Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Why Have Most Windows 8 Users Not Upgraded to Windows 8.1?

  1. #71


    Posts : 112
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there
    OK - but unless you said in your post that you had added a 3rd party app the info you gave was misleading as it implied that W8 can boot straight to the desktop "Out of the box" which it doesn't.

    I'm not having a go at you but it's very easy for people to get the wrong info like some would say - where's the configuration for W8 to boot straight to desktop.

    W8.1 DOES boot straight to desktop without any 3rd party addons.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Hi Jimbo,

    Just checked my BootCamp and Yes, with the installation of Pokki Windows 8 Start Menu, I managed to boot into desktop directly. Like on your screendump, in Windows 8 there is NO "Navigation" tab present, only "Taskbar". So for that fact 8.1 is a GOOD upgrade.

    Sorry for causing the misunderstanding!

    Cheers

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #72


    Denmark
    Posts : 224
    Windows 8.1 64bit Pro


    I believe some of the reasons are due to lack of the possibillity to do a "clean install". When you have a windows 8 licence key, you can't get a Windows 8.1 ISO to install from. If you get your hand on an ISO (torrent or whatever), then you can't install it with your windows 8 key. Finding an (unlegal??) installkey, install windows 8.1, change to your legal windows 8 key, and THEN you can activate your windows 8.1.

    This stupid solution brings some poor installations to surface. First install a windows 8, then opdate a lot, then upgrade til windows 8.1, then update some more, and then change key. No wounder normal people don't like to start such a job.

    When Windows 8.1 CAN be activated with a windows 8 key, why the .uc. can't we be allowed to install windows 8.1 in the best possible way, without having to use an "install key", that we're not even sure is legal to use?

    I have had a big search going on for finding an .ISO in my language (danish) with Windows 8.1 Pro x64. I can't download it from Microsoft as I only have an Windows 8 Pro key. But at last I have succes in finding such an .ISO, and after a clean install with Windows 8.1 I can now see some of the better things MS has been done with the OS (for my use).

    All the way back to Windows 95 it was never a good idea to "upgrade" an OS, you get the smallest and the fastest system by a clean install, so WHY does MS want most of os to go through this "upgrade hell"??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #73


    India
    Posts : 172
    Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1


    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sri2000 View Post
    Looks like i have the slowest internet! i takes me 13-16 hrs to download 3 gb (55kbps)
    Sorry to be a pedant (and doubly so if I am wrong). 3gb is 3.221.225.472 bytes or 25.769.803.776 bits. At 55kbps this would take around 5 1/2 days. I guess your speed must be better than you thought (or my arithmetic worse of course). Cheers
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #74


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    If you have an OEM install and only recovery disks to fall back on ( if you took the time to make them) its a big issue if your update goes south. I've only done it once though the store and it didn't go well. I'm one of the lucky few who have access to clean ISO's so I just started over and did a clean install of 8.1. A lot had to go back to the OEM 8.0 install and debate having another go at the store update. I'm betting they didn't do it that second time.
    I have an OEM install and the first time didn't go well for me either. After a trip to HP for repair when it arrived back to my house, I had to call support because the idjits didn't finish the repair job, so I stayed with Windows 8 for quite awhile.

    As a beta tester, one of the betas I'm on absolutely and positively required Windows 8.1, so I had to bite the bullet and install 8.1. Since time was of the essence, I went through the Store for the update. Reluctantly, I must say!

    What is amazing is that I actually cannot tell any difference between the Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 installs. I actually went into my system to be sure I'm running 8.1. Well, duh! The beta I'm on didn't work on Windows 8 before installing 8.1, but I still went in and looked.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #75


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Allison View Post
    Ipeople shouldn't be penalized for being unable to deploy it.
    How are you penalised? You don't have to do anything if you are happy with what you have. It isn't going to get suddenly worse.
    Adam, those who have systems that won't take Windows 8.1 have a very short life-span for Windows 8. IOW, if I cannot update to Windows 8.1, MIcrosoft will cut off support for my OS much earlier than they will for Window 7! So, yes, those who cannot update to Windows 8.1 are penalized.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #76


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    I think you'll find it is only older AMD processors that lack the CMPXCHG16b instruction set and will not work with 64 bit 8.1. It would be annoying if you were in that boat but nothing lasts for ever. Some people on this forum have found that these old AMD processors do in fact work.
    Nope, Adam, it's not only AMD proessors; I have an Intel CPU that took Windows 8 64 bit quite handily, but when I attempted to update to Windows 8.1, I could not. Somewhere in Microsoft's wisdom, they changed the rules on a large number of us. On top of that, those who cannot even roll back to 32 bit, suffer the consequences because Windows 8 will be obsolete and unsupported years before its time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #77


    Posts : 1,875
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    I have an Intel CPU that took Windows 8 64 bit quite handily, but when I attempted to update to Windows 8.1, I could not.
    Your system specs says AMD Elite Quad-Core A8-6500 - perhaps you are talking about another PC. I did find on Microsoft site yesterday a quote that said no changes were necessary between 8 and 8.1 which is obviously untrue - there are plenty of threads here stating the contrary.

    I'd be astonished if anyone bought a OEM PC with windows 8 pre-installed that wouldn't upgrade to 8.1 though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #78


    Posts : 112
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Burgurne View Post
    I believe some of the reasons are due to lack of the possibillity to do a "clean install". When you have a windows 8 licence key, you can't get a Windows 8.1 ISO to install from. If you get your hand on an ISO (torrent or whatever), then you can't install it with your windows 8 key. Finding an (unlegal??) installkey, install windows 8.1, change to your legal windows 8 key, and THEN you can activate your windows 8.1.

    This stupid solution brings some poor installations to surface. First install a windows 8, then opdate a lot, then upgrade til windows 8.1, then update some more, and then change key. No wounder normal people don't like to start such a job.

    When Windows 8.1 CAN be activated with a windows 8 key, why the .uc. can't we be allowed to install windows 8.1 in the best possible way, without having to use an "install key", that we're not even sure is legal to use?

    I have had a big search going on for finding an .ISO in my language (danish) with Windows 8.1 Pro x64. I can't download it from Microsoft as I only have an Windows 8 Pro key. But at last I have succes in finding such an .ISO, and after a clean install with Windows 8.1 I can now see some of the better things MS has been done with the OS (for my use).

    All the way back to Windows 95 it was never a good idea to "upgrade" an OS, you get the smallest and the fastest system by a clean install, so WHY does MS want most of os to go through this "upgrade hell"??
    Great post!!! Indeed these update and upgrade -very time consuming- routines MAKES NO SENSE at all, M$ BS!!!

    Cheers
    Last edited by m4v3r1ck; 29 Mar 2014 at 05:44.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #79


    Trnava
    Posts : 683
    Win 8.1.1 Pro x64


    Upgrading Windows 8 to 8.1 is the most horrific experience I have had Windows, ever.
    My attempts failed 3 times and every try took about 3 hours, then it rolled back slowly.
    Not to mention, that in order to install it you need to register a pesky microsoft account.
    I am really disappointed, that Microsoft does not allow users to legally download 8.1 ISO.
    I navigated my friend to upgrade and he failed 2 times, then he was forced to use 8.1 ISO.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #80


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by sri2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sri2000 View Post
    Looks like i have the slowest internet! i takes me 13-16 hrs to download 3 gb (55kbps)
    Sorry to be a pedant (and doubly so if I am wrong). 3gb is 3.221.225.472 bytes or 25.769.803.776 bits. At 55kbps this would take around 5 1/2 days. I guess your speed must be better than you thought (or my arithmetic worse of course). Cheers
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.w3schools.com/downloadwww.htm
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Why Have Most Windows 8 Users Not Upgraded to Windows 8.1?
Related Threads
Just a curious thought, and I am unsure if it is possible, but has anyone had an installation of Windows Xp and Upgraded to Vista, then 7, then 8, and finally 8.1? Or is that not even possible. I am assuming not as the hardware has changed a bunch from 2001 to 2014 (Now).
I have a windows 8 partition and vista partition. I want to uninstall VISTA, how do I do this? Do I set windows 8 as my active partition and just delete VISTA partition under disk management?
I stupidly upgraded from windows 8 to 8.1 thinking I was just accepting a windows update and everything was installed seemingly without any probs. however, I have been forced to create a Microsoft account during the install process which I did not want and now my computer makes me log in every...
I upgraded to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 with Windows Store, which I had installed by default on notebook, when I bought it. However, it turned out that some drivers are not very cooperative with new OS. So I want to use the Reset feature. But, it doesn't let me do it because "some files are...
I have a brand new PC been using for last few days; which I just upgraded to a new SSD drive and a fresh install of Windows 8 Pro; manually installed all the drivers myself, and have been getting quite frequent daily BSOD crashes. Im really not familiar with Windows 8, so have been a struggle to...
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or...
I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8 pro. Now my windows mail won't send or receive emails. I have deleted my email accounts and have started from scratch but no luck. I have also rang my email provider and the reset my password, reset my i.p and they didn't have any luck also. Can anyone help??
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook