Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


MS puts a hard block on MSE because it is incompatible with Win8 CP.

  1. #61


    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennc View Post
    Thanks Calico,
    I am going to guess it isn't a straight install??? Appreciate your informations!
    Glenn
    No major problems, but when you have installed CIS - it doesn't offer to reboot, but do so anyway - you'll probably get the Program Compatibility Assistant dialogue, just select 'Run the Program without getting' and tick the box for Don't show the message again.
    Calico,
    Thanksssss! I installed it, ran update and rebooted. Got an W8 error message and rebooted. It now seems to be running fine.\
    Extra problems, when I upgraded to NIS from Norton AV, I got a firewall. Well found out how disable it and let Comodo who for whatever reasons pop up in my mind, I think is a better firewall program. But NIS is also a antimalware program which is now running along with Comodo's antimalware stuff. Going to have to work on that.
    Greatly appreciated!!!
    Glenn

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #62

    MSE block


    From rummaging around the net, I have gleaned some information. In other W8 groups and Windows, I've found that MSE ran perfectly well on W8. It of course caused WD, which includes MSE to turn off. Apparently and I don't recall which two updates exactly did it, but the made it impossible to run MSE. By removing those updates, Windows 7 MSE install should come up and run fine. Since I have Norton killing WD, I am considering removing the MSE blocks and reinstalling it to run as a backup manual scanner. Any opinions?
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #63


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    Quote Originally Posted by glennc View Post
    From rummaging around the net, I have gleaned some information. In other W8 groups and Windows, I've found that MSE ran perfectly well on W8. It of course caused WD, which includes MSE to turn off. Apparently and I don't recall which two updates exactly did it, but the made it impossible to run MSE. By removing those updates, Windows 7 MSE install should come up and run fine. Since I have Norton killing WD, I am considering removing the MSE blocks and reinstalling it to run as a backup manual scanner. Any opinions?
    Glenn
    Windows Defender in Windows 8 is MSE, why would you want to replace one with the other?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #64


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    You might see if malwarebytes is the answer as a manual scanner.

    No idea if it runs on w8- haven't tried it yet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #65


    Posts : 1,851
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86


    If you have a router, manual scan anything you download from torrents with Malwarebytes, don't click on random hyperlinks in spam e-mails, keep your Windows updated and use No-Script in Firefox to only allow sites you trust to run code, your machine will never get any malware on it, which basically makes any antivirus at all pointless.

    That so, you could just leave Defender running for an extra sense of peace-of-mind.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #66


    Posts : 738
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional


    The MS SE seen for 7 includes WD in it. Either the SE was included with the CP or 8 has an improved malware detection process running in it. That would have to be a vast improvement for the WD for that to have caught a bug here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #67


    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennc View Post
    From rummaging around the net, I have gleaned some information. In other W8 groups and Windows, I've found that MSE ran perfectly well on W8. It of course caused WD, which includes MSE to turn off. Apparently and I don't recall which two updates exactly did it, but the made it impossible to run MSE. By removing those updates, Windows 7 MSE install should come up and run fine. Since I have Norton killing WD, I am considering removing the MSE blocks and reinstalling it to run as a backup manual scanner. Any opinions?
    Glenn
    Windows Defender in Windows 8 is MSE, why would you want to replace one with the other?
    Hey, the point is that since I will not be using MSE or preferably windows defender as my primary online protection, only as a standalone manual scanner, I found out you can do it with MSE. I don't know how to do it with the better WD.
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #68


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    You might see if malwarebytes is the answer as a manual scanner.

    No idea if it runs on w8- haven't tried it yet.
    Howdy and thanks, I have been running it since the first install. Use it on W7.
    Good idea, but I also wanted a manual AV scanner. I believe (IMHO) that malwarebytes may be better than WD, Comodo or NIS!
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #69


    Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    If you have a router, manual scan anything you download from torrents with Malwarebytes, don't click on random hyperlinks in spam e-mails, keep your Windows updated and use No-Script in Firefox to only allow sites you trust to run code, your machine will never get any malware on it, which basically makes any antivirus at all pointless.

    That so, you could just leave Defender running for an extra sense of peace-of-mind.
    Hello Gman,
    I use No-Script and then Ghostery that block the ones that I allow through no-script. So far so good. Paranoia is said to be the highest form of self preservations {:-))! Still like having the AV and firewalls as redundancy.
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #70


    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    The MS SE seen for 7 includes WD in it. Either the SE was included with the CP or 8 has an improved malware detection process running in it. That would have to be a vast improvement for the WD for that to have caught a bug here.
    Hello Night Hawk,
    That being true then I can definitely get the best of both worlds by deleting the updates that keep Windows 7 MSE from running and running it for a standalone manual scanner. I will investigate.
    Thanks
    Glenn
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
MS puts a hard block on MSE because it is incompatible with Win8 CP.
Related Threads
How do i repair a windows 8 OEM laptop with no access to windows 8. The only things i see is the bios menu when i push F2 and a black screen with the message, "No bootable device -- Please restart system" i change some settings in bios and the next message is "Missing Operating System." then it...
Hi, Thought Id share my experience here. Great piece of software here. MBRWizard Suite Products which is mbrwizard Recently on my win 8.1 config which consist of 2 120gb ssd (samsung 840 evos) non raid and 2 toshiba 1tb drives non raid (but ran raid zero on previous config before the ssd...
Solved Hard Drive test Win8 in Drivers & Hardware
Anybody know what is best software to test Hard Drives in Windows 8.I have a Hitachi i want to test it,its' a secondary hard disk.Hitachi has a site uses DFT but the bootable software does not work for me and it is listed in 2009.Same for Western Digital which is my primary HD with Windows 8 on...
The latest version of Real Player still seems to be incompatible with Windows 8. Every time I use it for any length of time it just breaks. Windows 8 It freezes, no information is to be seen on the page and also note the blue bar at the top of the screen instead of the selected system colour...
I installed Windows 8 Pro on my computer. I have a second hard drive that I keep all my files. When I was using Win7 and Win Xp, I had no issues but now the hard drive does not show up on my computer. Is there any reason why this is happening? Below are some screenshots , Any suggestion...
Incompatible Driver Issue in Drivers & Hardware
I am trying to update from Intel HD Graphics WDDM 1.1 to Intel HD Graphics WDDM 1.2. When I try to do it using device manager, it says it's not meant for my system (I'm on Windows 8 RTM). Is there a way to force install it? I am doing this in the hope of getting Minecraft to work.
Win8 Install on New Hard Drive in Installation & Setup
Today I installed a new hard drive on my laptop. The drive was unformated, thought Win8 would walk me through formatting. Instead it formatted the hard drive automatically, pleasant surprise.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook