Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to Update to Windows 8.1 Update on April 8th 2014

  1. #361


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dburne458 View Post
    Yeah I guess that is the only reason it bothers me, just the fact it is still residing there. I guess I could just stop looking and all would be well lol.

    (Chuckle at myself) The cure is Alt/F4 for me.

    The new slide down app bar bothers me that it's there with no option to turn off. Probably never see it for I'm not a mouser, but it bothers me all the same.

    BTW. Tried the grabbing the bar to slide down to close the apps option that I posted somewhere didn't work for me, but does. Didn't know they eliminated the grab hand and wasn't waiting long enough for the pointer to grab. Does that mean on a touch screen one has to slide it down with gesture then wait for grab? Probably just hitting the X would be quicker.

    Another thing I noticed is when using the "Search everywhere" option in Charms search it opens IE desktop instead of the Modern/Metro IE as in the past. Probably to satisfy the"Desktoppers"? Does anyone know if that has changed on touch devices?
    I think I'm bothered more by the fact that Microsoft chose not to distinguish between touch users and mouse users. You like touch and I like mousey (StarFerret loves it too). The way things are now, neither of us is completely happy with the way things are done in Windows 8.1 Update, although it's getting somewhat better for the mouse crowd, while the touch crowd seem to have things taken away.

    To be fair, each time Microsoft has changed the OS, there have always been some who were never completely happy with it in the beginning, but adjusted in the long run. I've been with Microsoft since the DOS days and Windows 3.0. (Don't think anyone ever adjusted completely to that one). But, from Windows 3.1 forward, there have been improvements and I'll adjust along with the rest . . . maybe.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #362


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    Apps that are suspended/closed via the 'x' button should only use RAM if you have plenty

    When you start running low on RAM by doing others things, Windows should terminate the apps that are suspended

    That is my understanding, the same way apps on a tablet/phone work
    Nice to know, Paul. Since I'm sitting here looking at this giant 23" tablet wannabe, and since I have 8 gigs of RAM, I'm probably OK, but still, it would be nice for MS to get it right just once.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #363


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    Apps that are suspended/closed via the 'x' button should only use RAM if you have plenty

    When you start running low on RAM by doing others things, Windows should terminate the apps that are suspended

    That is my understanding, the same way apps on a tablet/phone work

    How does the weather keeps getting updated than ? Must be doing something even when closed.

    Store apps even when closed will update via the sync service. I would imagine live tiles as well.

    The only thing I've found that closes apps totally is Alt/F4, drag down and wait for flip, or via Task Manager closing.
    Whoops! I used Alt/F4 and closed out Firefox! Lost my link to the forums! Neat, I didn't know that one and I think I like it. I know I like it. Very much!

    Once again, Hippsie teaches me something!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #364


    UK
    Posts : 283
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    I think I'm bothered more by the fact that Microsoft chose not to distinguish between touch users and mouse users. You like touch and I like mousey (StarFerret loves it too). The way things are now, neither of us is completely happy with the way things are done in Windows 8.1 Update, although it's getting somewhat better for the mouse crowd, while the touch crowd seem to have things taken away.
    This is what I find strange about the direction MS are now going with Windows 8

    They seem to be making big improvements now for the mouse users, next version of Windows looks even better for the mouse user

    Then there are some of us that like to use Windows with the Metro design as a start screen (we are a rarity but exist), and MS seem to be messing this up

    Nothing drastic in the update, but for me as a metro and desktop user, I don't see any positives so far

    More options on how things work would be wonderful
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #365


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    I think I'm bothered more by the fact that Microsoft chose not to distinguish between touch users and mouse users. You like touch and I like mousey (StarFerret loves it too). The way things are now, neither of us is completely happy with the way things are done in Windows 8.1 Update, although it's getting somewhat better for the mouse crowd, while the touch crowd seem to have things taken away.
    This is what I find strange about the direction MS are now going with Windows 8

    They seem to be making big improvements now for the mouse users, next version of Windows looks even better for the mouse user

    Then there are some of us that like to use Windows with the Metro design as a start screen (we are a rarity but exist), and MS seem to be messing this up

    Nothing drastic in the update, but for me as a metro and desktop user, I don't see any positives so far

    More options on how things work would be wonderful
    Playing devil's advocate here: Would you be so upset by this latest direction that Windows 8.1 is taking if Microsoft hadn't thrown the mouse crowd under the bus, so to speak, when Windows 8 was released?

    And now, no longer the devil's advocate: I still say Microsoft should have distinguished between the mouse and touch crowd. That should have been priority numero uno!

    I adjusted completely to Windows 8 and the Metro/Modern interface with my mouse; however, I've used the QuickLaunch bar from the time it was released. That and the Programs toolbar provide me with a way to quickly get to a program or file I need. Unlike the taskbar, I can pin a file to QuickLaunch. I tried to pin an Excel file to the taskbar and it wanted to pin Excel instead! Not cool!

    I installed several of the "Windows 7 Start Buttons" but none worked for me, so they were quickly removed.

    Oh, yeah . . . I'd like to get rid of that Charms thingy for good and all: if I need it, I can just do Alt/C. Gimme a choice, Microsoft!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #366


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    Apps that are suspended/closed via the 'x' button should only use RAM if you have plenty

    When you start running low on RAM by doing others things, Windows should terminate the apps that are suspended

    That is my understanding, the same way apps on a tablet/phone work

    How does the weather keeps getting updated than ? Must be doing something even when closed.

    Store apps even when closed will update via the sync service. I would imagine live tiles as well.

    The only thing I've found that closes apps totally is Alt/F4, drag down and wait for flip, or via Task Manager closing.

    Yesterday I did a test specifically on a variety of different apps, to help someone here with this exact question.

    You are correct. Here's my results from yesterday, for anyone else who's curious.


    Close via icon on left of black bar... Suspends

    Close by red 'X'... Suspends.

    Drag but not flip... Suspends.

    Drag and flip... Closes.

    Alt + F4... Closes.

    Task Mgr... Closes.


    Hope this helps someone, and clears up any confusion.


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #367


    UK
    Posts : 283
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here: Would you be so upset by this latest direction that Windows 8.1 is taking if Microsoft hadn't thrown the mouse crowd under the bus, so to speak, when Windows 8 was released?

    And now, no longer the devil's advocate: I still say Microsoft should have distinguished between the mouse and touch crowd. That should have been priority numero uno!
    That's a tough one

    For me I have been a Mac user for a number of years, I deliberately came back to Windows because of Windows 8, liked the look of it and how it worked, so I knew exactly what I was getting

    So if MS hadn't originally ignored the mouse crowd, I would probably still be a Mac user

    Understand why people where annoyed when a feature got removed, I would have felt the same if I had experienced this

    Your second point I fully agree on

    When 8.0 came out MS could have catered for both, similar to what they have done in the last update, have one layout for touch (metro based start screen) and one for mouse (original style start menu with metro apps on it, like the next Windows is rumoured to be), giving an option to change which you want if needed

    If this had happened from the start, imo, there would have been less complaints as there are now as it would look very similar to Win 7 (with the added apps), Touch users or those that wanted to use the new style could have a start screen as now
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #368


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post


    How does the weather keeps getting updated than ? Must be doing something even when closed.

    Store apps even when closed will update via the sync service. I would imagine live tiles as well.

    The only thing I've found that closes apps totally is Alt/F4, drag down and wait for flip, or via Task Manager closing.
    Whoops! I used Alt/F4 and closed out Firefox! Lost my link to the forums! Neat, I didn't know that one and I think I like it. I know I like it. Very much!

    Once again, Hippsie teaches me something!
    Good old Alt+F4!

    If Alt+F4 won't kill it, it's probably already dead.

    What would computing be without Alt+F4 and his old mate Ctrl-Alt-Del?


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #369


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    ... it would be nice for MS to get it right just once.
    They did, it was called windows 7.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #370


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post

    When 8.0 came out MS could have catered for both, similar to what they have done in the last update, have one layout for touch (metro based start screen) and one for mouse (original style start menu with metro apps on it, like the next Windows is rumoured to be), giving an option to change which you want if needed

    If this had happened from the start, imo, there would have been less complaints as there are now as it would look very similar to Win 7 (with the added apps), Touch users or those that wanted to use the new style could have a start screen as now
    There would need to be a third option apart from just desktop or metro.

    You see, I like both to be available at once. Just because I boot to the desktop doesn't mean I don't want the Charm bar, hot corners etc or access to All Apps/SS.


    Wenda.
    Last edited by Wenda; 11 Apr 2014 at 10:57.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
How to Update to Windows 8.1 Update on April 8th 2014
Related Threads
Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 Update: April 2014 Note Windows Update may offer update 2919355 again even when the computer already has update 2919355 installed. This is expected, and is in order to resolve a Windows Update client issue. Windows Update only installs...
The Windows 8.1 Update will be released on April 8th 2014 via Windows Update. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKTlOYjmiZo
Read more at: Windows Phone 8.1 update available on April 14th | The Verge See also: See also: Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Hi there Title says it all --- I haven't even seen any leaks "at the usual places" yet --Ms really has got this one under wraps. (Of course who knows -- there could be last minute glitches with it). Cheers jimbo
Okey Dokey . . . I've been holding off updating to Windows 8.1 because of the "sleep issue" https://www.eightforums.com/general-support/28226-windows-8-1-refuses-sleep.html (it's a huge thread, folks). I was about ready to jump onto Windows 8.1 to see if the sleep and NumLock issues have...
Report: Windows 8.1 Update 1 to be released April 8th; MSDN gets it April 2nd Source A Guy
Source A Guy
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook