Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux

  1. #11


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8


    Okay, I've only just joined this forum coz my Windows 8 laptop has been hanging on 'Keep your PC plugged in until this is done. Installing update 3 of 4' for over 5 hours. I've recently borrowed an old laptop to try out Xubuntu 13.10. Good job I did, considering the apparent borkage with my W8 machine, otherwise I'd have difficulty trying to find a solution.

    In the short period of time I've had this loaned machine some updates have come through. They seemed to fly in with no restart and no hanging.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 29
    Manjaro Linux/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS/Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by BloatDodger View Post
    Okay, I've only just joined this forum coz my Windows 8 laptop has been hanging on 'Keep your PC plugged in until this is done. Installing update 3 of 4' for over 5 hours. I've recently borrowed an old laptop to try out Xubuntu 13.10. Good job I did, considering the apparent borkage with my W8 machine, otherwise I'd have difficulty trying to find a solution.

    In the short period of time I've had this loaned machine some updates have come through. They seemed to fly in with no restart and no hanging.
    You can use the graphical update manager on xubuntu or push ctrl + alt + t which will pull up the terminal then type:

    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

    you will be prompted for your password and then it will update.

    simple ways: to install software with linux terminal

    sudo apt-get install __________

    sudo apt-get install vlc

    sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

    chromium is the open source version of google chrome.

    I prefer this method to the graphical method because it is faster.


    Sometimes you will need to install a ppa repository such as vlc daily

    the command is:

    sudo add-apt-repository ________________

    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/master-daily

    push enter

    then

    sudo apt-get update

    then

    sudo apt-get install vlc



    I also reccomend installing gdebi package manager:

    sudo apt-get install gdebi

    or go to the ubuntu software center and search gdebi
    Last edited by SteamGamer; 29 Jan 2014 at 11:40.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)


    Quote Originally Posted by SteamGamer View Post
    Most Windows programs will work on Linux with Wine. Wine is a windows compatibility layer that will run any Microsoft Office, games, etc..

    Wine will run Sand-boxed so if it becomes infected by a windows virus you can simply delete it, leaving your Linux box unaffected.

    IMO, if you have a valid Windows license and install disc, you are better off creating a Windows VM.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteamGamer View Post
    Easily install ubuntu with Graphical User Interface.

    I notice they "gloss over" the
    most confusing part of the install (Step 4), setting the location of "/".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 29
    Manjaro Linux/Ubuntu 12.04 LTS/Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteamGamer View Post
    Most Windows programs will work on Linux with Wine. Wine is a windows compatibility layer that will run any Microsoft Office, games, etc..

    Wine will run Sand-boxed so if it becomes infected by a windows virus you can simply delete it, leaving your Linux box unaffected.

    IMO, if you have a valid Windows license and install disc, you are better off creating a Windows VM.

    Quote Originally Posted by SteamGamer View Post
    Easily install ubuntu with Graphical User Interface.

    I notice they "gloss over" the
    most confusing part of the install (Step 4), setting the location of "/".

    First comment response: How about using virtualbox to Install windows within Ubuntu.

    Second comment response:
    In linux you need a /root partion /home partition and a swap partition. These are configured automatically if you choose to make a full Ubuntu install or if you have enough space to install it alongside Windows.

    If you did want to manually configure your partitions and dual boot then watch this youtube video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK7gWIkAY7s

    Go to your partition manager on windows and shrink some space for an install or use gparted on the ubuntu live dvd or flash drive.


    Here is a funny video of a systems administrators reaction to windows 8
    Last edited by SteamGamer; 28 Jan 2014 at 22:21.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    And that's an "Administrator" ??? I would not let him administer my non-smart phone !!!
    Anyway there is really no alternative to windows for me at least (wish there was a viable one ) because Macintosh is way out of my reach or would have to change Linux distros very often just to have some half-coocked applications to do everything or close to I can do on Windows OS. Could you imagine the outcry if there were hundreds of windows distros and you have to choose only one or two of them ?
    There is some use for Linux but just for limited tasks for not very demanding users or some Linux variations for serious networking and servers but they are for most part free and are not suitable for everybody.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    I think it is slightly more than some use. What do you think is in your tv, washing machine, car, and other things you interact with every day, Google, Amazon etc. Nasa wouldn't get far without it. It also powers the most popular mobile os.

    There is just the small area of the desktop where it doesn't have much presence.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #17


    I had a old pc that was unsuable with xp. I flush the HDD and install Ubuntu 12.04, it run faster than the dual core mac mini. It's a nice machine now with Ubuntu. I had a audio card, SB live that did not have driver for win 7-8. Ubuntu had drivers for it. I wish I knew Ubuntu before.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #18


    Posts : 34
    Win7


    Quote Originally Posted by CapFlam128 View Post
    I had a old pc that was unsuable with xp. I flush the HDD and install Ubuntu 12.04, it run faster than the dual core mac mini. It's a nice machine now with Ubuntu. I had a audio card, SB live that did not have driver for win 7-8. Ubuntu had drivers for it. I wish I knew Ubuntu before.
    I had the same experience with an old a Windows 7 laptop for my sister. The whole thing was messed up because of viruses. She wiped it and reinstalled Windows 7 but was missing all her drivers. Just to show her I plugged in a thumb drive with Linux Mint on it. In 5 minutes I wiped the disk (she had already wiped it so she had nothing) and installed Linux Mint 16. It recognized all her hardware, loaded the proper drivers and it works better than ever. She actually prefers Linux Mint to a Windows 7 and she doesn't hassle me anymore...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #19


    Posts : 4
    Windows 8


    Does anyone think the level of NTFS fragmentation is a good idea, when compared to ext4?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #20


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    My question is, Windows has been around for over 20 years and YET there isn't one solid Linux distro that can actually meet or exceed the whole capabilities of Windows? If anything, it's not Microsoft's fault, it's the fault of people that feel like they should band together and do something about it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux
Related Threads
Linux Professional Institute puts Linux in the classrooms | ZDNet
Five reasons Windows 8.1 is a winner | Computerworld Blogs
At least Ed Bott is optimistic for the desktop, Ed Bott is a well respected journalist and he seems to be optimistic that the desktop is not going to disappear. That, at least, is comforting. Read more at source: Five reasons why the Windows desktop isn't going away | ZDNet
More a list of killer features that are a big improvement over windows 7. I loved windows 7 and hats the idea of win8 and struggled with it to begin with but it's better in many ways.. 1. Super fast boot. My PC starts up in about 12 seconds and the sleep mode is instant to resume. Very handy! ...
Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed | ZDNet
7 Reasons Windows 8 RT was DOA
Read more at source: 7 reasons why Windows RT works | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews See also: https://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/10363-top-10-biggest-drawbacks-windows-rt.html
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook