Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux

  1. #81


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    ... Many things are easier in Linux than in Windows and there are the reverse cases of course too.

    We all hang on to windows because that is our home and we got used to the myriad of programs that we know and make our life easier. But that does not mean that similar equivalent programs are not available in Linux. We are probably just too comfy in our current role.
    Easier ? Depends on how you define easier. I always got the impression, what the hey, it's free, so ...
    I have the day off so I'll do a Sheldon Cooper and install a Laynux Partition .

    I don't see how clinging to setup.exe constitutes a comfy state. That seems easier to me.
    In fact, there is not a global alternative option for programs or drivers that are compatible with Linux.
    Most software vendors are not going to make their products compatible with Linux.

    As for this end user, I peruse the massive list of FREE Linux applications included.
    100% of them are unwanted. No Mozilla, Konqueror, Open Office, Crypto Imaging, XYZ Tools,
    Gimp - what's that?

    And for iconography, I am unimpressed with tiny untexted pictograms that are supposed to be identified.

    Attachment 42222

    ... We all hang on to windows because that is our home and we got used to the myriad of programs that we know and make our life easier. But that does not mean that similar equivalent programs are not available in Linux. We are probably just too comfy in our current role.
    Interesting. I think Apple fans would dispute all.

    the myriad of programs that we know and make our life easier
    ok. I am a fan of InstallShield.

    Too comfy? So we should be less comfy? Unless the Laynux distro is embedded, as in a phone or tablet,
    it's possible the only true imperative for its use is the FREE label.
    Of course Linux fans will always cling to the IQ level needed as a badge of honor.

    I like GParted.
    I don't think it is worth answering to that (my education prohibits me to spell out the word). You continue doing your thing and I do mine.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #82


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I don't think it is worth answering to that.
    Wow. I just re-read the thread topic article.
    Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux | ZDNet

    It's really quite revealing.
    And to stay on the thread topic,

    Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux
    Welcome to the Windows 8 Forums

    1) the start screen
    2) the apps screen
    3) zooming
    4) metro apps
    5) internet explorer

    take care.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #83


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    I don't see how clinging to setup.exe constitutes a comfy state. That seems easier to me.
    I think the "easier" part comes from the fact that with apt-get or yum you can easily add things, and any of their dependencies. For example, if you want a mysql server, you run, yum install mysql-server. Doesn't get much easier than that. With windows, you have to Google for mysql, download it, and then run the installer. Certainly not rocket science by any means, but a few more manual steps.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    As for this end user, I peruse the massive list of FREE Linux applications included.
    100% of them are unwanted. No Mozilla, Konqueror, Open Office, Crypto Imaging, XYZ Tools,
    Gimp - what's that?
    What's GIMP? A no cost alternative that is nearly as functional as Photoshop, but without the substantial cost. I honestly use Paint.NET on my Windows boxes to do my photo editing tasks as I cannot justify the cost of the Adobe products, nor do I have the artistic skill set to make use of the feature set anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Interesting. I think Apple fans would dispute all.

    I'm a newly initiated Apple user. After using Windows and Linux for many years, I decided to try out a MacBook Pro to see what all the fuss was about. Since I understand what "hype" is, I dispelled with all of the goofy stuff like "it never breaks", right at the get go. Thus far I'm pretty impressed with this device. It's fast, it's battery lasts a long time, the screen looks great, it comes out of sleep nearly instantly, and it provided me with a new learning experience....not to mention I get a Unix/Linux like command prompt for working under the hood when I want to. I don't really have any concerns about viruses and malware while on this device. It's certainly not without it's faults, and I'm not ready to abandon Windows and move completely to an Apple environment...but it's been a pleasant journey thus far. I guess I just like being out of my comfort zone. I considered getting a new Windows 8 laptop, but at the end of the day, it would have just been another computer, like my wife's computer, my kids computer, my work computer, and all of the work computers that I support...and it just seemed drab and boring. Really wanted something different.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #84


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    I think the "easier" part comes from the fact that with apt-get or yum you can easily add things, and any of their dependencies. For example, if you want a mysql server, you run, yum install mysql-server. Doesn't get much easier than that. With windows, you have to Google for mysql, download it, and then run the installer. Certainly not rocket science by any means, but a few more manual steps.
    cool. But still off topic.

    Words like apt-get or yum are alien. Then you add in dependencies, terminal, sudo, packages, oh oh!

    The article makes the thread topic quite plain.
    Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux | ZDNet

    In order to run a Microsoft database in Linux requires an emulator or other complex scenario.
    It all gets complicated. I have always had the view that Windows is a vulnerable computing tool
    so I would never define it as others have as a perfect system. (Windows 7)

    In terms of cost, it is frightening how much leverage Microsoft has on CALS.
    Even at Newegg, there are Server product structures that exceed $10,000
    And of course, there are Server farms into the millions.

    As far as Gimp goes, I was deflecting. There are dozens of free oddly named tools available.
    I don't need or want them. Free products are available across all platforms.
    I prefer setup.exe to the synaptic package manager.

    But again, on topic, I find the author's point of view to be accurate. thanks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #85


    Germany/Florida
    Posts : 4,514
    Vista and Win7


    Patrick, you are a very kind person responding to those unqualified comments. I did not think it was worth my time.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #86


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Welcome to the Windows 8 Forums.
    Specifically from the thread topic and article.
    Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux | ZDNet


    Reason #1: As soon as you mention one distro,
    all the fanboys go insane claiming you've made the wrong choice.

    Reason #2: For all of us who have lives, there's Windows.
    Reason #3: The aggressively nutball Linux community.
    Reason #4: Linux doesn't run many serious production applications
    Reason #5: Windows is just nicer

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #87


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Words like apt-get or yum are alien.
    Perhaps to a complete newbie. But if I say type, "yum install mysql-server", and you all of a sudden have an installed mysql-server, that's pretty sweet and all completed in exactly 1 step. On the flip side, you could more easily open explorer, navigate to Google, type in the URL, download the software, go to C:\users\downloads, double click on the .exe, click on Next, Next, Next, Next, Next, finish. As a Windows user, have you ever had to click on Start, Run and then type anything at all...like say msconfig, or %appdata%, or iexplore.exe?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Then you add in dependencies,
    Haven't you ever installed a piece of software in Windows that required the .NET Framework? I think most people have experienced having to install 1 piece of software that had a prerequisite on another piece of software. With Windows, you get to manually go out and find the required dependency. With apt-get or yum install, it happens automatically, without you even having to know what the dependencies are.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    terminal,
    Start, run, cmd. Familiar at all with PowerShell? Any Windows enthusiast would have extensive experience with either of these. If you are using the Windows GUI to complete every and all tasks, you are really shorting yourself from being able to more effiiciently and effectively complete tasks.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    sudo,
    UAC????? Most Windows users are quite familiar with these popups, and for those who have used LUA in the past (child account/family safety) are quite familiar with getting prompted for an admin account and a password.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    packages,
    You say setup.exe, I say packages. Not rocket science.


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    In terms of cost, it is frightening how much leverage Microsoft has on CALS.
    Even at Newegg, there are Server product structures that exceed $10,000
    And of course, there are Server farms into the millions.
    Absolutely true, Microsoft products can be outrageously expensive, especially when compared to some of the industry standard linux equivalents. Most ISP's don't run Windows based DHCP servers, DNS servers, mail servers, etc.

    At my company, we use some MS products, but we don't use them extensively. It's imperative for an IT techie to have experience outside of the Microsoft realm in order to know what else is available out there and be able to install and support it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #88


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Reason #1: As soon as you mention one distro,
    all the fanboys go insane claiming you've made the wrong choice.
    Use the right tool for the job. No one distro is the right choice for all tasks. Use what works for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Reason #2: For all of us who have lives, there's Windows.
    And some would argue, if you want even easier yet, just use Apple.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Reason #3: The aggressively nutball Linux community.
    Yes, there are many passionate people out there. However, when you are supporting a piece of software and find the lead programmer in the forums talking with you, it's awesome compared to calling Microsoft and paying out the ass for a per incident problem and talking to god knows who was assigned to your case.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Reason #4: Linux doesn't run many serious production applications
    It's sad to not see people using more of the desktop linux apps. But many people will simply PIRATE the Adboe products. I wonder how many would actually pony up the money to pay for these products that they love so much. Because at the server level, the industry standard is a Linux app. For internet email, it's sendmail. For DNS, it's BIND. For web servers, it's Apache and Tomcat. For the overwhelming number of blogs and forums, it's a mysql backend. If it's a DHCP server from your ISP, it sure isn't running on Windows. Probably not going to find a lot of production FTP servers running IIS. Some of the smaller websites on the net, like Netflix, Facebook, and WordPress use nginx... and it's not on Windows servers.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Reason #5: Windows is just nicer
    Yes, because not having media to reinstall your OS is awesome. And having to input a 25 digit code to install is sweet. Having to call the 1-800 number to activate your software again is fun, especially when you get to input the long 9 section installing ID. Having to constantly run an AV and malware suite is everyone's idea of a fun Friday night. It's not all sunshine and rainbows.


    At the end of the day, I'm a Windows desktop user. I support Windows boxes at work, I have Windows boxes at home. For gaming, it's really only on a Windows box. But I can see both sides of the story, I can see the high costs of Windows, and a I also have worked my entire professional life for software development companies and because of this, I don't believe in pirating of software. If a free open source alternative is not available, but a commercial app exists that I truly feel does the job better, I pay for it. I paid for 3 copies of Start 8 for my home computers. I paid for a 3 pack of Paragon Backup and Restore for my Windows 8 boxes at home. All of my copies of Windows are 100% legit.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #89


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Is there any chance to stay on topic?
    I am not really interested in the Linux Operating System.
    I think this is the Windows 8 Forums.

    1) Anyway, once there was a next and then there was a finish.
    2) Linux dependencies could require a dozen addons.
    3) The video says it all for me, "real men use the command line" ha, ha.
    4) Don't care about PowerShell.
    5) I don't even care what SUDO means.
    6) Package issues are addressed in the article.
    7) I am currently a member of the Windows 8 Forum. Don't care about distro discussions.
    8) After spending about $5000 on tech education in the 1990's, I quit. Too expensive to keep up.
    9) I achieved MCSE, MCP, A+, NET+, BSCS and wrote programs in Pascal, Assembly, COBOL, RPG, C, and BASIC.
    10) I discovered the more you know, the more you don't know. Life is not a television show.


    Personally I would like to talk about Windows 8.
    There are other forums for Linux, right? take care.

    Perhaps you could respond to the article rather than me. I am not the thread topic!
    Best of IT Luck to you!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #90


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Is there any chance to stay on topic?
    I am not really interested in the Linux Operating System.
    I think this is the Windows 8 Forums.
    But it's a thread discussing Windows and Linux. So, obviously there is going to be banter here about Linux. If you only want to hear about Windows 8, there are plenty of other threads.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    4) Don't care about PowerShell.
    You should. Do you realize that many of the server products are scaling back the GUIs and making Powershell management a requirement? Many things that you "used' to be able to do in Exchange server GUI, have been eliminated. It's all done via powershell these days.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    4Don't care about distro discussions.
    Quite odd, since you are posting in this thread. I think a proper discussion of anything requires a discussion of alternatives, and pros and cons. Thus, Apple and Linux will and should come up in a Windows forum. If it doesn't, it's like sticking your head in the sand and pretending it doesn't exist.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    8) After spending about $5000 on tech education in the 1990's, I quit. Too expensive to keep up.
    Yeah, many of my certs stopped after I had kids. It's not only a lack of money, but a lack of quality time.

    QUOTE=mdmd;374818]Perhaps you could respond to the article rather than me. I am not the thread topic!
    Best of IT Luck to you![/QUOTE] No, you aren't the topic, but you are the one responding at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's nice to be able to chat and exchange ideas.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux
Related Threads
Linux Professional Institute puts Linux in the classrooms | ZDNet
Five reasons Windows 8.1 is a winner | Computerworld Blogs
At least Ed Bott is optimistic for the desktop, Ed Bott is a well respected journalist and he seems to be optimistic that the desktop is not going to disappear. That, at least, is comforting. Read more at source: Five reasons why the Windows desktop isn't going away | ZDNet
More a list of killer features that are a big improvement over windows 7. I loved windows 7 and hats the idea of win8 and struggled with it to begin with but it's better in many ways.. 1. Super fast boot. My PC starts up in about 12 seconds and the sleep mode is instant to resume. Very handy! ...
Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed | ZDNet
7 Reasons Windows 8 RT was DOA
Read more at source: 7 reasons why Windows RT works | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews See also: https://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/10363-top-10-biggest-drawbacks-windows-rt.html
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook