Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Despite Imminent Retirement, More Users Move to Windows XP

  1. #41


    Ohio
    Posts : 473
    Windows 8 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Some people don't have the money or the desire to upgrade their computer. I don't see where this makes them idiotic. I haven't found myself at a huge disadvantage because software vendors are holding back because people are way behind me.
    I agree--"idiotic" is a harsh word to use about someone that you know nothing about.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    I have both XP Home SP3 and Vista Ultimate running on my P4 desktop (2.8Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 256mb GeForce 5700) on separate drives, I just plug the drive I want, and go.

    The XP setup is OEM with all necessary drivers etc, and I've the latest(?) versions saved elsewhere. Same with Vista.

    They will both be remaining for the foreseeable future. Neither are connected to the internet.

    I also have XP Pro SP2 running on this machine in Virtual Box.

    It doesn't do any 'serious' work, it's mainly there as a plaything/curiosity, and to run the odd rare program that this Win 81. Pro setup won't.

    I see no reason at all to get rid of either. I can deal with any problems that arise, and I'm not too worried about lack of support. My NT4 setup isn't supported either, but still does its job.


    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    I have a 16 year old car that runs wonderfully. I love it despite the 'old technology'.

    I also have a 1 year old car with all the modern gizmos you can think of. I hate it even with the prestigious star in the front. I am on page 257 of the 583 page user manual. I wonder what all the things are I will discover next. And I have not even touched the 262 page user manual for the radio.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Some people don't have the money or the desire to upgrade their computer. I don't see where this makes them idiotic. I haven't found myself at a huge disadvantage because software vendors are holding back because people are way behind me.
    Oh my, I am so poor that it is just sickin' it is all I can do to put together enough money to buy. . .(fill in the blank.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Some people don't have the money or the desire to upgrade their computer. I don't see where this makes them idiotic. I haven't found myself at a huge disadvantage because software vendors are holding back because people are way behind me.
    Oh my, I am so poor that it is just sickin' it is all I can do to put together enough money to buy. . .(fill in the blank.
    It might be amusing to somebody from USA or some from "rich" countries but I assure you it's not the case in at least half the world. I have donated dozen of my old computers to people that can't afford ANY computer let alone to buy something new just to get away from Win XP. They are still happy to have ANY computer, even with "dead" XP. Two of them are getting internet connection from me (sharing WiFi bandwith) and I'm not about to stop servicing their machines or helping them either.
    I find any discrimination disgusting, including by financial status.

    Just a Serb.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post

    It might be amusing to somebody from USA or some from "rich" countries but I assure you it's not the case in at least half the world. I have donated dozen of my old computers to people that can't afford ANY computer let alone to buy something new just to get away from Win XP. They are still happy to have ANY computer, even with "dead" XP. Two of them are getting internet connection from me (sharing WiFi bandwith) and I'm not about to stop servicing their machines or helping them either.
    I find any discrimination disgusting, including by financial status.

    Just a Serb.
    +1 Sir, Very well said. You have my respect.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    USA, Idaho
    Posts : 1,062
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Some people don't have the money or the desire to upgrade their computer. I don't see where this makes them idiotic. I haven't found myself at a huge disadvantage because software vendors are holding back because people are way behind me.
    Oh my, I am so poor that it is just sickin' it is all I can do to put together enough money to buy. . .(fill in the blank.

    It might be amusing to somebody from USA or some from "rich" countries but I assure you it's not the case in at least half the world. I have donated dozen of my old computers to people that can't afford ANY computer let alone to buy something new just to get away from Win XP. They are still happy to have ANY computer, even with "dead" XP. Two of them are getting internet connection from me (sharing WiFi bandwidth) and I'm not about to stop servicing their machines or helping them either.
    I find any discrimination disgusting, including by financial status.

    Just a Serb.
    Please the old if your not from USA myth is also getting a little long in the tooth.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    OK, so I should include Canada too (lived there 25 years), France (3 years), Switzerland (1 year and have brother and his two sons there), I'm sure that there are some poor people there too. I used USA only because everybody is comparing themselves to USA. Nothing against USA (even after severe bombing in 1999), I assure you.
    Yes, people in poor countries are comparing their life with the life in USA and Americans should be proud of it but the ones that Have, should not laugh at "have-nots ", you never know what future may bring. Don't know how rich you are but unless you are richest in the world, there is always somebody that can do the same to you. Wish you the best.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Posts : 959
    Windows 8.1, 10


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    OK, so I should include Canada too (lived there 25 years), France (3 years), Switzerland (1 year and have brother and his two sons there), I'm sure that there are some poor people there too.
    I'm fortunate that I live in a relatively rich country, but even here there are people who can't afford to just go out and buy a new computer. However companies and the Government make it increasingly hard to live without a computer, as more and more services are moved online. For instance it's quite hard to find the cheapest supplier of electricity without a web browser, which means people without computers can lose out even more.

    That said, I have some sympathy for Microsoft. They've given people a lot of notice that support for XP will be withdrawn and I can see why they won't want to support it for ever, when the underpinnings are harder to make secure.

    I think the nearest to car analogy is that although that 16 year old car may still drive well, it is probably easier to steal than a new one. Sadly there are a lot of people in the online world who are happy to use weaknesses in insecure operating systems and steal from the likes of me or you. Where I am, online theft or fraud is probably more common than car theft these days.

    The trouble is that people who have older computers don't have an easy alternative if they want to keep running that old copy of Office or other Windows software.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    It is not only the question whether I do have the money to upgrade my 6 PCs, the question is whether I like to upgrade. My systems are on Windows 7 and Vista and I have 1 Windows 8.1 in virtual and 1 Windows 8.1 on a tablet. Whilst 8.1 is a fine system on the tablet, I would never install it on a desktop. The annoyances outweigh the advantages by far when compared to Windows 7.

    And for people that have been on XP for 10 years it is even tougher. The learning curve to 7 ot 8.1 is quite significant and I can understand why they don't want to move. If it works, why move. I think this malware scenario is highly exaggerated - probably pushed by MS to sponsor new business.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Despite Imminent Retirement, More Users Move to Windows XP
Related Threads
windows 8.1 on hdd move to ssd in Installation & Setup
Hey guys my old laptop just got blue screen of death and have now taken my 60gb sdd ocz agility 3 series out of it and want to put it in my pc. i currently have windows 8.1 pro installed on it and want to move my win 8.1 from hdd to sdd without having to use my key again because im sure that i can...
Move Windows 8 to another PC in Installation & Setup
Hi..this is my first post :)..I have a laptop that comes with windows 8 ..my question is can we move it to another pc?? cause i want to install w8 on my desktop..
Read more at: Windows 8.1 users: It's time to move to Windows 8.1 Update | ZDNet
Solved Move appdata folder all users in User Accounts and Family Safety
I have moved all of the user file from the c: on to any hard drive can move appdata folder as well also is there way new users file are automatically on the other drive
I've just built a new computer that has a 2nd hand HDD as the secondary drive. It was causing messages to appear like "Hard drive failure imminent - do you want to back up the drive". Since I was still setting up everything on the primary drive I disabled the messages by clicking "Do not show these...
Computerworld - Microsoft yesterday kicked off what it called a "two-year countdown" to the death of Windows XP, its longest-lived operating system. Windows XP and the business productivity suite Office 2003 both exit all support on April 8, 2014, a company spokeswoman said. more here:...
Windows 8 Beta Release imminent? | Windows 8 Center
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook