Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8.1 Update 1 leaked

  1. #151


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by johnpombrio View Post
    the key issue I was making here is WIN8.1 RTM, the full, installable official release is NOT ON Technet. All of the Technet releases are for prerelease versions:

    From Paul thurott "While the RTM version is right on track for its October release, as the platform reportedly went RTM on August 23 as of build 9600.16384.130821-1623."

    I needed to download a bootleg copy in order to do a full install of the Win8.1 RTM as there is not one on Technet. The technet Win8.1 ISOs need to be substantially upgraded to bring it up to RTM. Am I wrong?
    Based on past experience with Technet, and the fact that I get two product keys per my subscription level, (and I've never seen a non-RTM product there, it seems to me this is the RTM (retail) version although it doesn't say so. Further, I went to the Office page and don't find anything saying RTM (retail) there either. And, I absolutely know that's the final version! I also went to the Windows 8.0 pages and found pretty much the same information there. Again, I absolutely know that's also the final version.

    I installed 8.1 on a test machine, which I have subsequently retired, and found no indication that I didn't have the RTM version.

    Are you wrong? Who knows? Am I wrong? Who knows?

    Also, incremental builds have historically been provided to me (as a beta tester) on Connect. That, of course, was before Windows 8 started testing, since the majority of experienced testers were left out on that one. Ain't no Winders 8/8.1 on Connect fer moi or StarFerret either.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #152


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Being able to pin Metro Apps to the taskbar is OK but when you launch them they open on the monitor with the shortcut icons on it. I'd rather have them launch on the monitor I last used them on. Like desktop programs do. Anybody else getting the spinning circle busy cursor? I'm seeing it when I move my mouse cursor from one screen to another. It just keeps spinning until I click on that screen and shift focus. Doesn't happen all the time but often enough to notice it. Usually when I go from Metro to a desktop program on another monitor like IE.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #153


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Being able to pin Metro Apps to the taskbar is OK but when you launch them they open on the monitor with the shortcut icons on it. I'd rather have them launch on the monitor I last used them on. Like desktop programs do. Anybody else getting the spinning circle busy cursor? I'm seeing it when I move my mouse cursor from one screen to another. It just keeps spinning until I click on that screen and shift focus. Doesn't happen all the time but often enough to notice it. Usually when I go from Metro to a desktop program on another monitor like IE.
    When I pinned apps to the taskbar, media would stop playing, logged in apps would be logged out when I brought them back up and yes, they don't re-open in the last used environment unless you retrieve them from the App Switcher.
    Also, to reveal the taskbar with a Metro app open, you have to slam your cursor down hard and, in a sense, 'feel' for it.
    Never experienced the spinning activity indicator thing though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #154


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Here's another thing:
    It's kind of ironic but, as I recall, one of the keen 'selling' points of Windows 8 was the assumption that the Metro interface was to run a lot lighter on your system as they are standalone applications and don't keep the whole of Explorer running in the background; yet when I CLOSE 6 Metro apps, they are using 118MB of memory supposedly suspended in the background; while 12 Explorer windows minimized to the taskbar is only using 68MB of memory!

    (Excuse me if I appear to be naive or ignorant, perhaps many of these observations are driven by angst! )
    Last edited by Edwin; 12 Feb 2014 at 23:12.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #155


    This may be already in this long thread,but, dragging back to the thread title, I now read that the latest from MS, on the release of Windows 8.1.1, will be April 8, through normal updates.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #156


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Being able to pin Metro Apps to the taskbar is OK but when you launch them they open on the monitor with the shortcut icons on it. I'd rather have them launch on the monitor I last used them on. Like desktop programs do. Anybody else getting the spinning circle busy cursor? I'm seeing it when I move my mouse cursor from one screen to another. It just keeps spinning until I click on that screen and shift focus. Doesn't happen all the time but often enough to notice it. Usually when I go from Metro to a desktop program on another monitor like IE.
    When I pinned apps to the taskbar, media would stop playing, logged in apps would be logged out when I brought them back up and yes, they don't re-open in the last used environment unless you retrieve them from the App Switcher.
    Also, to reveal the taskbar with a Metro app open, you have to slam your cursor down hard and, in a sense, 'feel' for it.
    Never experienced the spinning activity indicator thing though.
    I pinned before I launched the Apps so I haven't noticed them stopping or suspending. The taskbar being hidden for Metro Apps isn't what I want. I'd rather have the option to have it visible full time. If I set "Show taskbar buttons on" to All Taskbars Metro Apps will launch on the monitor I click the icon on. It looks to cluttered for me though, Normally I set it to "Taskbar where it is open" so I can easily see what's running on what monitor. I hope they add more than this to the official release.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #157


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I pinned before I launched the Apps so I haven't noticed them stopping or suspending. The taskbar being hidden for Metro Apps isn't what I want. I'd rather have the option to have it visible full time. If I set "Show taskbar buttons on" to All Taskbars Metro Apps will launch on the monitor I click the icon on. It looks to cluttered for me though, Normally I set it to "Taskbar where it is open" so I can easily see what's running on what monitor. I hope they add more than this to the official release.
    Agreed! Again, 'ModernMix' had it right a year and a half ago!

    Also, if you enabled 'Peak', hovering on the preview allows you to close the window from within the preview; not so with Metro apps, the preview disappears within 1 second!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #158


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    I pinned before I launched the Apps so I haven't noticed them stopping or suspending. The taskbar being hidden for Metro Apps isn't what I want. I'd rather have the option to have it visible full time. If I set "Show taskbar buttons on" to All Taskbars Metro Apps will launch on the monitor I click the icon on. It looks to cluttered for me though, Normally I set it to "Taskbar where it is open" so I can easily see what's running on what monitor. I hope they add more than this to the official release.
    Agreed! Again, 'ModernMix' had it right a year and a half ago!

    Also, if you enabled 'Peak', hovering on the preview allows you to close the window from within the preview; not so with Metro apps, the preview disappears within 1 second!
    Not for me? It stays as long as I leave my cursor on the taskbar icon. I also get the red X to close it if I mouse to the preview thumb nail. They work just the same as the desktop program icons on my taskbar.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #159


    Texas
    Posts : 1,022
    Windows 8.1


    Quote Originally Posted by davehc View Post
    This may be already in this long thread,but, dragging back to the thread title, I now read that the latest from MS, on the release of Windows 8.1.1, will be April 8, through normal updates.
    Thanks, Dave. I'm waiting . . .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #160


    Posts : 1,720
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Not for me? It stays as long as I leave my cursor on the taskbar icon. I also get the red X to close it if I mouse to the preview thumb nail. They work just the same as the desktop program icons on my taskbar.
    Really? Check out this quick snippet:
    Preview - Edwin000's library
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Windows 8.1 Update 1 leaked
Related Threads
Read the rest here:Microsoft?s Leaked Windows 8.1 Update 1 Version Was Just a Test Build, Not RTM
Leaked Windows 8.1 Update 1 Build Includes ?Pin Metro Apps to Taskbar? Options
Windows 8 RTM has leaked in Windows 8 News
Obviously I'm just reporting some details MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.8.ENTERPRISE.N.RTM.X64.VOLUME.ENGLISH.BOOTABLE_ISO-CTRLSOFT FILE: W8EntN.x64.RTM.EN-CtrlSoft.iso SIZE: 3,168,436,224 bytes CRC-32: 3B2EDC62 MD5: A5A2E1AF1A48D3655C08F384D7408F83 SHA-1: EA02303283F24EB1942D39B1272D2F07B18B4645...
Windows 8 - 7955 Leaked in Windows 8 News
It has leaked onto BA Private FTP again. Will update when a torrent becomes available :D Neowin article: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8-build-7955-has-leaked EDIT: Links will soon appear @Digiex Windows 8 Build 7955 Download (M2 Branch)...
Neowin.net - Windows 8 Enterprise M3 6.2.7959 has leaked http://digiex.net/downloads/download-center-2-0/applications/8440-windows-8-build-7959-download-6-2-7959-0-fbl_srv_wdacxml-110307-1930_amd64fre_server.html
Windows 8 - 7850 Leaked in Windows 8 News
I will post more details as they become available... hold on tight Article from Slimy at Techspot: Leaked: Windows 8 build 7850 More at:...
Windows 8 leaked to public in Windows 8 News
This one should be a good joke for the Chillout Room rather then being called a blog? Too soon for W8 you would think! More at: Esa Dicky Official Blog: WINDOWS 8 LEAKED TO PUBLIC
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook