Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 Update 2 to arrive through the Windows Store

  1. #21


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Even more good stuff, depending on how you look at it I guess.

    The Start Menu was originally set to arrive with Update 2, but then was pulled for unknown reasons. Microsoft could be saving it for Windows 9 to make it more appealing for the Chinese government, and for marketing reasons too.
    That was my impression as well, but according to this translation of Wzor's blog, there seems to be at least a revamped start button... also the fact that this update requires new keys lends itself to a new version ..ie. 8.2 rather than 8.1.2...

    also interesting that M$ are considering a disable option for Metro in Windows 9 Enterprise.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Hmm people are still gonns compain about the metro ui and say "windows 7 is better" just because of it..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Even more good stuff, depending on how you look at it I guess.

    The Start Menu was originally set to arrive with Update 2, but then was pulled for unknown reasons. Microsoft could be saving it for Windows 9 to make it more appealing for the Chinese government, and for marketing reasons too.
    That was my impression as well, but according to this translation of Wzor's blog, there seems to be at least a revamped start button... also the fact that this update requires new keys lends itself to a new version ..ie. 8.2 rather than 8.1.2...

    also interesting that M$ are considering a disable option for Metro in Windows 9 Enterprise.
    I was thinking that too, new keys, new kernel. New kernel, new OS. 8.2 sounds about right. This along with the 3 GB size makes me think upgrade not update. If it comes via the Windows Store that would also ,to me, indicate an upgrade not update. Time will tell though. As far as I can tell its all rumors anyway. I'm not calling anybody a liar, I'll just believe it when I see it is all.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    This part is interesting;

    Windows 8.1 Update 2 is almost finished according to WZOR, and that Microsoft are currently discussing the ways in which they could offer it to existing users. Update 2 will require new license keys, and will offer it to Windows 8.0 users for a small fee. The update will be free for Windows 8.1 Update 1 users of course. The alternative method for Windows 8.0 users would be to update to Windows 8.1 for free, and then to Update 1 and then to Update 2.

    EDIT: that very last part is going to suck (if true) for those with OEM 8.0 installs.
    Don't forget that Windows 8.1 'requires new keys' to clean install if you're starting from an 8.0 key - as per this thread, people use generic 8.1 install keys to get 8.1 installed initially, then activate with the 8.0 key.
    Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.

    So maybe it will be the same with 8.1 update 2?

    If I start from a 8.0 and upgrade in sequence, I'd still end up running 8.1 upd 2 on an 8.0 key, so I don't see why people wouldn't be able to arrive at the same endpoint using a clean install, as is done for 8.1 now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Even more good stuff, depending on how you look at it I guess.

    The Start Menu was originally set to arrive with Update 2, but then was pulled for unknown reasons. Microsoft could be saving it for Windows 9 to make it more appealing for the Chinese government, and for marketing reasons too.
    Prepare for more complaints about the metro ui..
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    This part is interesting;

    Windows 8.1 Update 2 is almost finished according to WZOR, and that Microsoft are currently discussing the ways in which they could offer it to existing users. Update 2 will require new license keys, and will offer it to Windows 8.0 users for a small fee. The update will be free for Windows 8.1 Update 1 users of course. The alternative method for Windows 8.0 users would be to update to Windows 8.1 for free, and then to Update 1 and then to Update 2.

    EDIT: that very last part is going to suck (if true) for those with OEM 8.0 installs.
    Don't forget that Windows 8.1 'requires new keys' to clean install if you're starting from an 8.0 key - as per this thread, people use generic 8.1 install keys to get 8.1 installed initially, then activate with the 8.0 key.
    Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.

    So maybe it will be the same with 8.1 update 2?

    If I start from a 8.0 and upgrade in sequence, I'd still end up running 8.1 upd 2 on an 8.0 key, so I don't see why people wouldn't be able to arrive at the same endpoint using a clean install, as is done for 8.1 now.
    I'm well aware of that fact and that thread. It will all hinge on what keys are accepted for activation of a clean install of 8.1 with update 2. We'll just have to wait and see what they decide to do.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    Covington, La
    Posts : 1,184
    Windows 7 HP 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center 64BIT


    Quotes from WZOR article.

    It is known that all distributions will get Update 2 which will be delivered similarly as Windows 8.1 Update 1. Windows 8.1 Update 2 will be free for Windows 8.1 Update 1 users but users running Windows 8 will need new keys if they’ll try to do a clean install. Those who will buy computers preloaded with Windows 8.1 Update 2 is expected to get substantial discount when upgrading to Windows 9. It even may be free.
    Those who are running Windows 8.0 will have two options. The first option is to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Update 1 for free and then do upgrade to Windows 8.1 Update 2. The second option is to purchase Windows 8.1 Update 2 from Windows Store.
    3 GB is size of a full Windows 8.1 Update 2 x86 or x64 distribution, not a size of the update.
    Jim
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Quotes from WZOR article.

    It is known that all distributions will get Update 2 which will be delivered similarly as Windows 8.1 Update 1. Windows 8.1 Update 2 will be free for Windows 8.1 Update 1 users but users running Windows 8 will need new keys if they’ll try to do a clean install. Those who will buy computers preloaded with Windows 8.1 Update 2 is expected to get substantial discount when upgrading to Windows 9. It even may be free.
    Those who are running Windows 8.0 will have two options. The first option is to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Update 1 for free and then do upgrade to Windows 8.1 Update 2. The second option is to purchase Windows 8.1 Update 2 from Windows Store.
    3 GB is size of a full Windows 8.1 Update 2 x86 or x64 distribution, not a size of the update.
    Jim
    That 3 GB must be a gestamate? The current Windows 8.1 with update 1 x64 ISO is 3.83 GB now? And the 32 bit ISO is 2.86 GB.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Microsoft is currently in the process of developing two new iterations of Windows, one as an update for the already available Windows 8.1 Update and another as a whole new release. Windows 8.1 Update 2 is set to launch in August/September of this year, and Windows 9 is said to be launching next year in 2015.
    Leaks regarding both iterations of Windows have been scarce thus far, and same goes today as only a smallt tidbit of more information has leaked. Whilst we still don't know what's in Windows 8.1 Update 2, we do have an understanding as to it's size and pricing.
    We recently reported that Windows 8.1 Update 2 would be 3GB, whilst that's correct, the update itself won't actually be 3GB. Update 1 was around 700MB, and that should be the same for Update 2. Of course, the 3GB references the full release of Windows 8.1 Update 2. Much like Update 1, Microsoft will release ISO's with Update 2 slip streamed.
    Windows 8.1 Update 2 is almost finished according to WZOR, and that Microsoft are currently discussing the ways in which they could offer it to existing users. Update 2 will require new license keys, and will offer it to Windows 8.0 users for a small fee. The update will be free for Windows 8.1 Update 1 users of course. The alternative method for Windows 8.0 users would be to update to Windows 8.1 for free, and then to Update 1 and then to Update 2.
    Users who purchase PC's with Windows 8.1 Update 2 may also receive a discount (and maybe even free) when upgrading to Windows 9.
    Source: More tidbits of Windows 8.1 Update 2 and Windows 9 information leaks | WinBeta

    Just to keep the circular tradition !

    Last edited by vrosa; 21 Jun 2014 at 12:31.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Seems like everybody is quoting everybody and it all goes in circles and M$ keeps mum, just tantalizing with "leaked" tidbits and so keeps everybody's attention on them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Windows 8.1 Update 2 to arrive through the Windows Store
Related Threads
Windows 8.1 update ISO without the store in Windows Updates & Activation
Hey guys I was wondering if I can update my windows 8 which came pre-installed to 8.1 without going to the store and waiting for it to be downloaded. Is there any ISO online where I can readily download the image and update it? Its a HP laptop.
Hi All Newbie to the forum but not windows. History: Went to install Windows 8.1 update last night. I first installed 8 updates (half of which were Office based) and then rebooted. I then ran the 8.1 update on its own - downloaded and installed without a hitch. Rebooted and all was...
Why don't I get a Windows 8.1 Update in store? in Windows Updates & Activation
Okay now, today is October 18th and I've not got a Windows 8.1 update in store yet. I've Installed all the updates that were available for windows, restarted my PC several times but I still don't get it. What could be the reason and how do I get it?
More...
Read more at: Windows 8 to arrive by late October, Microsoft says | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook