Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft Should Cut Windows Media Center from Windows 8 - Ben Wade

  1. #11


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Leave WMC as it is for the few people that DO use it.

    But Microsoft is going to be announcing their new "Zune-like" media service. Hopefully, this might mean a new media player of sorts.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    One thing I can't stand is messing with and having to relearn a third party application when there is already a Windows version that works perfectly for me. Why change when there is no reason to change? I'm not looking for a replacement anyway. As for this mysterious App that replaces WMC, just like Windows 8 replacing Windows 7, why fix it if it's not broke.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    As for this mysterious App that replaces WMC
    I think if anyone is going to have an argument for WMC being replaced by something, that something should be an actuality and not some far off concept so potential users can decide if it is right or not for them.

    An analogy to these people: I want to replace your car. In the future, there will be Jetson-like personal air vehicles that we currently don't know how well they will work or not. So let me take away your car now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 740
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    As for this mysterious App that replaces WMC
    I think if anyone is going to have an argument for WMC being replaced by something, that something should be an actuality and not some far off concept so potential users can decide if it is right or not for them.

    An analogy to these people: I want to replace your car. In the future, there will be Jetson-like personal air vehicles that we currently don't know how well they will work or not. So let me take away your car now.
    technically Windows 8 isn't official yet and you're free to stay with 7 for a while, And there is XBMC (a Desktop mode application like WMC, but better) now, besides the Media Browser Foundation working on a Metro version.

    It's more like having new cars coming out just when you are ready to sell your old car.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    It's more like having new cars coming out just when you are ready to sell your old car.
    Ya, thanks. Don't need any car salesman pushing something that he doesn't even know what he is pushing yet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    It's more like having new cars coming out just when you are ready to sell your old car.
    Ya, thanks. Don't need any car salesman pushing something that he doesn't even know what he is pushing yet.
    You've just described Steve Jobs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 740
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    It's more like having new cars coming out just when you are ready to sell your old car.
    Ya, thanks. Don't need any car salesman pushing something that he doesn't even know what he is pushing yet.
    Just because you don't know anything about XBMC Doesn't mean that the salesperson doesn't. You can install it on your computer right now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    @icefire, I have been using XBMC for many years, it should be made compulsory for anyone owning a HTPC. Unfortunately it doesnt play Blu-Ray unless you convert it to MKV. It doesnt need a salesperson, it just needs to be put on your PC to see how good it is.

    But I still like WMC for music, but do me a favour Microsoft take it out of the OS, not enough people use it, I'll pay if I have to, but would rather see it as a free add on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Just because you don't know anything about XBMC Doesn't mean that the salesperson doesn't. You can install it on your computer right now.
    I never claimed anything for or against (nor implied) and don't doubt it's the goods. You're right though, I never have tried it ever.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    You've just described Steve Jobs.
    lol but only from a standpoint of not really knowing anything about him at all....so it's not an educated lol.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 1,353
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP


    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Just because you don't know anything about XBMC Doesn't mean that the salesperson doesn't. You can install it on your computer right now.
    I never claimed anything for or against (nor implied) and don't doubt it's the goods. You're right though, I never have tried it ever.

    Quote Originally Posted by BillWindows View Post
    You've just described Steve Jobs.
    lol but only from a standpoint of not really knowing anything about him at all....so it's not an educated lol.
    Read his book, its a good read, I dont like the guy and I really dislike Apple, but I did like the book. If you dont like him now you'll like him even less after reading the book.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Microsoft Should Cut Windows Media Center from Windows 8 - Ben Wade
Related Threads
Windows Media Center in General Support
(Or its equivalent.) Does it come with 8.1 or can it be ordered a la carte...say from Lenovo?
Solved Media Center Windows 8 Pro in Installation & Setup
I have windows 8 pro on my hp pavilion dv7. I wanted to put the free media center on it, but when I put my product key in, it states trouble processing. It was my understanding that this was a free upgrade when you purchased windows 8 pro. Any thoughts on how to put it in? Right now I am using vlc...
Is Windows 8 Pro with media center the same as Windows 8 Pro, but with Media Center. Sorry about the strange question. :(
Windows Media Center and HD in Software and Apps
I just moved my Hauppauge 2250 dual HD tuner to my Windows 8 box (with WMC) and after taking several hours to download the latest drivers from England (their US site is down due to Sandy) I have WMC set up to display tv... I had to (as I have before on Windows 7 installs) go through and enable...
I installed Windows 8, and now avi files look like poo when played through Windows Media Center on my PC or X-box. The same .avi file looks great when Windows Media Player is used though.... I was using Windows 7 before the "upgrade" and Media Center worked just fine on my PC and X-box. Example...
Windows Media Center in General Support
Before I install Windows 8 I would like to have the key code for Windows Media Center. I have been waiting for over 2 days for Microsoft to send me the key code. Do I have to have Windows 8 installed and activated before they will send me the key code?
Media Center will be in Windows 8, but not right away | ZDNet
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook