Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 Update 2 Confirmed

  1. #81


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    A lot of people make a living of those who are ignorant of or can't or will not bather to learn about OS they are using.
    That is my job in fact. It pays my bills but is a different OS I should hasten to add.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #82


    Posts : 9
    8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Is it ok to not have live tiles or not sign in with a Microsoft Account?
    I am seeing the view from others that it is not.
    Can I configure and run my system how I choose?
    yes, it is ok.
    Granted, the option is slightly buried to create and login with only a local account.
    People really should learn how to read and comprehend everything on a computer screen.

    Part of using a PC and new tech is to talk to those who actually know.

    When someones asks, "What does this error mean." and the error clearly states, access denied
    do they really need me to explain it?
    you might be surprised that the answer is yes, in detail.

    I am all in favor of a PC Drivers license, if you do not have one, you can't even buy a PC.
    Much less look at one.

    If people wish to remain ignorant of the simplest tasks, they should not complain about their lot in life.
    You forgot something (in lieu of PC "Driver's license) A lot of people make a living of those who are ignorant of or can't or will not bather to learn about OS they are using. If you do not know how to repair and maintain a car, you pay mechanic to do it for you. If you can't drive you pay for school. Same goes for computers, there's a lot of people that will be more than happy to fix something you can't for a pay. I make some pocket money occasionally fixing a mess people do with their computers.Knowledge has to be worth something. You either pay for it or save if you have it.
    Sorry this is where I disagree. People don't want to learn because they are too lazy to learn it. Its inexcusable. Yeah I get it pays the bills and all but honestly I wish my time in dealing with computers was spent doing something else instead of tech support because people are too lazy to learn the OS. You can't compare this to cars because there is actual real labor that can be involved with this at times. Where as reinstalling an OS or installing a program is not real labor.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #83


    So, let them be lazy, they don't bother to learn, I make money, everybody happy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #84


    Cross Plains
    Posts : 255
    Windows 10 Pro


    I cant agree with the thought that everyone who has a computer should learn everything about it so they can take care of issues on their own. If that happened, a lot of us would be out of a job. However, I do agree that they should have to learn some basics about operating the computer they own. Doing that would alleviate a lot of the small issues (Installing, uninstalling, running a program) and let us focus on the bigger issues. (OS issues, program errors, blue screens, etc stuff that you wouldn't expect the average end user to fix).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #85


    Hafnarfjörđur IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    So, let them be lazy, they don't bother to learn, I make money, everybody happy.
    Hi there

    Sometimes people don't want to learn or are doing something else. Nothing wrong with that. For example if you run into a serious legal problem would you try and fix it yourself or use a professional Lawyer whose job it is to know the Law properly and sort it out.

    We can't all know 100% of everything -- no problem in paying a professional to do a job that you can't do.

    How many people on this forum for example would be quite at home erecting Scaffolding around a large complex building, or performing complex Surgery or Dentistry.. - Don't decry everyone just because they can't be bothered to learn how a computer works (or other tasks you might feel are simple). Everybody has a different skill set. Just use YOURS and if you can make money at it --fine.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #86


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    So, let them be lazy, they don't bother to learn, I make money, everybody happy.
    Hi there

    Sometimes people don't want to learn or are doing something else. Nothing wrong with that. For example if you run into a serious legal problem would you try and fix it yourself or use a professional Lawyer whose job it is to know the Law properly and sort it out.

    We can't all know 100% of everything -- no problem in paying a professional to do a job that you can't do. _How many people on this forum for example would be quite at home erecting Scaffolding around a large complex building, or performing complex Surgery or Dentistry.. - Don't decry everyone just because they can't be bothered to learn how a computer works (or other tasks you might feel are simple). Everybody has a different skill set. Just use YOURS and if you can make money at it --fine.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Agreed, to everybody their own. I would pay somebody to do something for me even if could do it myself if he's a professional in that field, he'll do it faster and better than me. In some cases it would be even cheaper for me to have, let's say a brick layer, to build something for me when I can do something that pays better than brick lying. He does it better and faster and at same time I earn even more than him. Not that I didn't do any brick laying but a professional would be 10 times better and faster. I never let anybody work on my cars except exhaust system and body work, that stuff I can do too but nowhere as good as a pro in that field. Lots of other examples, why would computers be different ?
    I repaired computer for a relative of mine who has doctorate in IT from a Swiss university , he just could not be bothered with that, was better of working at IT company at the same time, I had to do it for free and he earned heck of a more money at same time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #87


    I still think 8.1 update 1 / 8.1 update 2 is cumbersome and odd. It should be Windows 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #88


    Posts : 203
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Think of it like this Windows 8.1 is like the Second Edition of Windows 8 since the upgrade was significant enough for Microsoft to warrant a kernel change from the original Windows 8 in which they could not have called it a Service Pack.

    Windows 8.1 Update 1 is like Windows 8 SE (Second Edition) SP1 where Update 1 acts like a Service Pack in previous version of Windows.

    Now the upcoming Windows 8.1 Update 2 is not much different then calling it Windows 8 Second Edition SP2 if you want to go old school in the way of calling Windows 8 upgrades and updates.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #89


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    I guess we should all go out and buy a Windows Phone, a Surface, Office 365, other subscriptions, use Hotmail, use Bing, send personal info and settings to MS, and also send our browsing history to Microsoft
    Like I say all along > To each their own, but I highly suggest you and others to use most of these if you want to simplify your computing life. Personally I found a Lumia 1520 phablet to suffice, although it would be nice to have the new Surface 3. I have native Office Pro 2013. The subscription model doesn’t fit my needs, although it may for some. Use the integrated WinKey/Q Bing (Everywhere) all the time. MS never asks or collects personal information unless I allow it, however I do allow them via OneDrive to store my personal settings, IE favorites, browsing history, payment method, and Store apps I’ve purchased and/or downloaded. Very convenient if I ever have to reinstall or when I upgrade to the next Windows edition it’s all there for me. I allow them to collect my experience of use via the…having a “senior” moment….Don’t recall the full name of the…Costumer User Experience??….hold on…WinKey/Q…ah, yes, there it is > I was on the right track > Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). Been participating for years. It’s kind of like voting on what’s going to be in the next edition. I wasn’t using the Start Menu by the time I got to using 7. Less and less users were, so they left it out for a better way IMO.

    I must add here that someone claimed that MS continues to track even though one "disconnects". Haven't had time to look into that yet.

    During this time using this transformation OS I continue use the Desktop app/portal most generally for Office and IE. I find the subversive Modern/Metro IE difficult to use without touch, which is what it's designed for. Purchasing a touch screen for this task will greatly increase my surfing with a browser because using keyboard navigating in browsers absolutely sucks and always has. I dislike the mouse and use it the least I can. Until Office is written in the Modern/Metro Windows Runtime (WinRT) I'll need to use the Desktop app/portal. Until all programs are written in the Modern/Metro WinRT language, we all will have to use the Desktop app/portal.

    Therefore being in CEIP, every time I’m finished with the Desktop app, I close it out with WinKey/Period/Down arrow. That’s my vote for the next edition.


    Let me open this section up by stating that you seem to know more about OS tech than I do or probably ever will. I am merely a student with more time recently to learn.

    Also, the desktop, a.k.a. explorer.exe is fundamentally connected (in Windows 8) to the metro UI and WinRT via windows kernel integration, so there can be no disconnection without a rewrite of Windows NT.

    Desktop app, for it’s just that > An app > A portal of the UI to run legacy apps
    Need to add this: If you think it is just a portal of the UI to run legacy apps,
    as described previously, see what happens to your running WinRT metro apps,
    if you terminate (end task) Windows Explorer in the Task Manager. (close / suspend the desktop)

    Ok?
    Sure thing, mdmd, but I find it odd you would argue this point, for about a year ago you mentioned this fact in one of your posts. I performed an advanced search to find that post to no avail. Anywho, you did refer to it as a portal. It got me thinking about how Ms was going about doing this since the legacy desktop is now treated as an app in that it can be closed out even with legacy applications open on it, however, in reality it is just hidden. Desktop Windows Manager is still open in task manager.

    I terminated (end task) Windows Explorer in the Task Manager as you suggested. This is the result:

    Click image for larger version

    Of course some screens in the UI will no longer open. No Start Screen > no desktop > a blank screen > Or is it? The green is the color that I picked for my theme. It seems this may be the new Modern/Metro desktop. Not sure, but it is an existing screen, otherwise it would be black. I was able to restart/shut down via Ctrl/Alt/Delete to get that screen. The windows key does not bring up the Start Screen. Oddly though, if I Alt/Tab I do see the switcher window with either type of app's weird-looking icon I had open, but the apps will not appear, but assuming they are still open. I wasn't able to screenshot those for that function did not work.

    Here's the desktop being closed out. Look familiar?

    Click image for larger version

    The way I understand it none of this exists in the Windows NT Kernel. All this exists in the Win32 System (folder) of the top layer of the OS which is the User Layer. The User Layer requests the Kernel to perform tasks, for it's managing the hardware, drivers, and software within itself. I’m assuming that both the new and the old desktops exist in System Win32 folder, but that the new desktop takes precedence. That’s why the old desktop never really closes out. Yes?

    On the other hand, I could be totally wrong. Just learning.

    Architecture of Windows NT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Windows Runtime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Metro (design language) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    While I’m at it here, I installed the Store (WinRT) OneNote app. Quite interesting. Look at the editing tools they designed.

    Click image for larger version

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #90


    USA/Tenn/Oak Ridge
    Posts : 245
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Mansome View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post

    yes, it is ok.
    Granted, the option is slightly buried to create and login with only a local account.
    People really should learn how to read and comprehend everything on a computer screen.

    Part of using a PC and new tech is to talk to those who actually know.

    When someones asks, "What does this error mean." and the error clearly states, access denied
    do they really need me to explain it?
    you might be surprised that the answer is yes, in detail.

    I am all in favor of a PC Drivers license, if you do not have one, you can't even buy a PC.
    Much less look at one.

    If people wish to remain ignorant of the simplest tasks, they should not complain about their lot in life.
    You forgot something (in lieu of PC "Driver's license) A lot of people make a living of those who are ignorant of or can't or will not bather to learn about OS they are using. If you do not know how to repair and maintain a car, you pay mechanic to do it for you. If you can't drive you pay for school. Same goes for computers, there's a lot of people that will be more than happy to fix something you can't for a pay. I make some pocket money occasionally fixing a mess people do with their computers.Knowledge has to be worth something. You either pay for it or save if you have it.
    Sorry this is where I disagree. People don't want to learn because they are too lazy to learn it. Its inexcusable. Yeah I get it pays the bills and all but honestly I wish my time in dealing with computers was spent doing something else instead of tech support because people are too lazy to learn the OS. You can't compare this to cars because there is actual real labor that can be involved with this at times. Where as reinstalling an OS or installing a program is not real labor.
    I would not call them lazy in the lest bit. They use their computers to get work done and likely they don't have the time or the need to learn very much about their OS. Tech support is supposed to be there to provide that kind of service. And if you don't like providing that kind of support then don't. Not everyone needs to learn how to re-install an OS to get the work done that they need to,

    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Windows 8.1 Update 2 Confirmed
Related Threads
Hi folks, VMware already supports this but now VirtualBox seems to do it as well... This is just to note that we can finally install Windows as a VirtualBox VM using UEFI. Latest changes in version 4.3.20 made this possible. After seeing that line I got pretty curious in giving it a...
Read more at: Windows 8.1 Update 2 Confirmed for August, Will Be Just Like Any Other Update | Windows 8.1 content from Windows IT Pro Update: A minor Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update 2 still on tap for August 12 | ZDNet
So I am having this problem, which is I get a BSOD, as specified in the debugging analization, is caused by uTorrent. Error is driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (tcpip.sys). I have already tried updating my Network's Drivers. The the dump analyzation(debug check) is:
I see various articles saying many different things but can someone direct me to the "horses mouth" where officials from MicroSoft confirm that the option to default boot direct to the desktop is in fact a reality in Windows 8.1? Thanks!
Early Windows 8 Beta Builds Dogfooded, New Post-8102 Feature Confirmed - Softpedia
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook