Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux

  1. #91


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Wow. I thought this thread was closed. Oh well,

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Perhaps you could respond to the article rather than me. I am not the thread topic!
    Best of IT Luck to you!
    No, you aren't the topic, but you are the one responding at the moment. Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's nice to be able to chat and exchange ideas.
    I got nervous when my "posted by mdmd" was attributed to the reasons as described by the author.

    Sometimes the views unfold without reference to the author of the article.
    The author was making the case, not I. My postings were attempting to list 5 reasons I prefer.
    My wish going forward would be that views address the article's reasoning, not little old me.

    Quite odd, since you are posting in this thread. I think a proper discussion of anything requires a discussion of alternatives, and pros and cons. Thus, Apple and Linux will and should come up in a Windows forum. If it doesn't, it's like sticking your head in the sand and pretending it doesn't exist.
    I disagree with this reasoning. Analysis of how Linux works is a cryptic bore fest.
    Why not just declare UNIX superior to NT and be done with it.

    A proper discussion usually means referring to the original post topic and referenced article.

    Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux | ZDNet

    In any event, it is unnecessary to dismiss people, as described in the article, Linux Geeks tend to be rude.
    I will attempt to withdraw and end my participation here before it gets to banned
    Good Night!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #92


    Posts : 25
    Windows 8.1.1


    Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to respond, it's nice to be able to chat and exchange ideas.
    Those taking part most prolifically in threads about platforms already have entrenched views and no amount of exchanging ideas will lead to a change of mind. Many reading the thread will already have their minds made up too. I don't think I've ever seen a case where someone with strong views says, "You are right, I'm going to change platform as soon as possible".



    However, maybe a proportion of thread readers could be swayed one way or another because of points and information posted. So a thread about this topic probably serves a purpose in that respect.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #93


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Hi there

    Reading through this thread I get the opposite sense -- although few people will be prepared to SWITCH platforms completely the consensus seems to be that these days Linux IS far simpler and can do some things really well (and easily) and there is an excellent case for using BOTH systems where convenient - Windows and Linux.

    IMO that's the SENSIBLE view -- use the BEST, CHEAPEST and MOST APPROPRIATE TOOLS for the job.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #94


    For me, there was never Windows vs. Linux, it's AND in between. Both of them have pros and cons and have their place. It's just the question of being able to use two or more OSs, or chew gum and......
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #95


    Well, you can only use 1 as main os, you can use another for experiments, but using both is like chewing 2 different gums at the same time without mixing it - you can do it, but its useless. And its not just linux fans that tend to be rude, its the human race on the internet in general - if you tell them the truth, and if they dont know it, they tend to rage very hard. Its hard to discuss anything on the internet, because people there act like the best things are things that they use.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #96


    Hafnarfjörður IS
    Posts : 4,376
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10


    Quote Originally Posted by nonono View Post
    Well, you can only use 1 as main os, you can use another for experiments, but using both is like chewing 2 different gums at the same time without mixing it - you can do it, but its useless. And its not just linux fans that tend to be rude, its the human race on the internet in general - if you tell them the truth, and if they dont know it, they tend to rage very hard. Its hard to discuss anything on the internet, because people there act like the best things are things that they use.
    Hi there

    I don't follow your logic -- if you were say a builder or an Engineer would you only use ONE tool or would you pick from a set and use the most appropriate for the job.

    Same wilh OS'es --of course it's actually quite easy to run concurrent OS'es (ever heard of Virtual Machines ? ) or even run several computers (like picking tools from different toolboxes).

    Even if you don't run them at the same time - you can still do one set of things using OS A and then re-boot and do the other set of things using OS B.

    Like driving a Car and a 4WD -- use the 4WD off road or for humping supplies to isolated country properties off main roads etc and for shopping, school runs, commuting etc use the standard car.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #97


    But you cannot drive both cars at the same time. And vm's are too slow - it requires ferrari, if you want to run vw golf, but why would i want golf, if i already have ferrari ? And you could do even bigger orgy - you could include some NOTmobile phones, some cloud computing and run every step of your work in a different environment, but whats the point of that ?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #98


    Linux Live distros, best thing after sliced bread. I'm using it for troubleshooting and saving files from otherwise unreachable systems. Don't have to install on HDD or bather with dual booting or VMs. Also nice to run on other machines with tools you need, also god for going to "shady places " on internet. Could be run with public networks where you can catch all kinds of nasty stuff or have your computer broken in to.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #99


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    I disagree with this reasoning. Analysis of how Linux works is a cryptic bore fest.
    I have no issues if Linux isn't your cup of tea and doesn't serve any purpose to you. For many others, it's simply an option...one that they may check out someday. Fortunately, there are some of us who do use and support both platforms and can offer advice and assistance in the event that they want to try something out. Having some skills on how it works can come in handy. For example, I have young kids who can get themselves into quite a bit of trouble surfing the web on a Windows box and installing junk...without any idea of what they are doing. Put them on a Linux box and 99% of these accidental downloads and drive by downloads simply goes away. This is no way means surfing on a Linux box is always superior to using Windows. But in this particular case, it can prove a better option. And with 0 license costs or install restrictions, i've got nothing to lose but a little time. And with so many distros available, you can bail on one and move to the next when you cannot get something to work. Again, it's options.


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Why not just declare UNIX superior to NT and be done with it.
    Because that's a very silly argument. One that I would never make, and don't make. Use the right tool for the job, I've said it numerous times.

    I'm on a Windows 8 forum because I use and support Windows 8. In the areas I have it installed, it's working very well. Sure, i've made a few simple changes to make it suit the way that I work. I don't use the new UI apps at all, my start screen almost never appears, I don't use the Charms bar unless utterly necessary...but that's all fine because those are options which are available.

    However, I also have a MacBook pro that is my most recent purchase. About 6 weeks old at this point. There are some really nice things that I like on this platform that the other platforms haven't nailed down as nicely. Instant on/off sleep is very important for me here. I keep this laptop around for jumping on the net, checking my forums, using Facebook, etc. It's on as fast as my cellphone. For what i want a laptop at home for, this is perfect. But it's not all sunshine and rainbows. The Mac is far from perfect, and for many, it can be too costly. My biggest gripe is that the hardware itself is too limited. You don't have a lot of choices when it comes to picking up a Mac. Fortunately, they had a model that offered the features that I wanted at a price I was willing to pay. No regrets thus far. But I'm not saying, "everybody should switch to Apple". I'm not saying, "I'm done with Windows and have seen the light and am going Mac". Again, right tool for the right job.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    A proper discussion usually means referring to the original post topic and referenced article.

    Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux | ZDNet
    But forums always goes on tangents and off topics. It's just the nature of the beast. We all make our comments and then respond to the comments made by others. As long as nobody personally attacks others or gets personally invested and gets their feelings hurt, I have no issues at all with this. It's what is great about these forums, people keep a level head and stay civil. And when they don't they are bounced out.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    In any event, it is unnecessary to dismiss people, as described in the article, Linux Geeks tend to be rude.
    I will attempt to withdraw and end my participation here before it gets to banned
    Good Night!
    The Linux community does tend to be more snarky, more RTFM, and more high and mighty. It's a sad fact, as this does turn off many people who otherwise look at the platform. But on the flip side, it's people who "Are" managing to do what they need with an alternative platform, and a platform that many on other platforms says is completely not possible. So, some of the attitude comes with the territory. For many a Linux user, it's taken some reading, experimentation and many trials and errors. Some things might not be as simple as within Windows. But some have philosophical problems with Microsoft business practices, or don't agree with licensing, don't have the funds to pay for their software, don't want to be hold "how it has to be", and for them there is a very capable open platform that can be heavily modified to suit their needs. Is it for everybody? Of course not. I've never said it was. But for some, the effort is worth the reward.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #100


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Linux Live distros, best thing after sliced bread. I'm using it for troubleshooting and saving files from otherwise unreachable systems. Don't have to install on HDD or bather with dual booting or VMs. Also nice to run on other machines with tools you need, also god for going to "shady places " on internet. Could be run with public networks where you can catch all kinds of nasty stuff or have your computer broken in to.
    Perfect example, of right tool for the right job. You aren't saying, it's gotta be one of the other. Having a choice, and being able to use that choice can come in handy.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Five reasons I'd rather run Windows 8 than Linux
Related Threads
Linux Professional Institute puts Linux in the classrooms | ZDNet
Five reasons Windows 8.1 is a winner | Computerworld Blogs
At least Ed Bott is optimistic for the desktop, Ed Bott is a well respected journalist and he seems to be optimistic that the desktop is not going to disappear. That, at least, is comforting. Read more at source: Five reasons why the Windows desktop isn't going away | ZDNet
More a list of killer features that are a big improvement over windows 7. I loved windows 7 and hats the idea of win8 and struggled with it to begin with but it's better in many ways.. 1. Super fast boot. My PC starts up in about 12 seconds and the sleep mode is instant to resume. Very handy! ...
Five reasons why Windows 8 has failed | ZDNet
7 Reasons Windows 8 RT was DOA
Read more at source: 7 reasons why Windows RT works | Windows 8 - CNET Reviews See also: https://www.eightforums.com/windows-8-news/10363-top-10-biggest-drawbacks-windows-rt.html
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook