Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Microsoft as a Subscription?

View Poll Results: What is your vote?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Great idea, could make things a bit cheaper in the long run

    4 4.40%
  • No, horrible idea, WTH are they thinking?

    68 74.73%
  • Maybe, Depends on the features and price

    19 20.88%
  1. #61


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by McRuff View Post
    When Office 2013 first came out I worked out this spreadsheet, comparing the upgrade costs to 2013. I currently have Office 2010 Pro X 1 and H&S x 3.

    I only use Excel and Word and need at least one commercial license because I am self employed and use it for business. I have 3 computers. My mobile needs are taken care of with Polaris Office on my S4.

    The attached costs are in NZ dollars and give the cost up until 2010 when Office 2010 no longer receives security updates. I decided to stick to Office 2010.

    Stand Alone Subscription
    Seats Seats
    Small Business 1 360.7 1 229.08
    Home premium x 2 2 362.14 5 165
    1 Year 722.84 394.08
    Cost till 2020 722.84 2758.56
    Aside from just plain bad information, consider having to upgrade those every couple of years.
    This is what we are talking about,,, staying current.

    If we thought this way, many would still be using Windows 95 and save a ton of money.

    Can you be any further off base?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #62


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Why would he have to upgrade them?

    I was under the impression plenty of people using 2003/2007 to this day, perfectly happily. That is why one buys things, so one can keep using them.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #63


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by McRuff View Post
    When Office 2013 first came out I worked out this spreadsheet, comparing the upgrade costs to 2013. I currently have Office 2010 Pro X 1 and H&S x 3.

    I only use Excel and Word and need at least one commercial license because I am self employed and use it for business. I have 3 computers. My mobile needs are taken care of with Polaris Office on my S4.

    The attached costs are in NZ dollars and give the cost up until 2010 when Office 2010 no longer receives security updates. I decided to stick to Office 2010.

    Stand Alone Subscription
    Seats Seats
    Small Business 1 360.7 1 229.08
    Home premium x 2 2 362.14 5 165
    1 Year 722.84 394.08
    Cost till 2020 722.84 2758.56
    Hi there

    Amen !!!!! -- and as a business user don't forget TAX refunds -- cost of Software etc as business expense. !! Should be the same in NZ.

    For a lot of people who don't need 10 gazillion licenses the stand alone model makes far more sense --problem with any sort of subscription is that they often include features you don't need -- for example Mobile phones with unlimited texts and 2,000 hrs of talk time -- well I've probably only ever texted 3 words in my entire life (I hate texting !!) and I certainly don't spend anything like 2,000 hours on the phone --if I did I really think I should be seeing some type of psychiatrist or even a Priest as there would be something seriously wrong with me.

    Same with Banks with their "Special Premium accounts" - so instead of a Basic Free banking service you pay say 15 EUR a month for "Free travel insurance etc " and a load of other perks you neither want or need - !!!

    If you have a load of kids maybe the subscription (initially- beware of price rises later when people get more used to the whole idea) might work - especially if it stops them downloading and using pirated software.

    However it's all in pursuit of that dreadful new business term "Monetisation". There's NO WAY subscription would be introduced if it yields LESS money than they currently earn. Now as people update their computers far less often Ms sees the "Discrete" sales packages declining rapidly whereas the subscription allows them to collect periodically whether people upgrade their computers or not.

    It won't STOP Piracy though - there's already stuff out in the wild that are "mimicking" activation and validation servers !!!!.

    Anyway I have my copies of Office, I only use OUTLOOK for work, ACCESS is the most sorry piece of Software ever to call itself "A database" so as far as Office 365 is concerned "I'm Outta Here" !!!.

    If Windows goes the same way - I'll run current versions on VM's (which I'm doing anyway) until they no longer work by which time I'll be long gone from Planet Earth !!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #64


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post

    Can you be any further off base?
    No, he's not off base.. not everyone needs the current release of anything... If Windows 95 works for you .. why not?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #65


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post

    Can you be any further off base?
    No, he's not off base.. not everyone needs the current release of anything... If Windows 95 works for you .. why not?

    Gotta love the Straw man argument of lets consider never ever upgrading.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #66


    A Finnish ex-pat in Leipzig, Germany
    Posts : 1,452
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    I did not answer the poll as there was no option for me. Yes, I would be very interested in getting a subscription based Windows but not only if it was cheaper; as an Office 365 user I have grown to like its subscription model quite a lot and would like to get my Windows in the same way.

    Add an option to poll "Yes, great idea, even if it costs the same or slightly more than traditionally distributed Windows" and I can vote .

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #67


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post

    Can you be any further off base?
    No, he's not off base.. not everyone needs the current release of anything... If Windows 95 works for you .. why not?

    Gotta love the Straw man argument of lets consider never ever upgrading.
    That and if they're one of these:

    OSosaur

    Officosaur
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #68


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there
    love those but I'll bet it will be a LONG time before THIS edition disappears. !!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pirate.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #69


    Posts : 34
    Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post

    Can you be any further off base?
    No, he's not off base.. not everyone needs the current release of anything... If Windows 95 works for you .. why not?

    Gotta love the Straw man argument of lets consider never ever upgrading.
    What straw man argument is that? Only a small fraction of users need all the features of Office. Fewer even still need the full features of the latest Office. None of my clients actually need a newer version of Office than 2003. They all have newer versions, but they all preferred Office 2003. Office 2003 with the compatibility pack installed was everyone of my clients favorite version.

    So again, why upgrade? They all did and all regret it. Money thrown down the toilet for software they don't even like.

    Do you think Microsoft isn't aware of this?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #70


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post

    Can you be any further off base?
    No, he's not off base.. not everyone needs the current release of anything... If Windows 95 works for you .. why not?

    Gotta love the Straw man argument of lets consider never ever upgrading.
    OMG!... lets leave it at that...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Microsoft as a Subscription?
Related Threads
Hi there From Windows 9 Forum there's a post on the possibility of Windows being offered as a subscription service rather like Office 365. Windows 365 Still Possible, Sources Say | Windows 9 Forums Hopefully NOT -- I certainly shan't be interested -- I'm already covered - most of the...
Read more at: Microsoft adds subscription-pricing option to its Office Store | ZDNet
Read more at: Microsoft to shut down TechNet subscription service | ZDNet Microsoft email to subscribers: https://microsoft.eu.subservices.com/GenEmailImageFiles/TNHeader2010.jpg
Technet subscription in Chillout Room
Would someone please be so kind as to inform me either on here or on SF of any Technet discount subscriptions that may or may not come into play? Thanks.Fabe
Source: Windows 8 Form Factors from Microsoft, and Next Gen Subscription-based PCs - Softpedia
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook