Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


No Microsoft Start Menu for Windows 8 until 2015: Sources

  1. #111


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Welcome to Windows Eight Forums, livingenzyme.

    Having worked building for a career, I know exactly what you mean. Very well put!
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying metro is flawless. Take the touch keyboard for example. It covers most of the screen, making it impossible to work with out in the field. Whoever designed the win8/rt keyboard has no concept of computing on his feet. Here is a screenshot of what I mean.

    Attachment 44883

    See how the keyboard covered up most of the screen including my autocomplete suggestions?

    I've written a code to disable the virtual keyboard and added one that I designed.

    Attachment 44884

    It's movable and resizable.

    Attachment 44885

    Why in the world did MS not allow devs to build custom keyboards? I had to write a hack to achieve this. It's like MS used a braindead person to design the virtual keyboard.
    Hi there

    On my system the keyboard is fine -- I'm using a 14 inch screen with touch -- seems quite manageable. keyboard is moveable too.

    After your inspector has filled in a few lines simply move the keyboard to the TOP of the screen -- not very difficult.

    I agree though it should be reasonably re-sizeable -- send your suggestion to Ms - you *might* get a reward !!!.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    14" is too big. Our field tests so far show that 8'' is best.

    I've already bitched directly to MS. It's a company made up entirely of desk jockeys. Doubtful they cared about this peon.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #112


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there

    Y'ep for field stuff 8 ins is about right -- wonder though if a touch pen might be possible -- although that's something else that can easily get lost in the field - for example when going to say a faulty H/V electricity Pylon in the middle of nowhere.

    Another possibility is to have all drop down items on the inspection form - but sometimes the observations made by an inspector out in the field won't always fit into "pre-canned" selections. Another design possibility is for the FORM to accept input from a Mobile phone acting as an external keyboard - here again you would need at least phone coverage at the remote site.

    As a "REAL" Engineer myself I often get the feeling that people designing applications for mobile devices to be used out in the field have never either USED one of these devices or never set foot outside their lab or office.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #113


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
    Every field engineer, foreman, and laborer I know and know off use desktop computers. It doesn't mean they can use the PC for their field work.

    You are creating a false dilemma. You're trying to pass the false assumption that either people use desktop computers or they are field, outdoor workers. I'm not 5.
    No, I'm not creating anything. I'm merely challenging a statement that you made, nothing more. No biggie really.
    Look at it this way. In a hospital, who do you think make up most of the personnel? Doctors, nurses, and others who move around or administrators, help desk people, and others who sit at a desk all day?

    In the construction industry, it takes 3 engineers and may be 4 drafters to design. It takes a dozen or more field engineers, half a dozen surveyors, and 100 or more laborers and operators for a $700 million project. I don't know why you would think that our economy and infrastructure can be maintained mostly by people who sit at a desk all day. We often get young engineers who's dream is to sit at a desk all day. Most of them would beg to transfer out to the field in a couple years.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #114


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there

    Y'ep for field stuff 8 ins is about right -- wonder though if a touch pen might be possible -- although that's something else that can easily get lost in the field - for example when going to say a faulty H/V electricity Pylon in the middle of nowhere.

    Another possibility is to have all drop down items on the inspection form - but sometimes the observations made by an inspector out in the field won't always fit into "pre-canned" selections. Another design possibility is for the FORM to accept input from a Mobile phone acting as an external keyboard - here again you would need at least phone coverage at the remote site.

    As a "REAL" Engineer myself I often get the feeling that people designing applications for mobile devices to be used out in the field have never either USED one of these devices or never set foot outside their lab or office.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Bluetooth connection... I'm stealing this idea.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #115


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
    Every field engineer, foreman, and laborer I know and know off use desktop computers. It doesn't mean they can use the PC for their field work.

    You are creating a false dilemma. You're trying to pass the false assumption that either people use desktop computers or they are field, outdoor workers. I'm not 5.
    No, I'm not creating anything. I'm merely challenging a statement that you made, nothing more. No biggie really.
    Look at it this way. In a hospital, who do you think make up most of the personnel? Doctors, nurses, and others who move around or administrators, help desk people, and others who sit at a desk all day?

    In the construction industry, it takes 3 engineers and may be 4 drafters to design. It takes a dozen or more field engineers, half a dozen surveyors, and 100 or more laborers and operators for a $700 million project. I don't know why you would think that our economy and infrastructure can be maintained mostly by people who sit at a desk all day. We often get young engineers who's dream is to sit at a desk all day. Most of them would beg to transfer out to the field in a couple years.
    Hi there

    100% to that !!!

    I HATED it when I was stuck in an office -- couldn't wait to get my next field gig.

    Modern open plan offices are a TOTAL abomination - especially in these days of total lack of consideration for other people when using mobile phones. Something about a Mobile phone just seems to switch off any idea of manners or consideration for others -- I'm sure you knoiw what I mean -- loud ring tones, annoying email notification beeps every few seconds, click noises when texting and when answering / making calls using voices so loud that even an old Drill Sgt in the Army would be proud of.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #116


    Don't those tablets have a place for a lock cable, can tie a touch pen to it, that's what i do with smart phone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #117


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Don't those tablets have a place for a lock cable, can tie a touch pen to it, that's what i do with smart phone.
    Hi there

    Out in the field - especially if the weather is bad / very windy (Iceland gets very windy !!) the last thing you want to do is fiddle around with lock cables -- and the keys are usually tiny as well -- another very losable item. Remember also if it's cold and wet you might be wearing gloves in any case so even more fiddly to mess around with a lock cable..

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #118


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Don't those tablets have a place for a lock cable, can tie a touch pen to it, that's what i do with smart phone.
    Too cumbersome. Already field tested it. Before we field test these concepts, they seem perfectly convenient and cool on paper. It's only after field tests that most of these ideas are trash. This is why most people in the industry still use pen and paper, inefficient as they may be.


    Also, there are anti-tech oldies that haven't died off of old age yet. They hate it that we use tech at all. This is why everything I design in my software has to be dummified. If it takes these oldies more than 2 seconds to figure out how to do something, they reject it out right. Hence, why my app syncs in real time all data input across all devices.

    Edit.

    I've been putting a contraption together for a person to wear an 8" tablet on his left arm so he can be hands free. Think buzz light year.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #119


    You guys, you have it relatively easy nowadays, Smart phones, tablets big and small, laptops, netbooks, kindles and all kinds of goodies and you are complaining about menus on them. !!! My work consisted of office, factory and field work that took me from Toronto to Baffin island, Vancouver, Montreal, Detroit, St Louis, Memphis and Laredo, everywhere our corporation had plants and many places in between where we had customers or suppliers, The best help I could have was an IBM 8086 portable that weighed more than 20 pounds. Tried a Newton at one time but it was no help at all. Only last couple of working years I got a Toshiba 286 laptop but by that time I was stuck at two factories only and had a PC at each one and connected by a real slow DSL. By that time I collected a suitcase of floppy disks to lug around too.
    So, to me at least, fight about measly menu makes very little sense.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #120


    Posts : 91
    windows 7 & 8


    Yawn... can't we put this topic to bed?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
No Microsoft Start Menu for Windows 8 until 2015: Sources
Related Threads
Feb 10, 2015 Microsoft Updates in Windows Updates & Activation
Hi, I would just like to know if you encountered any issues after installing these updates. Thanks :) 57873
Read more...
Read more at: Microsoft is bringing the Start Menu back | The Verge
I'll believe it when I see it. Microsoft may finally bring back full Start menu with Windows 8.2 "The most important change, as Thurrott hears it, is that Microsoft will finally be bringing back the full Start menu to the Windows 8.2 desktop mode. Unlike the current Start button that...
Read more at: Microsoft still open sources more technologies than many think | ZDNet
An elderly relative of mine recently got a new laptop with Windows 8. I had suggested she get one with Windows 7 as she has been using XP for about 8 years. But with various hardware requirements she ended up getting a laptop with Windows 8. Well, getting her accustomed to Windows 8 was a real...
There is now speculation that the Start Menu will return: Will Microsoft restore Start Menu to Windows 8? With Sinofsky out, everything is now possible, Microsoft already step back on the fact that Directx 11.1 will not only run on Windows8 , but on 7 too , this is a major step back. ...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook