for some reason is that a huge bunch of people just don't like it. Not talking about functionality or anything like that. We just don't like it.

    Feel free to throw out the don't want to change foolishness, or whatever is the flavour this week.

    Outside of oem's using this on their systems I just see a massive flop for W8. I have always bought the new os as soon as it dropped. I have zero interest in this one, and quite frankly other than a few people on W8 forums I know NO ONE who likes it.
    I find it really funny how guys that dont like W8 assume that everyone else shouldnt like it either. Most of them use the same rhetoric as well, its just like Vista and ME, its going to be a massive flop, I'm pretty sure most of them wouldnt even know what Vista and ME are. As far as forums go, I go to quite a few independant forums and find that quite a few people really do like it.

    In my opinion its going to be a massive success, but people stuck in a routine are going to hold back, just like the people still on XP.
    As it stands, and of course the results can flip easily with more time since there are only 10 votes now, but it is 9-1 in favor of Windows 8 being poor: https://www.eightforums.com/general-d...ssing-8-a.html

    I'm pretty sure I know what ME and Vista are.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Will Windows 8 Work Out For The Average PC User?
Related Threads
I get this issue starting at boot, and then lasting for about 30 minutes: 51234 It's highly annoying. Is there any way to fix this problem without having to buy a new HDD?
I have checked everywhere online, and I haven't found a single explanation for this. I have 3 user accounts. 1. Administrator 2. initial user 3. new user So the initial user is the one you are forced to create when first setting up Windows 8.1. It's a local user meaning that I set it up...
I have had windows 8.1 for quite some time now and never had any issues with my OS. Until recently, my OS disc use now shows 100% with writing speeds going up to 100mb/sec and average response times of my HD from 4000 to 8000ms... Nothing has changed on my side and I have it at a repair...
I need to add another standard user. I have one admin account and one standard user. After adding the second standard account name and password on Control Panel I get the confirmation that the new user can now sign in. However,I get this famous message that the profile service cannot open. ...
Alright guys, Windows update has been really messing with my pc lately. I ran update and when it installed the updates my integrated mouse ended up not working. I rolled back update and installed the updates one by one and the one I ended up not installing was the camera codec pack. Now the problem...
I performed an experiment with my wife last night, who I would qualify as a slightly above average computer user. She hasn't yet looked at Windows 8, and she isn't out reading about it, nor trolling forums to see how it works. I brought home a work laptop with Windows 8 installed on it. I...
Hi guys!, I know its a bit early yet and I'll have to wait quite a while but, I wanted to know what would the average cost of a Windows 8 Laptop be? Or just the cost of upgrading from Windows 7 to 8. Anyone will do, Because it gives me time to save up :D. Regards, Cheater
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook