Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Windows 8's complexity tax shackles Microsoft

  1. #1

    Windows 8's complexity tax shackles Microsoft


    Computerworld - Complexity may be Windows' downfall, and Microsoft has not only failed to address the problem, but exacerbated it by shipping the dual-threat, two-UI Windows 8, analysts contended.

    "Windows 8 is massively more complex [than its predecessors]," Ben Thompson, an independent analyst who covers technology from his Stratechery.com website, said in an interview. "It's mentally taxing to use, and a classic example of something borne of strategic need as opposed to an understanding of user needs."
    Windows 8's complexity tax shackles Microsoft - Computerworld

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Hm, I'm not sure I'd call it taxing to use, not for the everyday stuff anyway. Some of the settings and configuration options can be a PITA to find though for first time users. I do think they should have refined 8 more before releasing it. Some of what's in 8.1 should have been in 8.0 from the start. If your one of those that h8ts Metro its of little consequence to you though. There are a few of use that do like it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Really? Windows is soooo Complex, OMG, I can't hardly click on an icon it's soooooo hard to comprehend.
    uhg, I just can stand these icons that are the same on every modern OS on the planet. But soooooo complex on Windows
    How do I click this frigin Windows ICON?
    Oh cool, I do the same click action on ChomeOS and wow, my app opens, that is friggin awesome.
    So much easier than clicking an icon on Windows.

    How did I ever manage with Windows Complexity for soooooo looooooonnnnnggggg.

    Can these articles get any more Blatant (Paid article by ChromeOS)?
    Let's throw in a small good measure at the end just to not seem so obvious,,, oh,, 3 pages in.

    Wondering how much they got from Chrome for that article Advertisement.



    Paradoxically, the fact the new entrant has less-than-desired performance makes it even better from a user experience standpoint. And, when the performance gets close enough, that user experience advantage makes it an obvious choice over a higher-end product that does more, in every sense of the word."
    Wow, can anyone make something of Low Grade, do less product sound soooooo appealing?
    The blatant misinformation in this article is astounding.

    So, let me get this straight, consumers want lower end, less efficient, do less, toys?

    FUD.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post

    So, let me get this straight, consumers want lower end, less efficient, do less, toys?

    FUD.
    Yep they seem to be buying Android Tablets.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 6,490
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit


    Quote Originally Posted by labeeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post

    So, let me get this straight, consumers want lower end, less efficient, do less, toys?

    FUD.

    Yep they seem to be buying Android Tablets.
    It seems to me that the younger generation just want something that works. If all your doing is Facebook, Yahoo and Hotmail and all you have to do it poke this icon that's what they buy. Tech Enthusiasts and IT types are more demanding and more hands on getting into the nuts and bolts of things. PC gamers likely fit into that too. My wife and daughter fit into the social media it doesn't matter what it is type. As long as they can access Facebook etc it doesn't matter if its Windows or Android or whatever. They could car less about device manger, control panel etc. That's what I'm for when it won't work. I'm a gamer and I build my own desktop pc's. I'm picky about what I buy for a laptop and what OS is on it. I'll tell you right now if my wife had to snake her way though the Windows 7 start menu to launch her programs she would have a fit. I had to pin it all to the taskbar and make Facebook her home page. She had no problems with Windows 8 though once I replaced the Metro IE to the desktop version. Different strokes for different folks.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    Quote Originally Posted by Tepid View Post
    Really? Windows is soooo Complex, OMG, I can't hardly click on an icon it's soooooo hard to comprehend.
    uhg, I just can stand these icons that are the same on every modern OS on the planet. But soooooo complex on Windows
    How do I click this frigin Windows ICON?
    Oh cool, I do the same click action on ChomeOS and wow, my app opens, that is friggin awesome.
    So much easier than clicking an icon on Windows.

    How did I ever manage with Windows Complexity for soooooo looooooonnnnnggggg.

    Can these articles get any more Blatant (Paid article by ChromeOS)?
    Let's throw in a small good measure at the end just to not seem so obvious,,, oh,, 3 pages in.

    Wondering how much they got from Chrome for that article Advertisement.



    Paradoxically, the fact the new entrant has less-than-desired performance makes it even better from a user experience standpoint. And, when the performance gets close enough, that user experience advantage makes it an obvious choice over a higher-end product that does more, in every sense of the word."
    Wow, can anyone make something of Low Grade, do less product sound soooooo appealing?
    The blatant misinformation in this article is astounding.

    So, let me get this straight, consumers want lower end, less efficient, do less, toys?

    FUD.
    Give me a break. By far the vast majority of computer users neither have, nor want, your alleged superior knowledge of all things computer. They just want something that's easy for them to use for what they want to do. How many drivers actually know how the engine in their car works? I can tell you, it's not many. They just want their car to start and run.

    I am far from a clueless beginner. The first computer I operated and programmed was the size of a refrigerator and booted with a paper tape. My first "PC" was an Apple II, and I've been using, programming, and modifying them ever since. Guess what?? I HATE Windows 8. I HATE the newest versions of MS Office with the stupid ribbon. I HATE touch screens. The list goes on. When I buy a tool, I'm not interested in all the possible esoteric things it can be made to do; I just want it to be easy to use for what I bought it for. Buying a new PC these days is like having to learn to drive all over again every time you buy a car. It shouldn't be that way.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    Quote Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
    Buying a new PC these days is like having to learn to drive all over again every time you buy a car.
    It shouldn't be that way.
    lol. I was at Best Buy last night to buy a small monitor and noticed a group of people sitting in chairs while being instructed how to use an Apple computer. It was a group Apple (how to use it) session!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 835
    Win 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
    Buying a new PC these days is like having to learn to drive all over again every time you buy a car.
    It shouldn't be that way.
    lol. I was at Best Buy last night to buy a small monitor and noticed a group of people sitting in chairs while being instructed how to use an Apple computer. It was a group Apple (how to use it) session!

    Actually, yes it should, and more.
    There should a be a requirement to have a Computer User License (Like a DL) to ask/request support of any kind.
    If you don't know what a Right Click is. Sorry, you are out of luck, I am not going to train you to support you.
    If you want/need training, I will provide that, but it will be a nominal fee of course.
    Then I will provide you support, again, for an additional nominal fee of course.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Posts : 86
    Windows 8.1 Pro & OS X Mavericks


    You do have to admit that there are many and I mean many people who do not care what a computer has. For example, people who are not into computers and look at the specs, they're gonna be reading it like gibberish talk. If you say, "It's got an Intel Core i5 processor with hyper threading blah blah" the person is just gonna ask you if its fast or not lol. Since the Start menu was a Windows iconic feature, people will freak out because its not there. Everybody got used to it, including myself.

    But you have to realize that a laptop and a desktop computer was meant for precision when working with programs, hence mouse and keyboard. There is no need for the tablet interface on a Windows computer. Why stick it in there when you know its not a touch device?

    I like how Apple is keeping its desktop interface on their computers. If it works, why change it? You can make improvements to make things faster under the hood, but only change the interface if its really necessary.

    Microsoft made Windows 8 because they had no tablets and they needed to compete with iPad and Android. Windows 8 was probably not even in their vision because if it was, it would have been a natural progression, not two interfaces in one OS.

    Why didn't Microsoft rewrite Windows for touch computers? Why wasn't there a Metro office experience since the beginning? Microsoft is just following and well now they made a frankenstein of Windows.

    This is why people are complaining. They went from a classic Windows experience to shoving Metro that has no use in the laptop and desktop world.

    If people want to simply look at their email or use Facebook, where do they go? They go to their phones and tablets. Simple tasks can be done easily on these devices, that's what they were made for. (The Windows desktop on a tablet is a joke, so much for making it easier). I'm not sure but all I can say is that Microsoft is lost.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Posts : 1,320
    Server 2012 / 8.0


    There is no need for the tablet interface on a Windows computer
    I like it.

    ...now they made a frankenstein of Windows.
    What? Really?

    Click image for larger version
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows 8's complexity tax shackles Microsoft
Related Threads
Read more at: How the 'One Microsoft' mission is changing Microsoft Research | ZDNet
Read more at: Microsoft to rebrand 'Windows Azure' as 'Microsoft Azure' | ZDNet
Password Complexity in User Accounts and Family Safety
I have the Local security policy settings with complexity disabled but when I try to set up a new account I still get the guff about requiring 8+ chars, upper case and numbers. How can I get this removed please. Pieter
Read more at: Microsoft inches closer to a unified Windows and Windows Phone Store | ZDNet
Read more at source: Microsoft's Lync and OneNote apps for Windows 8, Windows RT now in Windows Store | ZDNet See also: How to Install Metro Apps from Windows 8 Store
Read more at: How Microsoft is killing off the Zune and Windows Live brands in Windows 8 | The Verge
More - Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 Embedded, There’s a Trend at Microsoft - Softpedia
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook