Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Despite Imminent Retirement, More Users Move to Windows XP

  1. #11


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Ummm...you can still use 7 if you want to. Or use 8 or 8.1 and do things with it to revert back to 7. That's not an excuse WHATSOEVER.
    Ridiculous.
    People should be forced to buy operating systems that have your stamp of approval?

    Believe it or not, some people don't like:
    • Vista
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 8.1

    The fact that they are installing XP indicates that they have install discs and product keys (legitimate or otherwise).

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    And you can say developers should write code for relevant platforms, but you can just say that. In reality, this is basically an impossibility. Microsoft can't develop IE 9/10/11 or xp because of the NT 5 kernel limitations and the way xp handles networking is so archaic compared to Windows vista even.
    That was a decision MS made to suit itself.
    MS developed IE9 and made sure it wouldn't work on XP to try to force people to upgrade to Windows 7.

    Google, Mozilla, Opera, etc. are able to create browsers that run on XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.
    Strange that MS is incapable of doing it (they wrote the OS).

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    They can't get Office 2013 easily able to be used on xp because of no SkyDrive support (cloud storage wasn't a thing in 2001) in system, and the way the OS handles program installations is just different than NT 6-6.2 kernel versions.
    That was another decision MS made to suit itself.
    Why does anyone need SkyDrive (OneDrive) to write Word documents or create Excel spreadsheets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    If it were that easy, it would have been done. But it's not that so cut and paste simple, that's why vista was made to address blatant security and certain performance flaws that STILL to this decade have barely been resolved or even yet to be patched. Obviously vista was a screw up, which is why they released Windows vista.1 and that fixed the main errors there.
    The story I read stated that the reason we got Vista, instead of Longhorn, was that when MS demonstrated it to a "select group" of people, they "freaked out" and as a result, MS hastily rewrote the entire thing and released it as Vista.

    Another story suggested that Intel insisted that MS lower Vista's stated "minimum system requirements" (to suit Intel's agenda).

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Some people don't have the money or the desire to upgrade their computer. I don't see where this makes them idiotic. I haven't found myself at a huge disadvantage because software vendors are holding back because people are way behind me.
    It's just not a proper thing to do. I can understand if people don't have the money to upgrade, that's a perfectly valid excuse. What I find idiotic are the people why do buy new hardware and use an old outdated operating system to run it, THAT to me is idiotic, having no desire or no money isn't a stupid reason. In a way, it's like coding for Windows Phone 7 when everyone uses 8. You're reaching a VERY minute user base for what? Just because they use it and will use it for however long they will even though there are several options to upgrade that have been there for at least a year if not more, let alone the other slew of options to come with 8.1. It just makes no sense to me.
    Well, I would have to assume that these people must have a personal reason for putting an old OS onto a new computer. I certainly haven't had any desire to run XP since Windows 7. So, they must have a reason if they are willing to put in the effort, find the drivers and forego new functionality from the newer OS's. Wonder if it's simple stuff like UAC that they dislike so much they won't use it at all. Oh well, if they can get the old OS onto their computers, they can probably live without support and can recover from their problems.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Posts : 902
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Ummm...you can still use 7 if you want to. Or use 8 or 8.1 and do things with it to revert back to 7. That's not an excuse WHATSOEVER.
    Ridiculous.
    People should be forced to buy operating systems that have your stamp of approval?

    Believe it or not, some people don't like:
    • Vista
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 8.1

    The fact that they are installing XP indicates that they have install discs and product keys (legitimate or otherwise).

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    And you can say developers should write code for relevant platforms, but you can just say that. In reality, this is basically an impossibility. Microsoft can't develop IE 9/10/11 or xp because of the NT 5 kernel limitations and the way xp handles networking is so archaic compared to Windows vista even.
    That was a decision MS made to suit itself.
    MS developed IE9 and made sure it wouldn't work on XP to try to force people to upgrade to Windows 7.

    Google, Mozilla, Opera, etc. are able to create browsers that run on XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.
    Strange that MS is incapable of doing it (they wrote the OS).

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    They can't get Office 2013 easily able to be used on xp because of no SkyDrive support (cloud storage wasn't a thing in 2001) in system, and the way the OS handles program installations is just different than NT 6-6.2 kernel versions.
    That was another decision MS made to suit itself.
    Why does anyone need SkyDrive (OneDrive) to write Word documents or create Excel spreadsheets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    If it were that easy, it would have been done. But it's not that so cut and paste simple, that's why vista was made to address blatant security and certain performance flaws that STILL to this decade have barely been resolved or even yet to be patched. Obviously vista was a screw up, which is why they released Windows vista.1 and that fixed the main errors there.
    The story I read stated that the reason we got Vista, instead of Longhorn, was that when MS demonstrated it to a "select group" of people, they "freaked out" and as a result, MS hastily rewrote the entire thing and released it as Vista.

    Another story suggested that Intel insisted that MS lower Vista's stated "minimum system requirements" (to suit Intel's agenda).

    Sometimes, I wish eight forums had a like button....
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Ummm...you can still use 7 if you want to. Or use 8 or 8.1 and do things with it to revert back to 7. That's not an excuse WHATSOEVER.
    Ridiculous.
    People should be forced to buy operating systems that have your stamp of approval?

    Believe it or not, some people don't like:
    • Vista
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 8.1

    The fact that they are installing XP indicates that they have install discs and product keys (legitimate or otherwise).

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    And you can say developers should write code for relevant platforms, but you can just say that. In reality, this is basically an impossibility. Microsoft can't develop IE 9/10/11 or xp because of the NT 5 kernel limitations and the way xp handles networking is so archaic compared to Windows vista even.
    That was a decision MS made to suit itself.
    MS developed IE9 and made sure it wouldn't work on XP to try to force people to upgrade to Windows 7.

    Google, Mozilla, Opera, etc. are able to create browsers that run on XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.
    Strange that MS is incapable of doing it (they wrote the OS).

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    They can't get Office 2013 easily able to be used on xp because of no SkyDrive support (cloud storage wasn't a thing in 2001) in system, and the way the OS handles program installations is just different than NT 6-6.2 kernel versions.
    That was another decision MS made to suit itself.
    Why does anyone need SkyDrive (OneDrive) to write Word documents or create Excel spreadsheets?

    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    If it were that easy, it would have been done. But it's not that so cut and paste simple, that's why vista was made to address blatant security and certain performance flaws that STILL to this decade have barely been resolved or even yet to be patched. Obviously vista was a screw up, which is why they released Windows vista.1 and that fixed the main errors there.
    The story I read stated that the reason we got Vista, instead of Longhorn, was that when MS demonstrated it to a "select group" of people, they "freaked out" and as a result, MS hastily rewrote the entire thing and released it as Vista.

    Another story suggested that Intel insisted that MS lower Vista's stated "minimum system requirements" (to suit Intel's agenda).
    Umm...no, where did I ever say I'm forcing anyone to buy anything that I approve of? Excuse me if I don't believe a 13 year old operating system shouldn't be bought or sold anymore when there is a proven version that more people use than anything combined as well as another that expands features of the last one even further.

    So let me ask you this, if you were the lead engineer in the Windows division, you would literally say to everyone, "Hey guys, let's take Windows xp, build it onto the NT 6 kernel, and sell it to everyone as the new Windows!" I don't know about you, but that's a HUGE waste of time and energy just to keep an operating system that was improved (to very limited extents) with vista and vastly improved with 7. There is no need for a "better" Windows xp, vista, 7, 8, and 8.1 are the "better" versions of xp.

    And besides, if you don't know the fact that IE is a different beast than chrome, firefox, safari, and opera by now; you should really do some research about how IE is a very deep system level component and not a side program that can just be loaded willy nilly just like that. Microsoft JUST recently fixed the svchost.exe issue in xp that slammed the CPU resources to 100% because there was an issue pertaining to Internet Explorer 8. Maybe Microsoft decided IE 9 shouldn't be made for xp to force people to switch, I don't blame them. They'd need to take an operating system where the Intel P4 processor was the i7 of the day and GPU acceleration was non-existent and build a system browser to use technology that the operating system can't properly support nor handle.

    As for OneDrive formally SkyDrive, no, you don't need it for Office documents, but people like me that have 60+ gigs of OneDrive storage where a vast majority of that is taken up by pictures as well as a backup method for my documents, that becomes a big deal of whether or not I can easily and efficiently access those files without using run-around solutions and methods.

    The well known story about vista and Longhorn was that when they were initially building Longhorn, they were still using xp and the NT 5 kernel as the base to build from as normal, but since the that kernel version dates back to pre-2000, all the technologies they were adding like file indexing, WinFS, Palladium security technology, major .NET enhancements, and libraries among other things; using xp as the base soon became known from the constant stream of milestone builds that it was terribly unstable, buggy, and required a high standard to even operate decently (part of which was later vista). Instead of using xp, they threw out Longhorn and built off Windows Server 2003 as it was found be to solid enough, and became vista. If you ever took a peak at the early vista builds, it was in fact Server 2003 and a new kernel revision being used.
    http://winsupersite.com/article/faqt...s-longhorn-faq
    On a side note, it's interesting how Windows 8 and Longhorn seem to have similar parallels such as, Longhorn would have been delivered to OEMs and consumers about a year later after xp's release because people didn't really care for xp at the time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15

    Why would I use OneDrive


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    As for OneDrive formally SkyDrive, no, you don't need it for Office documents, but people like me that have 60+ gigs of OneDrive storage where a vast majority of that is taken up by pictures as well as a backup method for my documents, that becomes a big deal of whether or not I can easily and efficiently access those files without using run-around solutions and methods.
    I fail to understand the usefulness of cloud storage, when I can use software like TeamViewer and access my computers from any where. I already have massive amounts of storage on my local machines.

    Plus, why would I trust any company with my personal data, and why would I add an additional monthly expense, just to rent space. What am I missing that makes the cloud so advantageous.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 376
    W8.1, W7


    ^^^
    What am I missing that makes the cloud so advantageous
    Their cloud (and windows 8), it's not designed to be advantageous to you, it's for Microsoft, dreaming of collecting lotsa cash and user information
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    Posts : 120
    Windows 8.1 + StartIsBack + AeroGlass


    Cloud storage can be convenient. I use to store it some of my electronic books, music, and the like. I just never keep anything personal on it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Move to XP, ? Where from ???
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Ocean Shores, WA
    Posts : 11
    Win 8.1 Pro and Win 8.1 RT


    Oh, man I tried so hard to stay out of this but keeping my mouth shut has never been a virtue of mine! I've got to agree with Coke Robot on this, especially in light of my own experiences in being the go-to computer guy for family, friends and colleagues alike. Even money isn't as much of a factor as it has been in versions past...look how much less expensive 8 is. In my opinion, it comes down to people getting so used to the way things have always been (can you imagine THAT user in DOS6 trying to figure out what IRQ the new printer is using?)...Win 8/1 is (or was) groundbreaking, forward thinking...and yes, people...DIFFERENT!


    But time and again I see those same people, after as little as a week or two not even realizing how much more adept they've become as an end user, because this OS has something none has before and that's an inherent sense of intuitiveness. If what worked in XP isn't there, just ask yourself, I tell folks, where SHOULD this feature be or how would you do _______ and 9 times out of 10, they're spot on. Change is good...lest we all would still be driving Pintos and wearing plaid pants!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by justmetoday View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    As for OneDrive formally SkyDrive, no, you don't need it for Office documents, but people like me that have 60+ gigs of OneDrive storage where a vast majority of that is taken up by pictures as well as a backup method for my documents, that becomes a big deal of whether or not I can easily and efficiently access those files without using run-around solutions and methods.
    I fail to understand the usefulness of cloud storage, when I can use software like TeamViewer and access my computers from any where. I already have massive amounts of storage on my local machines.

    Plus, why would I trust any company with my personal data, and why would I add an additional monthly expense, just to rent space. What am I missing that makes the cloud so advantageous.
    Why would I trust four hard drives of 3 TB+ per drive to hold some of my most valuable data? I don't, as that's why I like it so much and put a ring on it and back it up somewhere. Cloud storage at least with Microsoft means they have hard drives upon hard drives in RAID arrays on their giant servers somewhere where they, I think, have said they even store copies of your copy on them so in the event of their hard drives failing; there is still a copy retrievable (probably means they use Storage Spaces with the most redundant method with Windows Server). I could do that right now personally and throw things into a Storage Space pool, but then it means I ALWAYS have to have my main station running all day everyday in the off chance sometime in the week to access those files remotely. That means a monthly electric bill that is higher than I'd ever like it for something I'd need from time to time let alone the increased wear and tear on my hard drives.

    A yearly rent of 25 dollars for 50 gigs of cloud storage that I can access quite easily on my PC and Windows Phone without using remote desktop connections on a small screen, knowing that they simply have much vast resources than I do in keeping data stored, it's kind of a no-brainer. Keeping precious documents and pictures saved on cloud storage is better than having all methods of local storage die, get lost, or break down. Cloud is just another backup method.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Despite Imminent Retirement, More Users Move to Windows XP
Related Threads
windows 8.1 on hdd move to ssd in Installation & Setup
Hey guys my old laptop just got blue screen of death and have now taken my 60gb sdd ocz agility 3 series out of it and want to put it in my pc. i currently have windows 8.1 pro installed on it and want to move my win 8.1 from hdd to sdd without having to use my key again because im sure that i can...
Move Windows 8 to another PC in Installation & Setup
Hi..this is my first post :)..I have a laptop that comes with windows 8 ..my question is can we move it to another pc?? cause i want to install w8 on my desktop..
Read more at: Windows 8.1 users: It's time to move to Windows 8.1 Update | ZDNet
Solved Move appdata folder all users in User Accounts and Family Safety
I have moved all of the user file from the c: on to any hard drive can move appdata folder as well also is there way new users file are automatically on the other drive
I've just built a new computer that has a 2nd hand HDD as the secondary drive. It was causing messages to appear like "Hard drive failure imminent - do you want to back up the drive". Since I was still setting up everything on the primary drive I disabled the messages by clicking "Do not show these...
Computerworld - Microsoft yesterday kicked off what it called a "two-year countdown" to the death of Windows XP, its longest-lived operating system. Windows XP and the business productivity suite Office 2003 both exit all support on April 8, 2014, a company spokeswoman said. more here:...
Windows 8 Beta Release imminent? | Windows 8 Center
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook