Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to Update to Windows 8.1 Update on April 8th 2014

  1. #351


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    "X" closed Live tiles leave more than zero CPU and memory. Weather leaves about 1 - 2 % CPU and 85 MB memory.
    Bugger. Now I have to be OCD about this as well. Weather leaves 103.8 MB for me when suspended. CPU is still zero though for me.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #352


    I was finally able to get all 6 downloaded and installed. I expected to see the list of installed updates to be shortened (it's not), as it was my understanding that this upgrade was like an SP2. I did get another update today, but still seeing a long list of updates in Programs and Features.

    Did I misunderstand the purpose, or did the upgrade not work properly?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #353


    UK
    Posts : 283
    Windows 8.1


    Apps that are suspended/closed via the 'x' button should only use RAM if you have plenty

    When you start running low on RAM by doing others things, Windows should terminate the apps that are suspended

    That is my understanding, the same way apps on a tablet/phone work
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #354


    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Butter View Post
    I was finally able to get all 6 downloaded and installed. I expected to see the list of installed updates to be shortened (it's not), as it was my understanding that this upgrade was like an SP2. I did get another update today, but still seeing a long list of updates in Programs and Features.

    Did I misunderstand the purpose, or did the upgrade not work properly?
    I wouldn't call it Service pack, just updates mostly for cosmetics, 8.1 was more like SP.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #355


    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    Apps that are suspended/closed via the 'x' button should only use RAM if you have plenty

    When you start running low on RAM by doing others things, Windows should terminate the apps that are suspended

    That is my understanding, the same way apps on a tablet/phone work

    How does the weather keeps getting updated than ? Must be doing something even when closed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #356


    Thanks, CountMike, for the explanation. I thought it was a rollup.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #357


    UK
    Posts : 283
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    Apps that are suspended/closed via the 'x' button should only use RAM if you have plenty

    When you start running low on RAM by doing others things, Windows should terminate the apps that are suspended

    That is my understanding, the same way apps on a tablet/phone work

    How does the weather keeps getting updated than ? Must be doing something even when closed.
    Small background process

    If you check task manager after boot or after you have been away from your machine for a while you will see a lot of tasks running that update metro apps (tiles)


    eg with weather
    I have not run the weather app today, but my live tile is showing the correct weather and the weather app is not in task manager (the background task to update the tile runs and then closes)

    I think, not 100% on this, but if you don't use the app for 2 weeks, then the live tile stops working, you need to open the app to get it going again
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #358


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    I had hoped that in the update, metro apps would work with uac turned off, so I could at least try some... if only to say that I did. Alas, that is not the case.

    But I did try.
    Most of 'em aren't all that great, Rikkins. So far I haven't found any of the photo ones as good as Photo Gallery that's been there at least through Windows 7. I use stand alone Paint Shop Pro 5? 6? (next to the last release), which is comparable to Photoshop without the high cost for more complex stuff. Maps? OK, but not fantastic. There's a new one about Nasa that a fellow beta tester built. I haven't learned much about it yet, though.

    So, all in all, I don't think you've missed much.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #359


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
    Apps that are suspended/closed via the 'x' button should only use RAM if you have plenty

    When you start running low on RAM by doing others things, Windows should terminate the apps that are suspended

    That is my understanding, the same way apps on a tablet/phone work

    How does the weather keeps getting updated than ? Must be doing something even when closed.

    Store apps even when closed will update via the sync service. I would imagine live tiles as well.

    The only thing I've found that closes apps totally is Alt/F4, drag down and wait for flip, or via Task Manager closing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #360


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Butter View Post
    I was finally able to get all 6 downloaded and installed. I expected to see the list of installed updates to be shortened (it's not), as it was my understanding that this upgrade was like an SP2. I did get another update today, but still seeing a long list of updates in Programs and Features.

    Did I misunderstand the purpose, or did the upgrade not work properly?
    So far, everything's working fine for me. I'm not going to get OCD about the apps completely closing because I only use a couple, so I don't think my resources will be depleted all that much.

    Having said that, it does bother me that Microsoft seems to have missed this one. Small, but well, I expect so much more . . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
How to Update to Windows 8.1 Update on April 8th 2014
Related Threads
Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 Update: April 2014 Note Windows Update may offer update 2919355 again even when the computer already has update 2919355 installed. This is expected, and is in order to resolve a Windows Update client issue. Windows Update only installs...
The Windows 8.1 Update will be released on April 8th 2014 via Windows Update. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKTlOYjmiZo
Read more at: Windows Phone 8.1 update available on April 14th | The Verge See also: See also: Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Hi there Title says it all --- I haven't even seen any leaks "at the usual places" yet --Ms really has got this one under wraps. (Of course who knows -- there could be last minute glitches with it). Cheers jimbo
Okey Dokey . . . I've been holding off updating to Windows 8.1 because of the "sleep issue" https://www.eightforums.com/general-support/28226-windows-8-1-refuses-sleep.html (it's a huge thread, folks). I was about ready to jump onto Windows 8.1 to see if the sleep and NumLock issues have...
Report: Windows 8.1 Update 1 to be released April 8th; MSDN gets it April 2nd Source A Guy
Source A Guy
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook