Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Despite Imminent Retirement, More Users Move to Windows XP

  1. #191


    Posts : 22
    windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by RommoR View Post
    What's the use of upgrading to a new OS if the PC with XP is still functioning properly just for occasional email and browsing with no sensitive data stored on the computer
    RommoR welcome to the site I was born in Philippines at Sangley Point Cavite. In my opinion a new OS allows a person to use and enjoy the internet in a manner that was intended, just like its also my opinion that even though most ppl think IE browser SUX it also the browser that developers had in mind when making a site for example, although I don't think its as true today as it once was with all the browsers now out there for speed and convenience. In general an older machine doesn't have the ROM,RAM, or larger disk drive that is often needed these days.You are of course correct if a person is completely satisfied with XP or any other OS there is no need to change. As you know XP is probably the most security vulnerable OS out there and its not just stealing your files they also wanna steal your bandwidth or use you as a "BOT" if possible. Hope this lets you see that there are many ways to look at this and what's right is what the user wants, likes, and is most comfortable using after having all the facts.
    MIKLO

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #192


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by dskiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    XP was (is) pretty sweet for a business environment. Including system controls like HVAC. I believe many companies have control systems dependent on XP.

    When I was still working for NavCanada years ago, XP was installed on the Maintenance terminals for a lot of our equipment at remote sites. Radar and TACAN. They were isolated from the Internet and used a dedicated line to the monitoring station. The maintenance software that ran on them was very proprietary. I do believe it communicated with the equipment over the serial port. There would be no advantage to replacing XP with something else in that situation. The PC hardware actually becomes the issue if it fails. We're talking old single core PC's here.

    I used machines with windows 95 for setting up programmable logic controllers.....


    actually that was back in 2001. but it still was a nightmare
    Our main communications system's maintenance terminal was an XT era PC running Windows 3.11. I'm sure its long gone by now, at least I hope so. That would have been around the same time frame 2000, 2001 or so. Its was outdated even before it went into service.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #193


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dskiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post


    When I was still working for NavCanada years ago, XP was installed on the Maintenance terminals for a lot of our equipment at remote sites. Radar and TACAN. They were isolated from the Internet and used a dedicated line to the monitoring station. The maintenance software that ran on them was very proprietary. I do believe it communicated with the equipment over the serial port. There would be no advantage to replacing XP with something else in that situation. The PC hardware actually becomes the issue if it fails. We're talking old single core PC's here.

    I used machines with windows 95 for setting up programmable logic controllers.....


    actually that was back in 2001. but it still was a nightmare
    Our main communications system's maintenance terminal was an XT era PC running Windows 3.11. I'm sure its long gone by now, at least I hope so. That would have been around the same time frame 2000, 2001 or so. Its was outdated even before it went into service.
    Oh you poor guys, I had to set programmable controllers from DOS, thru ladder diagrams, that and Unix being only options.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #194


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    I never got into anything like that. I cut my teeth on DOS and Windows 3.1. Then NT4 and win 2k workstation. Our maintenance software came with the equipment and was proprietary to that equipment. It's all equipment used in civil aviation here in Canada. Radar, Instrument Landing Systems, radio navigation and communications etc. All the ground based equipment an aircraft would use for navigation and communications. I did some basic circuit board design and fabrication but I never did any programing or code writing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #195


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I never got into anything like that. I cut my teeth on DOS and Windows 3.1. Then NT4 and win 2k workstation. Our maintenance software came with the equipment and was proprietary to that equipment. It's all equipment used in civil aviation here in Canada. Radar, Instrument Landing Systems, radio navigation and communications etc. All the ground based equipment an aircraft would use for navigation and communications. I did some basic circuit board design and fabrication but I never did any programing or code writing.
    Automatic machines and cad-cam is the reason I got into computers to start with, so had to do it anyway. CNC machines were all the rage than. In the early '80s we started adding digital controllers to replace old RLCs (Relay Logic Controls) on automatic machines which were controlled by dozens or even hundreds of relays with up to 12 NO/NC contacts and timers each and miles of wires which could take space of 2 to3 door large cabinets with much, much smaller CLCs (Computer Logic Controll) units. At first we had to punch in programs in those controllers with small, calculator like programators with buttons marked in Boolean but later on was able to program all machines from only one PC siting n the office.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #196


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #197


    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Yeah much easier than chasing wires going from contact to contact, from rely to relay, to micro switches to activators, valves or what not on a machine I didn't even have a schematic for. Two or 3 of (my favorite ) Omron C20 PLCs run for instance a 50 ton Boullard, six work station vertical lathe. Those C20s had 24 input, 24 output relays with 255 virtual timers and combinations were practically endless. One of them was the size of micro ATX computer case. 4 bit processors in them. Could transfer a program in to them from a cassette player.
    Cut down the time needed to reset machines to make another product by 90%. It was job for 3 people to reset that Boulard to make another type of disk brake rotor whole day (that was 5000 to 10000 units a day loss) but with PLCs it was job for one man for an hour and even that on account of changing tools and just few minutes to reprogram machine itself. That way only couple of hundred units of rotor production time was wasted. Just imagine this : Click image for larger version times 2 or 3, all reduced to size of micro ATX computer.
    This is that controller:
    Omron Sysmac C20 PLC | eBay
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #198


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Interesting story. I never worked with CNC machines, but tabulating machines were similar - 1000 wires all over. And the printers on early computers (end 50s/early 60s) used tabulating machines as printers. A real pain.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #199


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    We had 50 pair cables running from each rack of equipment to a intermediate distribution frame/rack. Interconnects from rack to rack were done in the IDF rack. Tons more wires in each rack linking equipment modules to each other. I did installation for a while and installed the cables and blocks and terminated the cables on the blocks. Then wired in all the interconnects. I started in 1980, there were lots of discreet components like relays etc on the go. Your OHM meter was your best friend.
    Last edited by alphanumeric; 22 Mar 2014 at 17:53.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #200


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Interesting story. I never worked with CNC machines, but tabulating machines were similar - 1000 wires all over.
    Well I guess we should all be thankful for the advent of PCs, made life much easier and productive. So when somebody complains of GUI "ugliness" it makes that complaint insignificant.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Despite Imminent Retirement, More Users Move to Windows XP
Related Threads
windows 8.1 on hdd move to ssd in Installation & Setup
Hey guys my old laptop just got blue screen of death and have now taken my 60gb sdd ocz agility 3 series out of it and want to put it in my pc. i currently have windows 8.1 pro installed on it and want to move my win 8.1 from hdd to sdd without having to use my key again because im sure that i can...
Move Windows 8 to another PC in Installation & Setup
Hi..this is my first post :)..I have a laptop that comes with windows 8 ..my question is can we move it to another pc?? cause i want to install w8 on my desktop..
Read more at: Windows 8.1 users: It's time to move to Windows 8.1 Update | ZDNet
Solved Move appdata folder all users in User Accounts and Family Safety
I have moved all of the user file from the c: on to any hard drive can move appdata folder as well also is there way new users file are automatically on the other drive
I've just built a new computer that has a 2nd hand HDD as the secondary drive. It was causing messages to appear like "Hard drive failure imminent - do you want to back up the drive". Since I was still setting up everything on the primary drive I disabled the messages by clicking "Do not show these...
Computerworld - Microsoft yesterday kicked off what it called a "two-year countdown" to the death of Windows XP, its longest-lived operating system. Windows XP and the business productivity suite Office 2003 both exit all support on April 8, 2014, a company spokeswoman said. more here:...
Windows 8 Beta Release imminent? | Windows 8 Center
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook