Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft Surface Pro 3 announcement

  1. #131


    Posts : 53
    Windows 7/8


    Sorry, but I just don't buy it. I know the specs, they are great, except for a 12 inch screen. As I said in mine previous post, a moped with a 700cc engine. Also, there are plenty of notebooks and desktops, including all in ones, that rock the specs for less money. Maybe I'm wrong and the high end crowd will thing this is the best things since popcorn, I hope so. Even so I wouldn't pay that price point, plus a 23 inch monitor to connect it to, and plan on taking a 12 inch tablet with me anywhere. It's why I have a 23 inch all in one from HP for home. I would reach for my 8 inch tablet I use today for the road. Yea it's an android, but for the money the Samsung is a great tablet. Supports Bluetooth keyboards and mice, I have access to OneDrive still, and I can swap my Micro-HD out of my camera and into the tablet to upload photos/video to OneDrive, or wherever. For the 2000 bucks of the Surface I can get an alienware laptop. As for the specs overall. 512GB SSDs can now be had for around 250 bucks (Samsung), RAM is just plain cheap, I7 Processors do depend on version. Of course, there is the advantage of some dude trying to sit with his legs together so he can try and type with it using the keyboard and kick stand, classic.(Honestly, worst demo ever. All I could think was, dude, you have no balls.)

    Sorry for all the Surface 3 hate. I'm just amazed Microsoft doesn't try to put out some main stream, as in less expensive hardware. I've owned two previous surface machines. They are good quality, but in the end I returned them because I felt like, for the money, I could do better. At least unlike Apple, nobody has to buy a Surface to use Windows.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #132


    Cross Plains
    Posts : 255
    Windows 10 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Sorry, but I just don't buy it. I know the specs, they are great, except for a 12 inch screen. As I said in mine previous post, a moped with a 700cc engine. Also, there are plenty of notebooks and desktops, including all in ones, that rock the specs for less money. Maybe I'm wrong and the high end crowd will thing this is the best things since popcorn, I hope so. Even so I wouldn't pay that price point, plus a 23 inch monitor to connect it to, and plan on taking a 12 inch tablet with me anywhere. It's why I have a 23 inch all in one from HP for home. I would reach for my 8 inch tablet I use today for the road. Yea it's an android, but for the money the Samsung is a great tablet. Supports Bluetooth keyboards and mice, I have access to OneDrive still, and I can swap my Micro-HD out of my camera and into the tablet to upload photos/video to OneDrive, or wherever. For the 2000 bucks of the Surface I can get an alienware laptop. As for the specs overall. 512GB SSDs can now be had for around 250 bucks (Samsung), RAM is just plain cheap, I7 Processors do depend on version. Of course, there is the advantage of some dude trying to sit with his legs together so he can try and type with it using the keyboard and kick stand, classic.(Honestly, worst demo ever. All I could think was, dude, you have no balls.)

    Sorry for all the Surface 3 hate. I'm just amazed Microsoft doesn't try to put out some main stream, as in less expensive hardware. I've owned two previous surface machines. They are good quality, but in the end I returned them because I felt like, for the money, I could do better. At least unlike Apple, nobody has to buy a Surface to use Windows.
    Point nicely made.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #133


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Attachment 44789

    I paid less than that for my car!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #134


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I don't understand why people complain about price. There are tons of devices out there. Get what you want.

    Are you going to go to Range Rover and complain about their prices vs. a Kia SUV? No one is forcing anyone to buy anything. It's an option. And for me, it's absolutely the lightest and fastest ultrabook there is.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #135


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Not complaining, just astonished!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #136


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by ArazelEternal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Sorry, but I just don't buy it. I know the specs, they are great, except for a 12 inch screen. As I said in mine previous post, a moped with a 700cc engine. Also, there are plenty of notebooks and desktops, including all in ones, that rock the specs for less money. Maybe I'm wrong and the high end crowd will thing this is the best things since popcorn, I hope so. Even so I wouldn't pay that price point, plus a 23 inch monitor to connect it to, and plan on taking a 12 inch tablet with me anywhere. It's why I have a 23 inch all in one from HP for home. I would reach for my 8 inch tablet I use today for the road. Yea it's an android, but for the money the Samsung is a great tablet. Supports Bluetooth keyboards and mice, I have access to OneDrive still, and I can swap my Micro-HD out of my camera and into the tablet to upload photos/video to OneDrive, or wherever. For the 2000 bucks of the Surface I can get an alienware laptop. As for the specs overall. 512GB SSDs can now be had for around 250 bucks (Samsung), RAM is just plain cheap, I7 Processors do depend on version. Of course, there is the advantage of some dude trying to sit with his legs together so he can try and type with it using the keyboard and kick stand, classic.(Honestly, worst demo ever. All I could think was, dude, you have no balls.)

    Sorry for all the Surface 3 hate. I'm just amazed Microsoft doesn't try to put out some main stream, as in less expensive hardware. I've owned two previous surface machines. They are good quality, but in the end I returned them because I felt like, for the money, I could do better. At least unlike Apple, nobody has to buy a Surface to use Windows.
    Point nicely made.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Sorry, but I just don't buy it. I know the specs, they are great, except for a 12 inch screen. As I said in mine previous post, a moped with a 700cc engine. Also, there are plenty of notebooks and desktops, including all in ones, that rock the specs for less money. Maybe I'm wrong and the high end crowd will thing this is the best things since popcorn, I hope so. Even so I wouldn't pay that price point, plus a 23 inch monitor to connect it to, and plan on taking a 12 inch tablet with me anywhere. It's why I have a 23 inch all in one from HP for home. I would reach for my 8 inch tablet I use today for the road. Yea it's an android, but for the money the Samsung is a great tablet. Supports Bluetooth keyboards and mice, I have access to OneDrive still, and I can swap my Micro-HD out of my camera and into the tablet to upload photos/video to OneDrive, or wherever. For the 2000 bucks of the Surface I can get an alienware laptop. As for the specs overall. 512GB SSDs can now be had for around 250 bucks (Samsung), RAM is just plain cheap, I7 Processors do depend on version. Of course, there is the advantage of some dude trying to sit with his legs together so he can try and type with it using the keyboard and kick stand, classic.(Honestly, worst demo ever. All I could think was, dude, you have no balls.)

    Sorry for all the Surface 3 hate. I'm just amazed Microsoft doesn't try to put out some main stream, as in less expensive hardware. I've owned two previous surface machines. They are good quality, but in the end I returned them because I felt like, for the money, I could do better. At least unlike Apple, nobody has to buy a Surface to use Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Attachment 44789

    I paid less than that for my car!!!

    Please show me a lesser priced device with same processor, ram, storage, features, under 2lbs. for less cost.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #137


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post
    Please show me a lesser priced device with same processor, ram, storage, features, under 2lbs. for less cost.
    I can't!
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one but my gf won't let me!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #138


    Somewhere in USA
    Posts : 233
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there.

    There doesn't seem to be any reason from the spec as to why one couldn't install Linux or any other OS running on an INTEL platform if you want to.

    The OS isn't as a lot of people seem to think hard wired into the BIOS but boots from the internal SSD. The only problem *might* be if the tablet BIOS won't allow protected boot to be disabled -- which I don't think it would -- if you couldn't disable protected boot it would mean you couldn't boot stand alone backup programs etc.

    So the "being forced into the "Windows eco system" is no more valid for this device as it is for any other Intel based PC.

    Prices IMO are also no worse (or actually slightly better) than APPLE's for this type of hardware -- and you always pay a premium for ultra miniaturisation / portability.

    Remember also the target market is aimed at working Pros rather than casual home users / hobbyists. A lot of working pros will have equipment provided for them by their workplace / or at least some part of it will be subsidized plus of course you can get some tax relief also on capital allowances etc if you are running a business / free lance consultant.

    That's not to say that we would PREFER cheaper prices -- I could say the same about Real estate, Ferrari's, and a whole host of other things. If the device doesn't sell at the price point then discounts might be available but from what I can see a lot of my colleagues (most of whom have NEVER considered a tablet) are certainly looking with interest at this device.


    Cheers
    jimbo
    My only problem with your logic is that Microsoft is selling the Surface 3 as a laptop replacement, when it is sized more as a netbook replacement. Granted, the i7 would be like putting a 700cc engine on a moped. Yea it's fast as crap, but it's still a moped. Inches matters when it comes to screen size. a 13 inch minimum, to match Mac's smallest laptop, would have made more sense. Maybe it's the weight issue, but for me, if it is a laptop replacement, I will take the additional ounces for the larger screen.

    I would not pay the money for a Mac, but equally I wouldn't for the Surface either, especially with cheaper well built Windows options. I personally just wish Microsoft would build smaller form factors to encourage more development of Modern UI apps. These apps lag very far behind their siblings on Android and Apple. It isn't just an age issue. If you look at the upgrade efforts of apps, Windows lags far behind. I know because I track my Android app updates and my Modern UI updates for those same apps. As long as there isn't the hardware to drive the demand for Modern UI, it will flounder as developers focus where the users are in this space, and today the users are on Android, for great cheap small form factor hardware, and Apple, which is for now the standard from which all this is built.
    This app development lags because it's new. We've all gone down this road before. Comparing a premature app store to a fully matured one is just irrelevant unless you have to have certain apps and you don't want further development to occur.

    You have to be the one using the Modern apps and platform for developers to notice it's being used. Don't go dogging something without fully accessing the reason why the situation exists.

    Contrary to a lot of beliefs, the Windows and Windows Phone 8 app store is the fastest growing of any os. Take that in for a minute and try to direct the blame somewhere it's more deserved like the many companies that refuse to develop certain apps.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #139


    Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    I know the specs, they are great, except for a 12 inch screen.
    But many people like portability and the 7.9" and 10.1" iPad's all sell really well. A tablet form factor with a 13.1"+ screen is just going to be too big for most people. At least for those who want to carry the device around in their purse. For these people, a laptop is going to continue to be the go-to device. Some people look at my 13.1" MacBook Pro Screen and my wife's 13.1" Samsung Series 7 Ultra Windows 8 screen and they feel they are too small...they want at least 15 inch screens. So, there will continue to be devices for these people, they are just going to be called laptops.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Also, there are plenty of notebooks and desktops, including all in ones, that rock the specs for less money.
    . Really???? Find me a Core i5 laptop, with 8GB of RAM, a 256GB SSD, with a resolution approaching 2160x1440, with 9 hours of battery life and around 2-3lbs for less than $1299. It's going to be hard. I bought a MacBook Pro like that for home and it was $1499 and doesn't have a touchscreen. And I buy Dell Latitude e7440's for work that weight about 3.7lbs and have very similar specs and they are $1700.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Even so I wouldn't pay that price point, plus a 23 inch monitor to connect it to, and plan on taking a 12 inch tablet with me anywhere. It's why I have a 23 inch all in one from HP for home. I would reach for my 8 inch tablet I use today for the road. Yea it's an android, but for the money the Samsung is a great tablet.
    Yeah, if you don't require the portability, these devices make no sense. And sure the Android tablet is just fine, for what it is, I'm sure it's a great deal. But if you are a professional photographer and take your gear out on photoshoots, something like the Surface Pro 3 that can run photoshop is going to be much better fit. For an IT guy like me, who needs to be able to VPN in, run the Microsoft RDP client, potentially run Microsoft Dynamics which requires IE...an Android tablet or Apple tablet simply won't cut it. But the Surface Pro 3 could do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    For the 2000 bucks of the Surface I can get an alienware laptop.
    But they you have to lug the heavy thing around, you have to stay near a power source because it will eat the battery alive and you will need a suitcase to carry it in.


    Quote Originally Posted by MrBill View Post
    Sorry for all the Surface 3 hate. I'm just amazed Microsoft doesn't try to put out some main stream, as in less expensive hardware. I've owned two previous surface machines. They are good quality, but in the end I returned them because I felt like, for the money, I could do better. At least unlike Apple, nobody has to buy a Surface to use Windows.
    I'm not completely convinced the surface is going to do very well, although I hope it does. I share many of your same concerns. I wouldn't call your viewpoint hate, it seems very well thought out.

    As far as Apple goes, I get the feeling you aren't an Apple fan. I bought my very first Apple product a few months ago, a 13.1" MacBooK Pro 8GB/256GB. It was about $1400. I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase. The gesture support is great, it's ability to go to sleep and wake from sleep instantly is the #1 thing I use, it lasts all day, it charges quickly, it offers ports and expandability, it has a PCI-Express based SSD which cranks over 700MB/sec, reloading the OS is a breeze with no need for keys or activation, malware and viruses aren't much of a concern at all. For me personally, the Apple was just a learning experience. I've used Android, I've used Surfaces', I've built and supported hundreds of Windows 7/8 laptops...I was just looking for something different. I'm in no way saying I will never use Windows again, and I'm not going to be moving 100% to Apple either...but I like that computer quite a bit.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #140


    Quote Originally Posted by EMINENT View Post

    Please show me a lesser priced device with same processor, ram, storage, features, under 2lbs. for less cost.
    Agreed. People tell me that they can get a laptop for a whole lot less than that. But they aren't getting an equivalent machine. I got my kids a $500 Dell Inspiron 15" laptop with Windows 8 and a touchscreen. It's a good computer, "for them". But my work Windows 8 laptop and my personal MacBook Pro will demolish it performance wise. Less weight, more power, more ram, faster hard drive, better screen resolution, better battery life, more ports, etc. When you consider the whole she-bang, the Surface Pro 3 is priced right. It's just not a bargain tablet.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Microsoft Surface Pro 3 announcement
Related Threads
Microsoft Surface Pro. in Chillout Room
Well I bought a new Surface Pro about three weeks ago. Just love it, everything I wanted and more. Dog got in front of me today, ended up falling over him and my new Surface Pro ended in pieces all over the floor. Well, I just went out and bought another one and hopefully it won't get broke like...
Microsoft Surface wallpaper in Customization
just got myself a Surface RT almost a week ago and of course some of you can guess I started making wallpapers for it....of course, so here is a little preview :p waddya guys think?
Microsoft's Surface Pro 'is not there yet,' says IDC | Microsoft - CNET News
Read more at source: Microsoft Surface Pro to have half the Surface RT's battery life | ZDNet
Read more at source: Here comes Microsoft Surface Pro, 64 bits and all | Microsoft - CNET News
Source A Guy
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook