Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to Update to Windows 8.1 Update on April 8th 2014

  1. #271


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    Have you been back today, John? Look at what has been done to that statement since I first read it on the Technet Blog yesterday or the day before at Exploring Windows 8.1 Update ? Start Screen, Desktop and Other Enhancements - Ask Premier Field Engineering (PFE) Platforms - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

    Failure to install this Update will prevent Windows Update from patching your system with any future updates starting with Updates released in May 2014 (get busy!)

    Whew, thought I'd never get the strike through to happen! Since the Technet Blog is by a Microsoftie, I'm betting this is pretty official.
    Hmm - that's interesting. Maybe they've changed their mind on something then?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #272


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Anyone notice how fast Metro apps open after Update 1?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #273


    Don't have many but yes, looks a bit faster now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #274


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    Well I got the thing installed using the burned ISO, had to go through the whole damned process of entering the retail key to activate pro, and the media center key to install that again, but ALL my stuff was as before, checked the build, it wasn't 17041, it was 17031, so ran MS update, it found 5 updates, incl the update 1, strange cause this ISO is supposed to incl the update?, but this time update 1 was only 128mg, not the 800 something.

    D/L'ed the updates (all of them at one time) and ran the install, ALL went OK, I rechecked the build and now says 17041......!! hell it only took 6 hrs, smirks.

    So cheer up bob burns, it can be done, one way or another .
    17031 is an earlier release of update 1, not the final version. That's likely why you had top update again to get to 17041. The ISO you have must be an earlier leaked version and not the final release.
    The one listed on the page you linked to earlier in this thread reads 9600.17031.140221. That's not the final version that is now up on TechNet and MSDN. Just so you know.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #275


    VA USA
    Posts : 349
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    Well I got the thing installed using the burned ISO, had to go through the whole damned process of entering the retail key to activate pro, and the media center key to install that again, but ALL my stuff was as before, checked the build, it wasn't 17041, it was 17031, so ran MS update, it found 5 updates, incl the update 1, strange cause this ISO is supposed to incl the update?, but this time update 1 was only 128mg, not the 800 something.

    D/L'ed the updates (all of them at one time) and ran the install, ALL went OK, I rechecked the build and now says 17041......!! hell it only took 6 hrs, smirks.

    So cheer up bob burns, it can be done, one way or another .
    17031 is an earlier release of update 1, not the final version. That's likely why you had top update again to get to 17041. The ISO you have must be an earlier leaked version and not the final release.
    The one listed on the page you linked to earlier in this thread reads 9600.17031.140221. That's not the final version that is now up on TechNet and MSDN. Just so you know.
    OK thanks, so it was right to say "with update" even though it was a step older, anyway no sweat, it updated itself right after I checked for updates so its "useable" in a pinch.

    For now I just cleaned up my drive, removed the old w8.1 ESD that was 3 gig, and made 3 seperate Image backups, so I'm back to "norma"

    It was just lucky that I even had that ISO "before" I did any updating, it was a chore to go through the setup process again, but it was the only way to correct what ever was hangin up with being able to get update 1 to install.

    Maybe sometime later the "final" ISO link will be available, for now the one I have is OK.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #276


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HOODY View Post
    Well I got the thing installed using the burned ISO, had to go through the whole damned process of entering the retail key to activate pro, and the media center key to install that again, but ALL my stuff was as before, checked the build, it wasn't 17041, it was 17031, so ran MS update, it found 5 updates, incl the update 1, strange cause this ISO is supposed to incl the update?, but this time update 1 was only 128mg, not the 800 something.

    D/L'ed the updates (all of them at one time) and ran the install, ALL went OK, I rechecked the build and now says 17041......!! hell it only took 6 hrs, smirks.

    So cheer up bob burns, it can be done, one way or another .
    17031 is an earlier release of update 1, not the final version. That's likely why you had top update again to get to 17041. The ISO you have must be an earlier leaked version and not the final release.
    The one listed on the page you linked to earlier in this thread reads 9600.17031.140221. That's not the final version that is now up on TechNet and MSDN. Just so you know.
    OK thanks, so it was right to say "with update" even though it was a step older, anyway no sweat, it updated itself right after I checked for updates so its "useable" in a pinch.

    For now I just cleaned up my drive, removed the old w8.1 ESD that was 3 gig, and made 3 seperate Image backups, so I'm back to "norma"

    It was just lucky that I even had that ISO "before" I did any updating, it was a chore to go through the setup process again, but it was the only way to correct what ever was hangin up with being able to get update 1 to install.

    Maybe sometime later the "final" ISO link will be available, for now the one I have is OK.
    Yeah it was a "with update", its just not the final version.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #277


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Welp, that was a complete waste of time. Update failed. I won't try again, gonna wait for 9.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #278


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Your doing it wrong.







    Sorry, I couldn't resist. I think you have the kind of sense of humor that can appreciate that comment without blowing a gasket. At least I hope you do, I don't mean to offend.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #279


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Welp, that was a complete waste of time. Update failed. I won't try again, gonna wait for 9.
    Perhaps because of all the customization applications you have the MS server thinks it's a Linux distro.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #280


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Your doing it wrong.







    Sorry, I couldn't resist. I think you have the kind of sense of humor that can appreciate that comment without blowing a gasket. At least I hope you do, I don't mean to offend.
    Hehehe, no worries mate. Most likely it's because I've disabled uac via registry.
    And yea, I probably will try again.... I just can't help myself, I gotta have the latest and the greatest(well... don't get me started...)...

    I just gotta remember what I did to the registry to reverse it...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
How to Update to Windows 8.1 Update on April 8th 2014
Related Threads
Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 Update: April 2014 Note Windows Update may offer update 2919355 again even when the computer already has update 2919355 installed. This is expected, and is in order to resolve a Windows Update client issue. Windows Update only installs...
The Windows 8.1 Update will be released on April 8th 2014 via Windows Update. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKTlOYjmiZo
Read more at: Windows Phone 8.1 update available on April 14th | The Verge See also: See also: Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
Hi there Title says it all --- I haven't even seen any leaks "at the usual places" yet --Ms really has got this one under wraps. (Of course who knows -- there could be last minute glitches with it). Cheers jimbo
Okey Dokey . . . I've been holding off updating to Windows 8.1 because of the "sleep issue" https://www.eightforums.com/general-support/28226-windows-8-1-refuses-sleep.html (it's a huge thread, folks). I was about ready to jump onto Windows 8.1 to see if the sleep and NumLock issues have...
Report: Windows 8.1 Update 1 to be released April 8th; MSDN gets it April 2nd Source A Guy
Source A Guy
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook