Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Why I love today’s Windows 8.1 Update

  1. #21


    Posts : 142
    Win 7 Pro x64


    Has anyone found an ISO image for the 8.1 update? I prefer doing clean installs with updates slipstreamed into the install. It cuts down on the time needed to get everything back up.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #22


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by acr731 View Post
    Has anyone found an ISO image for the 8.1 update? I prefer doing clean installs with updates slipstreamed into the install. It cuts down on the time needed to get everything back up.
    There's a whole bunch over at mdl.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #23


    Henrico, VA
    Posts : 4
    Windows 8.1


    I was hesitant to go to Windows 8 and when I ordered my two new laptops, I had them put 7 Pro on them. But after buying a Surface and seeing what 8 really was like, I upgraded my two Lenovo ThinkPads and my desktop to 8, then 8.1 and now the latest.

    8.1.1 seems to work well for me and I only have one touch device so far, but the friends I support are all getting advice to move to 8.1 so they don't have to XP or Vista the rest of their lives.

    So far the learning curve in slow, but they're all in a retirement community, so I help them get over the fright and it's good. I'm not a groupie, but I do like have a nice stable system with good interface and support like here. Thanks for the forum and I hope to be able to contribute as time continues. Old Dogs can learn new tricks! Keep that in mind, :-)!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #24


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by mick823 View Post
    One thing I noticed when using the "X" in the upper right corner to close out a modern app is that the app is still running in the background when you check in the task manager. If I close out an app I would expect it to quit running. Tested with the App Store and Skype.
    I think they go into suspend mode. If I close Slacker Radio with the X, say in mid song. When I launch it again it picks back up right where it left off. If I drag it down until it flips, and then launch it again it starts up with a new playlist and a new song.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #25


    Posts : 25
    Windows 7


    I like the new update. It adds a few good things. I really like that you can now right-click an app icon in the metro area and "pin to taskbar".
    It downloaded and installed without a hitch. I would like to get an ISO.
    Jim

    One thing - I had read that when booting if it detects that you do not have a touch screen it will automatically boot to the desktop. Mine does not do this. It still boots to metro. I know about the setting to change that but just curious.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #26


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
    I like the new update. It adds a few good things. I really like that you can now right-click an app icon in the metro area and "pin to taskbar".
    It downloaded and installed without a hitch. I would like to get an ISO.
    Jim

    One thing - I had read that when booting if it detects that you do not have a touch screen it will automatically boot to the desktop. Mine does not do this. It still boots to metro. I know about the setting to change that but just curious.
    I think that's on a clean install. If it doesn't detect a touch screen it sets boot to desktop as the default. It might even be something that is proposed for the next update. I'm not sure.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #27


    USA
    Posts : 689
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center


    Quote Originally Posted by mpw1962 View Post
    I was hesitant to go to Windows 8 and when I ordered my two new laptops, I had them put 7 Pro on them. But after buying a Surface and seeing what 8 really was like, I upgraded my two Lenovo ThinkPads and my desktop to 8, then 8.1 and now the latest.
    Basically the same here - I bought a laptop (non-touch) a year ago with 8 installed and my initial intentions was to replace it with 7, but after playing with 8. Not only did I decide to keep it, but months later upgraded my desktop to 8.1 and haven't looked back. There are some growing pains, but overall I like it.

    Anyway I like some of the new features of the update, though I've pretty much gotten use to the way 8 worked that the updates aren't really game changers to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
    One thing - I had read that when booting if it detects that you do not have a touch screen it will automatically boot to the desktop. Mine does not do this. It still boots to metro. I know about the setting to change that but just curious.
    That'd be cool if it worked like that, but I can't say I ever noticed it as the first thing I did when 8.1 was released last year was change the setting to book directly to desktop. Remember this feature is not new to this nearly released update... unless it now adds the automatic feature you describe.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #28


    Hasselt, Belgium
    Posts : 75
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32/64


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mick823 View Post
    One thing I noticed when using the "X" in the upper right corner to close out a modern app is that the app is still running in the background when you check in the task manager. If I close out an app I would expect it to quit running. Tested with the App Store and Skype.

    Yes, it's always been that way. They will run full blast for a time then go into suspended mode using less RAM. Alt/F4 or going into Task Manager to kill is the only way to completely close.
    There is also an other way.

    Just grab hold of the app at the top, pull it down to the bottom, wait until the app flips and then let go. Then it is also really closed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #29


    Posts : 12
    Windows 7


    Really like the update so far:

    1) Finally able to use my Apps from he desktop without switching to Metro.
    2) Able to minimize or close apps without having to swipe.
    3) They added the ability to split the screen to share apps with a menu instead of having to swipe to the side.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #30


    Posts : 5
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicosxm View Post
    Hi all, since I updated today my windows 8.1 with update KB2919355 I notice(never before) taskhost.exe using over 13% of my CPU even when my PC is Idle.....what is this and why is it burning so much CPU usage....????...
    Hello, nicosxm. Welcome to Windows EightForums.

    I found this.

    The taskhost.exe application consumes 50-60% of the average cpu - Microsoft Community
    Thanks for welcome note and reply still dealing with the issue, I had seen the thread you posted before posting on this site/forum but did not get much help from it...(thread date back to 2010) mostly about win 7....will keep searching...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Why I love today’s Windows 8.1 Update
Related Threads
New update for IE 11 to fix a problem. I got it through WU just a while ago. https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3025390 Jim :cool:
As the title says upon checking for Updates I am getting Codes 801901F7 or 80072EE2 or 80072EFD which I believe is a problem with connecting with the MS server. Have ran the Troubleshooters, Reset, cleared the Cache, SFC and DISM, all reporting no problems. No connection problems either.
Source: Facebook for Windows Phone gets a big update today | Blogging Windows
windows update kb2919355 appeared today - strange in Windows Updates & Activation
Hello, I patched my windows 8.1 x64 PC on Tuesday with all available updates. Today, July 10th, KB2919355 popped up "Windows 8.1 Update for x64-based systems" claiming I need the update to ensure I receive future updates. I'm pretty positive I've installed this two times previously...should I...
Microsoft's Windows 8.1 update lands at 12pm UK time today - The Inquirer Microsoft's Windows 8.1 update lands at 12pm UK time today
More...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook