Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Few Users Installed Windows 8/8.1 in January 2014

  1. #1

    Few Users Installed Windows 8/8.1 in January 2014


    It’s February 1, so it’s the time for another batch of statistics provided by Net Applications. Unfortunately for Microsoft’s modern operating system, they are barely increasing their market share, so while Windows 8.1 managed to boost its number of users, Windows 8 continued the decline.

    At this point, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are holding a combined market share of 10.58 percent, which represents only a minor boost as compared to figures recorded last month.
    The rest here:Few Users Installed Windows 8/8.1 in January 2014

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Not surprising, January isn't a month of much activity. The next bout will most likely occur in the spring when tax returns come in, fall, and then the holidays.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    Really ? Isn't Jan a big month for retailers, it is in this country.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    It will be interesting to see the Mai numbers to see where the 30% of XP users are going.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    There is always a completely valid reason for the lack of interest in 8... everything except the os itself.

    Funny, ain't it...??
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    Really ? Isn't Jan a big month for retailers, it is in this country.
    Not really, the months of January and part of February are typically the slowest months of the retail year. They'll have some sales to get people buying, but those two months are off the tail end of the Christmas season. Everyone just spent a lot of time and money and choose to wait until tax returns to come in and buy things again. Generally, March in retail the soonest when activity picks back up.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Yeah but they are comparing Windows 8 to the release of Vista and 7. Vista and 7 did not have to
    compete against tablets like Windows 8 does. I think if the tablets of today were out when
    Vista and 7 were released, their numbers would not be where they are, either.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by orlandotek View Post
    Yeah but they are comparing Windows 8 to the release of Vista and 7. Vista and 7 did not have to
    compete against tablets like Windows 8 does. I think if the tablets of today were out when
    Vista and 7 were released, their numbers would not be where they are, either.
    Windows 8's being compared to 7, the fastest selling (and record selling) operating system Microsoft has ever released in their almost 40 years of existence. THAT context right there ALWAYS seems to fly over everyone's head. I have no idea why.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by orlandotek View Post
    Yeah but they are comparing Windows 8 to the release of Vista and 7. Vista and 7 did not have to
    compete against tablets like Windows 8 does. I think if the tablets of today were out when
    Vista and 7 were released, their numbers would not be where they are, either.
    I disagree. In terms of the tablet world, win8 is irrelevant. Nobody cares about it in a universe dominated by apple and android. 8's problems exist because they pissed all over their base... and their base pissed right back. It's a lesson that was hard won for them, and if there's anybody left there with a freakin clue, they will learn from it.

    Try to fool us again, however, would be a mistake.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Rickkins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by orlandotek View Post
    Yeah but they are comparing Windows 8 to the release of Vista and 7. Vista and 7 did not have to
    compete against tablets like Windows 8 does. I think if the tablets of today were out when
    Vista and 7 were released, their numbers would not be where they are, either.
    I disagree. In terms of the tablet world, win8 is irrelevant. Nobody cares about it in a universe dominated by apple and android. 8's problems exist because they pissed all over their base... and their base pissed right back. It's a lesson that was hard won for them, and if there's anybody left there with a freakin clue, they will learn from it.

    Try to fool us again, however, would be a mistake.
    Windows 8 in the tablet space isn't even really understood by anyone. The vast majority of PCs still are laptops, OEMs are starting to really emphasize tablets now. It'll happen, but as usual, at snail pace.

    Microsoft will still continue to push for tablets and the PC in general whether it's liked by you or anyone else. If those Update 1 screenshots are correct, they're still going to push for WinRT and the Windows Store and make it easier to go from a laptop to a tablet and so on and so forth.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Few Users Installed Windows 8/8.1 in January 2014
Related Threads
So my boss brought his laptop up for me to update for him. First thing was to update the apps, then go from 8 to 8.1. Did that with no hassle. Started checking MS update for 8.1.1 update (KB2919355) and it kept showing up to date, so I looked in "Installed Updates" to make sure I had KB2919442...
Because of a system defect I had to reset windows 8.1 to factory condition. After I re-install as admin user the Programs wiped off by System Reset some of them I cannot access from non-admin users, examples Skype, Dropbox. In the case of Skype I had to install the program three times, once...
Read more at: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms14-jan
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook