Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8 Consumer Preview - One word: fail

  1. #11


    Quote Originally Posted by tcman50 View Post
    Article is complete crap, Consumer Preview is much faster and stable then previous editions. Also, if you don't like Metro than use desktop, what's the big problem. Also the dam thing isn't done, they have 7 more months before it is released, lighten up and get a life.
    Well said, if I said all that it would start an argument with someone but I'm glad you were able to pull it off.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by tcman50 View Post
    Article is complete crap, Consumer Preview is much faster and stable then previous editions. Also, if you don't like Metro than use desktop, what's the big problem. Also the dam thing isn't done, they have 7 more months before it is released, lighten up and get a life.
    True, wasted my time reading this useless article.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 228
    Black Label 7x64


    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tcman50 View Post
    Article is complete crap, Consumer Preview is much faster and stable then previous editions. Also, if you don't like Metro than use desktop, what's the big problem. Also the dam thing isn't done, they have 7 more months before it is released, lighten up and get a life.
    Well said, if I said all that it would start an argument with someone but I'm glad you were able to pull it off.
    Someone said something in a podcast linked somewhere here, but people like this are like Apple fanboys. Why do you Metro lovers care this much what other people think who disagree with you? Why are you so emotionally attached to a freaking OS? What was "pulled off" here was a nice bit of childish pouting. A lot of people genuinely do not like Metro. Maybe you're the ones who need to get over it, whatever "it" is eating you up like this. And I'm not trying to start a fight here, I'm just saying - seriously, lighten up - follow your own advice. You'll end up with a stroke before age 40.

    Is it too much to ask if we can discuss this rationally?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    I still can't understand how the Consumer Preview takes longer for him to boot than the DP. It's faster, and everything is much more stable than the DP. It acts betters and has better device support as well.
    The CP takes longer to boot, than the DP, on my PC.

    I've found the CP to be worse, than the DP:
    • Longer boot time (not that I care about boot time anyway)
    • No sound.
    • No "Start Menu".


    Things that are the same:

    • Can't change font types.
    • Can't adjust font size (not dpi setting).
    • Reduced RAM usage vs W7.
    • Good operating speed.
    The no sound, I'm assuming system sounds, wait until the Release Candidate. I've found four new sounds that are of metro, there will be sounds. And they will be of metro!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Here's an interesting thread about 'things' missing...

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...a-53134a0913f3
    Or maybe the things missing are missing because they're not fully completed.....

    The logon and off sound events aren't going to be gone. There will be a new sound scheme.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    My Bad


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The no sound, I'm assuming system sounds, wait until the Release Candidate. I've found four new sounds that are of metro, there will be sounds. And they will be of metro!
    I meant that it won't install my sound driver.
    W8 DP had no problems and it had sounds (maybe not the login/logoff ones).

    As for the other things, why weren't they just transfered across, like most of the standard W7 functions?
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 22 Mar 2012 at 23:53. Reason: Spelling
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    The no sound, I'm assuming system sounds, wait until the Release Candidate. I've found four new sounds that are of metro, there will be sounds. And they will be of metro!
    I meant that it won't install my sound driver.
    W8 DP had no problems and it had sounds (maybe not the login/logoff ones).

    As for the other things, why weren't they jsut transfered across like most of the standard W7 functions?
    Oh ok. That's weird. I would bet the other things weren't transferred probably because it's still in development. Keep in mind, this is a beta build, not a build that is threshold away from the final. I would imagine most if not all is transferred over.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 828
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate/Windows 8.1/Linux


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Calico View Post
    Here's an interesting thread about 'things' missing...

    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...a-53134a0913f3
    Or maybe the things missing are missing because they're not fully completed.....

    The logon and off sound events aren't going to be gone. There will be a new sound scheme.
    There again, the missing items may simply be a consequence of Microsofts continued 'dumbing down' the Operating System.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    It is possible that size is a consideration.

    They might be trimming things out to stop it being enormous.

    It is pretty big right now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Travis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tcman50 View Post
    Article is complete crap, Consumer Preview is much faster and stable then previous editions. Also, if you don't like Metro than use desktop, what's the big problem. Also the dam thing isn't done, they have 7 more months before it is released, lighten up and get a life.
    Well said, if I said all that it would start an argument with someone but I'm glad you were able to pull it off.
    Someone said something in a podcast linked somewhere here, but people like this are like Apple fanboys. Why do you Metro lovers care this much what other people think who disagree with you? Why are you so emotionally attached to a freaking OS? What was "pulled off" here was a nice bit of childish pouting. A lot of people genuinely do not like Metro. Maybe you're the ones who need to get over it, whatever "it" is eating you up like this. And I'm not trying to start a fight here, I'm just saying - seriously, lighten up - follow your own advice. You'll end up with a stroke before age 40.

    Is it too much to ask if we can discuss this rationally?
    Thanks for proving my point, I'll refrain from the condescending comments however.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows 8 Consumer Preview - One word: fail
Related Threads
This here is a thread to discuss what you'd like to see in the next phase of Windows 8. To start off, I would love better system personalization options to customize both Desktop and Start Screen. I'd want to see a commanding, consolidated PC Settings panel to change EVERY setting, both metro...
My sound used to work in the consumer preview fine but since I upgraded to the Release Preview I need the volume max and headphones in to hear anything. Any help appreciated. If more info is needed just ask.
Windows 8 Consumer Preview in General Support
I've been reading through some of the comments on here about how confusing and hard it is to navigate through Win dows 8. I understand its different to Windows 7 and even the Developer Preview, but without reading anything I managed to be able to find most things within about half an hour. Within 2...
Hi,can Win8 C.P. be installed without removing Win8 D.P. I guess not, but since until now my Revodrive 3 X2 gave me problems with the Win8 D.P. install, i hate to do a fresh try with the Consumer Preview. I would loose the Win8 is am using now. When starting the setup, hard drive is not...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook