Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft Surface Pro 3 announcement

  1. #41


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    I cannot imagine any sane person paying that much money for a tablet... essentially little more than a toy.

    For that kind of money a full on laptop is the only logical way to go.

    Imho, of course...
    How does this really differ from a "full laptop"? It's got i3,i5 and i7. It has 4GB and 8GB of RAM (The only thing better might be 16GB), it has options for 128/256/512GB SSD's, it has USB 3.0, via it's dock it has Ethernet and secondary monitor support, it's running a full blown version of Windows 8.1, it has a 12.1" screen at 2160x1440 resolution...and lots of people using 13" laptops with less resolution...so the loss of 1" of screen space is not the end of the world. It has micro-SD and Micro-HDMI and it has all day battery life.

    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    A few of you are surprising me with your interest in this thing, but a true and blue fanboi? We'll have to see on that one.
    I'm in a holding pattern. I would love a device that worked great for handwritten notes. It's one thing that has always lacked when I take a laptop into a meeting. I usually end up taking a picture of the whiteboard with my phone. With the dock, this thing has a chance of being a great work device for me with notetaking ability. Still unsure if the using it at home in the chair or on the arm of the couch will be workable enough to justify a purchase.


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    This Lumia was my last Christmas present to myself. A SP3 may just be my next.
    Yeah, I purchased a MacBook Pro as my latest tech gift to myself a few months ago for my home personal use. It's been a very interesting learning experience. I'm not an Apple fanboy, and I'm not going 100% Apple anytime soon, but i have no regrets with my purchase. For what I do with it, it's been a great device.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    Posts : 86
    Windows 8.1 Pro & OS X Mavericks


    As much as I hear that people will be getting the Surface Pro 3, it will never sell good in the end. People said they will buy Surface Pro 2, never sold well even though there was a lot of advertisements around the city. I just think that in general Microsoft has a bad reputation which is probably the reason. I mean almost everyone had a Macbook at that keynote lol. That's free advertising for Apple. The concept is good, I give props to Microsoft for trying to distant itself. But I still don't see why I should buy it. I have a Macbook that I do powerpoint presentations, writing documents, looking at eBooks etc. I also have an iPhone that I use to take pictures, use Internet, text, listen to music, play GTA lol and etc. I carry two devices basically. The Surface Pro 3 doesn't replace the phone so you still carry two devices.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I agree that it's not ideal, but for me when i'm on the sofa though, i'm not working, i'm browsing. If i need to bang out a forum post, the onscreen keyboard is sufficient. Especially the split keyboard in either landscape or portrait.

    The keyboard aspect is the least important to me. I need ultra portability and one handed use.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post
    I agree that it's not ideal, but for me when i'm on the sofa though, i'm not working, i'm browsing. If i need to bang out a forum post, the onscreen keyboard is sufficient. Especially the split keyboard in either landscape or portrait.
    Well, you are a better man than I. I don't deal with the onscreen keyboards at all, even on my phone I dislike it. Always liked my Droid 2 with physical keyboard. I'm always on a forum hammering out a post, and typing is so much easier on a real keyboard without having to access submenus for symbols and the like.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Maybe MS or some third party will come out with a keyboard attachment like that of the T100 so they can answer a lot of those that need sturdy hinged type keyboard.

    That would quiet all the complaints.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post

    How does this really differ from a "full laptop"? It's got i3,i5 and i7. It has 4GB and 8GB of RAM (The only thing better might be 16GB), it has options for 128/256/512GB SSD's, it has USB 3.0, via it's dock it has Ethernet and secondary monitor support, it's running a full blown version of Windows 8.1, it has a 12.1" screen at 2160x1440 resolution...and lots of people using 13" laptops with less resolution...so the loss of 1" of screen space is not the end of the world. It has micro-SD and Micro-HDMI and it has all day battery life.
    Hehehe.... don't get me wrong, if somebody gave me one, I would likely use it on occasion. That said, regardless of who made it, or what os was on it, I would find even the lowest priced one too expensive for a tablet. I think for me, it's likely the form factor itself, more than anything else. I find it hard to take a tablet seriously.

    Your mileage may vary...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post

    How does this really differ from a "full laptop"? It's got i3,i5 and i7. It has 4GB and 8GB of RAM (The only thing better might be 16GB), it has options for 128/256/512GB SSD's, it has USB 3.0, via it's dock it has Ethernet and secondary monitor support, it's running a full blown version of Windows 8.1, it has a 12.1" screen at 2160x1440 resolution...and lots of people using 13" laptops with less resolution...so the loss of 1" of screen space is not the end of the world. It has micro-SD and Micro-HDMI and it has all day battery life.
    Hehehe.... don't get me wrong, if somebody gave me one, I would likely use it on occasion. That said, regardless of who made it, or what os was on it, I would find even the lowest priced one too expensive for a tablet. I think for me, it's likely the form factor itself, more than anything else. I find it hard to take a tablet seriously.

    Your mileage may vary...
    What if they called it a mini-ultrabook? I think you are getting hung up on the terminology. I could not bring myself to spend $1,000 on an iPad Tablet, or $1,000 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro Android Tablet as they are tablets running tablet/mobile OS's.

    The Surface Pro 3 is a full blown Windows PC in an ultrasmall form factor. It's WIndows 8.1, its a legit 128/256/512GB SSD, it's a Core i3/i5/i7 CPU, it's touchscreen. Aside from a few less ports, it's about the same hardware in my Dell e6430u Ultrabook and my MacBook Pro...both costing around the same amount. Obviously, with some laptops (like my e6430u) ,I can take it apart and replace and repair on my own, but on other devices like the Dell XPS laptops and the MacBook Pro they are far less designed to be end user serviceable. I don't see the Surface Pro 3 as being very serviceable.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Posts : 203
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    The upcoming Asus T200 with Bay Trail looks like a better deal to me unless you somehow like the new 3:2 aspect ratio of the Surface 3, need the power of a i3/i5/i7 plus 4GB ram on a 12" Windows tablet/laptop or just like Microsoft's products.

    I see no reason to pay that much for a Windows 8 tablet by Microsoft, better off waiting till Black Friday 2014 comes for Surface 2 blowout prices if you really want a Surface unless of course somehow World War 3 happens...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post

    What if they called it a mini-ultrabook?
    They could call it moonpie kookaboora, I don't see how that would change anything.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    ^ I only mentioned the mini-ultrabook because people keep throwing around the thoughts of
    #1). Tablets are toys
    #2). It's too expensive for a tablet
    #3). I'd rather have a laptop, (real computer), over a tablet.

    But these are full fledged computers in a very small form factor that is completely portable. Sure, they aren't desktop computers with expandability but then neither are laptops...especially modern day ultrabooks that are becoming less and less user serviceable.

    The Generation 1 Surface Pro that I have, 128GB was purchased in August of 2013, so less than i year ago. It was $999, and with the $129.00 type cover, it came out to 1,196.73 with tax. So, I don't see the price as being ridiculous compared to the previous generations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nemix View Post
    The upcoming Asus T200 with Bay Trail looks like a better deal to me unless you somehow like the new 3:2 aspect ratio of the Surface 3, need the power of a i3/i5/i7 plus 4GB ram on a 12" Windows tablet/laptop or just like Microsoft's products.
    From what I have read, the T200 is going to be in the $500-$700 range, and will be a rather low performance Bay Trail budget CPU, with 2GB of RAM, with 64GB of slow storage. I don't see that being a great deal. A coworker of mine bought a lower end Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet and it SOOOOOOOO SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW compared to my Surface Pro that it's not enjoyable to use in the least.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 announcement
Related Threads
Microsoft Surface Pro. in Chillout Room
Well I bought a new Surface Pro about three weeks ago. Just love it, everything I wanted and more. Dog got in front of me today, ended up falling over him and my new Surface Pro ended in pieces all over the floor. Well, I just went out and bought another one and hopefully it won't get broke like...
Microsoft Surface wallpaper in Customization
just got myself a Surface RT almost a week ago and of course some of you can guess I started making wallpapers for it....of course, so here is a little preview :p waddya guys think?
Microsoft's Surface Pro 'is not there yet,' says IDC | Microsoft - CNET News
Read more at source: Microsoft Surface Pro to have half the Surface RT's battery life | ZDNet
Read more at source: Here comes Microsoft Surface Pro, 64 bits and all | Microsoft - CNET News
Source A Guy
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook