Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


MS puts a hard block on MSE because it is incompatible with Win8 CP.

  1. #1


    Tropical Island Pair a Dice
    Posts : 3,030
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64

    MS puts a hard block on MSE because it is incompatible with Win8 CP.


    Got this Windows update yesterday.

    KB2685194 - Application Compatibility release for Windows 8 Consumer Preview

    This update introduces a hard block on Microsoft Security Essentials. A hard block prevents an application that is incompatible with Windows 8 Consumer Preview from running on the computer. This hard block is being introduced because Microsoft Security Essentials is incompatible with Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    I though Windows Defender in 8, is MSE...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I though Windows Defender in 8, is MSE...
    It is. Microsoft is blocking the installation of traditional MSE because it's already part of the OS. Installing the download would have no use and/or conflict with the service already present.

    They're just making problems much more difficult to happen.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    I though Windows Defender in 8, is MSE...
    It is. Microsoft is blocking the installation of traditional MSE because it's already part of the OS. Installing the download would have no use and/or conflict with the service already present.

    They're just making problems much more difficult to happen.

    Indeed. It just surprises me that they've had to release a patch for something which should have been inherent in the OS. Maybe I expect too much...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    FWIW, before I knew that MSE = Defender, I advised someone to install MSE. This was over a week ago. They reported back that the OS would not let them. So they already had this covered - not sure why they issued this new block at all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 151
    Windows 8


    It just surprises me that they've had to release a patch for something which should have been inherent in the OS..
    It's not a complete OS.
    Last edited by DJC; 22 Mar 2012 at 09:08.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    Microsoft get more stupid everyday.....Not only peoples don't know where to go when they use Windows 8 the first time, now peoples don't know what to use as protection..... Windows Defender was first an anti-spyware protection, after MSE replace it and now Defender replace MSE, what other confusing stuff are they preparing for us at Redmond ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by area 66 View Post
    Microsoft get more stupid everyday.....Not only peoples don't know where to go when they use Windows 8 the first time, now peoples don't know what to use as protection..... Windows Defender was first an anti-spyware protection, after MSE replace it and now Defender replace MSE, what other confusing stuff are they preparing for us at Redmond ?
    Hi there

    Not sure what your point is -- W8 CP is NOT W7 so why SHOULD MSE work on it. It actually did on the Developer preview -- but to say MS is STUPID because people don't know what to use for protection just tells me that you shouldn't be using this OS in the first place if you don't understand what "Beta", "Preview" and even "Alpha" Software is.

    I think it's actually EXCELLENT if Ms incorporates security into the OS and saves the user from the hassle of uploading new definitions and running scans.

    After all you don't question what mechanism is used to read and write data to the file system do you or worry how the disk drives work.

    This is a TEST OS intended for reasonably knowelgable I.T people to use it -- It's not yet ready to be used in "Idiot Mode".

    Sorry for being blunt but people using this OS should know what they are doing and understand the limitations of "Test" Software.

    In fact I'm extremely surprised at how stable it is and have had no trouble running ANYTHING on it I've wanted to.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 1,308
    Windows 8 enterprise x64


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    This is a TEST OS intended for reasonably knowelgable I.T people to use it -- It's not yet ready to be used in "Idiot Mode".
    Sorry my friend this is not a test version for I.T. if so they will have it only on TechNet and MSCN type website....it's a general public preview, so it as to be idiot proof. I don't say they should use MSE on Windows 8 , I said Microsoft are confusing peoples. What you seems to not understand is that I'm not talking for myself, I'm thinking for the poor "idiot" as you call them.

    As for your IT thing, well I'm a real one since 30 years, and us real professional IT we really dislike Windows 8 for obvious reasons.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 5
    WIndows 8


    I don't consider myself a power user by any stretch of my imagination, I like things to work and even when windows xp came out, for most of my daily requirements, I was a happy Ubuntu user. Having said that, and ducking the usual oh oh, here we go, no doubt a windows flamer, I like playing my computer games and yes they require windows but for all other things such as surfing the net and checking my email as well as playing music I preferred Ubuntu.

    When I bought my last computer, it came preloaded with Windows 7 and once I uninstalled all the trial this and trial that, I thought hmmm, this isn't too bad. (I can hear all the people who swear by XP groaning now) For my antivirus I switched to MSE as it seemed to work as well as any commercial product on the market including the free one provided with this computer as it was nearing expiry anyways. When I installed Windows 8 consumers preview I did so as I had messed up my libraries to the point of where my backups wouldn't run without error this and can't find that and it was either reinstall Windows 7 or jump into the deep end and install WIndows 8. (Yes, sorry; it looks like I am writing a book)

    Imagine my surprise when it said that MSE is not compatible with 8. OK, no biggy, I let 8 do its thing and it installed. I checked the status of my computers security after it was installed and was surprised to see that an antivirus was in place and actively protecting my computer. I imagine that most users are not even going to install 8 until it becomes a commercial product and they either buy it and have their tech install it or they buy it already installed on their computer so worrying about whether MSE or defender is installed is not going to matter much to these people. The point is, it seems like a small issue, its like saying I bought an apple tree and the flowers are yellow instead of pink. (oops was that a Mac pun? Sowwy)
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
MS puts a hard block on MSE because it is incompatible with Win8 CP.
Related Threads
How do i repair a windows 8 OEM laptop with no access to windows 8. The only things i see is the bios menu when i push F2 and a black screen with the message, "No bootable device -- Please restart system" i change some settings in bios and the next message is "Missing Operating System." then it...
Hi, Thought Id share my experience here. Great piece of software here. MBRWizard Suite Products which is mbrwizard Recently on my win 8.1 config which consist of 2 120gb ssd (samsung 840 evos) non raid and 2 toshiba 1tb drives non raid (but ran raid zero on previous config before the ssd...
Solved Hard Drive test Win8 in Drivers & Hardware
Anybody know what is best software to test Hard Drives in Windows 8.I have a Hitachi i want to test it,its' a secondary hard disk.Hitachi has a site uses DFT but the bootable software does not work for me and it is listed in 2009.Same for Western Digital which is my primary HD with Windows 8 on...
The latest version of Real Player still seems to be incompatible with Windows 8. Every time I use it for any length of time it just breaks. Windows 8 It freezes, no information is to be seen on the page and also note the blue bar at the top of the screen instead of the selected system colour...
I installed Windows 8 Pro on my computer. I have a second hard drive that I keep all my files. When I was using Win7 and Win Xp, I had no issues but now the hard drive does not show up on my computer. Is there any reason why this is happening? Below are some screenshots , Any suggestion...
Incompatible Driver Issue in Drivers & Hardware
I am trying to update from Intel HD Graphics WDDM 1.1 to Intel HD Graphics WDDM 1.2. When I try to do it using device manager, it says it's not meant for my system (I'm on Windows 8 RTM). Is there a way to force install it? I am doing this in the hope of getting Minecraft to work.
Win8 Install on New Hard Drive in Installation & Setup
Today I installed a new hard drive on my laptop. The drive was unformated, thought Win8 would walk me through formatting. Instead it formatted the hard drive automatically, pleasant surprise.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook